Weird brake pad wear

nobeard

Never seen this before.  Just bought the TRX850 and the front brakes aren't great.  No judder, bid wooden, not a lot of bite.

Just bled them and a little air came out of each - should help.  Fluid is newish.

Pads out, 7 of the 8 pistons push back with thumb pressure but pretty clean.

Pads are virtually new EBC HH, but the have a look at the wear on them - vertical ridges - quite jagged.  Discs look and feel fine.  I've never this before - any ideas?

hSNBpuI.jpg

The vertical bits look like someone has scraped a hacksaw blade down them, (perhaps to remove glazing/contamination/aid bedding in) then the true wear is the front to back, so I would say Bin them.

pads are cheap 

I'll definitely be binning them.  Just wanted to check if it could be some other issue that would cause this - and thus knack the new pair.

You might be right - exactly the same pattern/width throughout. What an odd thing to do.

Edited by nobeard

Yes, its got Blue Spots. The other line of thinking from a few has been it's stlll running the original master cylinder.

3 hours ago, nobeard said:

Never seen this before.  Just bought the TRX850 and the front brakes aren't great.  No judder, bid wooden, not a lot of bite.

Just bled them and a little air came out of each - should help.  Fluid is newish.

Pads out, 7 of the 8 pistons push back with thumb pressure but pretty clean.

Pads are virtually new EBC HH, but the have a look at the wear on them - vertical ridges - quite jagged.  Discs look and feel fine.  I've never this before - any ideas?

hSNBpuI.jpg

(Puts nerdy rivett counter hat on) If you have blue spots on your trx,the pads should be fa252,those im pretty sure are fa380,they have the same 50.4 x69x8.7mm size but according to my ebc book,ebc have them as fitment for later yams and not  the early blue spots yams.

• Thanks 1