Rusted on gearbox sprocket

Arran

Got a bike with the gearbox sprocket totally rusted on.

Tried a 3 leg puller/ gentle heat and plus gas.

It's not for shifting. Anyone any bright ideas apart from setting fire to the bike?

Not something I have come across before.

More heat. Order a new output shaft seal.

• Like 2

Dremel/angle grind a slit into it from top down to the shaft, don't knick the shaft. If that doesn't work, do another one from the bottom. If it doesn't fall off after that then just set fire to it. 

That was a long read. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself no end.

Hoping not to have to resort to cutting it. It's quite a deep spline boss that goes right back to the output shaft bearing.

Trying to find a local garage with a hydraulic puller first. Anyone used one?

Then if that won't shift it I might try running a weld bead round.

10 hours ago, Arran said:

That was a long read. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself no end.

Hoping not to have to resort to cutting it. It's quite a deep spline boss that goes right back to the output shaft bearing.

Trying to find a local garage with a hydraulic puller first. Anyone used one?

Then if that won't shift it I might try running a weld bead round.

I assume you've been applying some sort of penetrant over the past few days? Not WD40, that's no good for this, something like Owatrol Transyl, or GT85, or a 50/50 mix of diesel and acetone. 

Failing that you could also try applying a rust remover such as Frosts. If possible, with the bike on an axle stand try and tip it slightly to the right (but only slightly, don't want it falling over) then apply the rust remover to the splines it will run down towards the sprocket and into it, gradually eating away at the rust. Again, do this over a few days.

In any event it will be worth doing one or other of the above before getting a hydraulic puller on it; it'll make life easier and lessen any potential damage to the output shaft bearing in the crankcase.

• Like 1