Eck, what's caused this then?

srad34

Crikey, just been checking over the K3 trackbike and ready to put slicks back on (optimistic as usual!) and noticed this on my front Supercorsa that's coming off... 😕. It's not leaking or through to the carcass but fit for the bin I would think. Last used on track in March, late 2019 dates... 😁

IMG-5207.JPG

Send that back to Dunlop, oh it's a Pirelli.

I've only ever seen that in hand laid development tyres. Never noticeable when hot, but can turn up after it cools down. Dunlop always want those back to them for analysis, They cut them up for a look inside. Have never seen on a front.

Never got a firm answer for what they want to learn, But I always assumed that it's a problem with the Aramid reinforcement belts not behaving in the outer radial layer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooohhhh #RARE #BARNFIND #FACTORYRACER...... I'm going to be rich beyond my wildest dreams..... 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, srad34 said:

Crikey, just been checking over the K3 trackbike and ready to put slicks back on (optimistic as usual!) and noticed this on my front Supercorsa that's coming off... 😕. It's not leaking or through to the carcass but fit for the bin I would think. Last used on track in March, late 2019 dates... 😁

IMG-5207.JPG

Someone’s had a go at your tyre with an angle grinder. Easy. Does your significant other have a decent policy on your good self? If it happened to me, I’d simply blame the children...

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Timbo S2 said:

Someone’s had a go at your tyre with an angle grinder. Easy. Does your significant other have a decent policy on your good self? If it happened to me, I’d simply blame the children...

Tbf, she might have been trying to help get rid of my chicken strips but misunderstood the brief 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

I've seen this a few times with Supercorsas / Racetecs - being a bit cold when fitted is usually to blame. Did you buy it new or as a scrub?

It was new, used for one TD and swapped out for slicks, only to be refitted in March..

36 minutes ago, srad34 said:

It was new, used for one TD and swapped out for slicks, only to be refitted in March..

I've seen more do that at the start of the year than any other time.

it does look like the  result of "freezing"

The tyre has been run with the split in it though.

It's not a construction issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blow_away said:

Send it back to Pirelli. 

@EvilSpike had a similar issue ISTR?

Yup, I had a Metzler do that to me at Jerez. I bought it from the tyre chap at the early November event back in 2017 I think? He fitted it, I used it for a day and noticed it had started to peel in a straight line similar to yours at two places on each side.

I sent it back to the tyre chap who forwarded it on to Pirelli. They wrote to me and told me they would sent me a new, free tyre on the condition that I accepted it was no fault of Pirellis.

I accepted and received the tyre but now think they are twats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

Yup, I had a Metzler do that to me at Jerez. I bought it from the tyre chap at the early November event back in 2017 I think? He fitted it, I used it for a day and noticed it had started to peel in a straight line similar to yours at two places on each side.

I sent it back to the tyre chap who forwarded it on to Pirelli. They wrote to me and told me they would sent me a new, free tyre on the condition that I accepted it was no fault of Pirellis.

I would be chuffed for a replacement tbf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

Do you still use Metzler? 

It was the whole "mention this to anyone and the deals off..." heavy handedness that I didn't like.

Since I started racing in Minitwins I've used Continentals a lot and really like them. I get the same amount of wear out if them, laptimes are far more to do with my lack of talent than through lack of grip or feedback, and a pair of Contis seem to be about £50 less than a pair of Supercorsas or Racetec's

• Thanks 1

Well to update, the Pirelli CS team called and after sending a pic have asked if I can take to a local pirelli dealer (28 miles away) and they will send it back.

No mention of a replacement and they have said they will write to me when their tech have assessed it.... They wont commit to anything until they have checked it which is fair enough so probs take it there on Friday and if I get a free tyre, all good which is good as it's only done a day and a half...