argh! f***ing fuel pump electrical connector

MonkeyJim

so, I have to admit I hate this particular type of connector with a passion.

This triangular three pin (Sumitomo?) connector is the bain of my fucking life.

It's fitted to the RC8 fuel pump and is identical to the one fitted to the K6's fuel pump, which I also hated.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just seems to be massive ball ache to separate the two halves, and it never gets any better.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:03 PM, MonkeyJim said:

The leak is on this section of hose, from pump to coupler.

20200531-094431.jpg

So hopefully a relatively easy fix with a new piece of hose.

Had a casualty along the way - pump connector has lost its wires. 

20200531-120315.jpg

To be honest I fucking hate these connectors, it was the exact same one on the k6 fuel pump and I find them really awkward for some reason.  Might look into replacing it with a different sort.

So, suggestions for a replacement please?  And ideally one that will use the already crimped connections, is that possible?  I have no idea.

I've successfully replaced the pins for now in the housing, but if it's not too much arse to swap over to a different type, I might just do it now while I'm replacing the leaking fuel hose

PS I've also noticed there's 3 wires coming from the pump, but only 2 wires leaving the other half of the connector - one hole is blanked off. 

weird.  which I've just noticed is an anagram of wired.  appropriate. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

so, I have to admit I hate this particular type of connector with a passion.

This triangular three pin (Sumitomo?) connector is the bain of my fucking life.

It's fitted to the RC8 fuel pump and is identical to the one fitted to the K6's fuel pump, which I also hated.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just seems to be massive ball ache to separate the two halves, and it never gets any better.

So, suggestions for a replacement please?  And ideally one that will use the already crimped connections, is that possible?  I have no idea.

I've successfully replaced the pins for now in the housing, but if it's not too much arse to swap over to a different type, I might just do it now while I'm replacing the leaking fuel hose

PS I've also noticed there's 3 wires coming from the pump, but only 2 wires leaving the other half of the connector - one hole is blanked off. 

weird.  which I've just noticed is an anagram of wired.  appropriate. 

The three wires from the pump is probably just used in other use applications, but not on your bike. It will be an off-the-shelf part I’d imagine.

Edited by David W
  • Like 1

Why not put the pins back in with the retaining tabs bent up?

They should stay put then.

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Why not put the pins back in with the retaining tabs bent up?

They should stay put then.

I've put the pins back in already, said that above, so I can use it again.

But I want to know what alternatives there are to this design, which i really don't like.  Is it just me that finds them really difficult?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

But I want to know what alternatives there are to this design, which i really don't like.  Is it just me that finds them really difficult?

It’s not something that I have had a problem with, or know of being an issue, apart from your experience.

I have taken these apart to change wiring before, hence knowing about the tabs.

You might be just unlucky.

You can get free samples from places like Samtec

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MonkeyJim said:

My 750 had at least 3 of them in the loom - fuel pump, gear indicator and throttle body - and I never had a problem. Like a lot of electrical connectors the knack is finding where to push, pull or press.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Swarf said:

Super seal connectors seem pretty decent?

This ^

Either Super Seal or Deutsch DT series connectors. Normally I'd get them from Koyajcat https://kojaycat.co.uk/ but they seem closed at the moment due to COVID, they do both types there, sell them as a set with both sides and all contacts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Swarf said:

Super seal connectors seem pretty decent?

They are very good and easy to assemble and waterproof as well. I used them to rewire my Fireblade.

@MonkeyJim i have a good few spare superseal connectors and pins and can send you a couple if you want to PM your address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toneale said:

They are very good and easy to assemble and waterproof as well. I used them to rewire my Fireblade.

@MonkeyJim i have a good few spare superseal connectors and pins and can send you a couple if you want to PM your address.

Thanks that's a very kind offer, much appreciated, I'll pm you.  Cheers :icon_salut:

Deutsch & sureseal connectors i used extensively in my days working on caterpillar earthmoving kit, where they were fitted as standard, I liberated the sureseal kit when I left and still use them to this day. 

• Like 1