Documetary on the creation of the Motoczysz C1

dfv8

Great video. What an awesome project, with some awesome people on it. 

He was clearly a gifted guy, along the lines of Britten, knew how to surround themselves with the right technical team. 

On 6/10/2020 at 3:09 PM, theo said:

Great video. What an awesome project, with some awesome people on it. 

He was clearly a gifted guy, along the lines of Britten, knew how to surround themselves with the right technical team. 

I knew Adrian Hawkins and Dr. Simon Jackson when they worked at Cosworth. The guy in the dyno room in the documentary mentioned that they both worked there. I’d production engineered the pistons for the engine.

• Like 3

Watched this again last night. Real case of what could have been - though I always felt it was too different to achieve in one jump - trialing conventional suspension first could have been the best option in hindsight, and freed up funding for the engine. 

hopefully someone will resurrect the ideas later on...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TLRS said:

Great watch.. very fascinating concept. So what happened.. did this really go nowhere?

Basically it was kiboshed with the Dorna  rule changes of using 800cc instead of 990cc engines in 2007.

3 hours ago, dfv8 said:

Basically it was kiboshed with the Dorna  rule changes of using 800cc instead of 990cc engines in 2007.

Yes, bad timing. If the guy was still alive, they might have returned for the current engine rules. But, even Ilmor couldn't find the necessary monies to continue, and they got a lot further.

5 hours ago, dfv8 said:

Hmm and repurposing it for the street was not viable. And high end all inclusive trackday probably wasn't a thing back then, probably?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, really enjoyed that.

Hadn't realised how radical some of it was - engine design particularly interesting.  

wonder why no-one else has tried this?

agree with @Timbo S2, perhaps if they'd just stuck with convential ie proven suspension, at least to begin with, they might of got further by being able to concentrate on the engine.

But visionary thinking doesn't work like that I guess.

• Like 1