ZX10R D model high revs at idle

srad34

Hi all, my pal has a ZX10R D model (07) and has only had for a couple of weeks. It's completely stock and was running fine until today when for some reason it's trying to idle at 6k after getting up to temp...

It did it only once the bike was up to temp and once restarted it was struggling to idle but temp is fine, fan cutting in so thinking air/water temp sensors are fine.

The ride back was fine and it's idling okay again.... 🤔

Whilst it seems okay now, I want sorted for his safety - The throttle has plenty of free play, no air leaks or trapped cables and seems to pull well if a touch jerky with WOT.... Thinking it could be a duff TPS as it's not very good on fuel (80 miles before light), sooty tailpipes but not mapped or got a PC - he did not notice any warning lights when it was revving its tits off...?

Can theTPS be removed and cleaned or just replaced, it's got just over 20k on the bike... Or is it something else?

Been on a couple of Zx10 forums and the answer to most problems is put on more rim tape and monster stickerz 🤣

Thoughts welcomed (as long as they are not smutty) 😝

Does the secondary throttle butterfly servo thing have a linkage to up the throttle stop a bit for cold starts? Some bloke on the internet says it does but I didn't see it on the fiche. Might be worth a look. Also, the bodies apparently have pilot air screws!  

3 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

Does the secondary throttle butterfly servo thing have a linkage to up the throttle stop a bit for cold starts? Some bloke on the internet says it does but I didn't see it on the fiche. Might be worth a look. Also, the bodies apparently have pilot air screws!  

Hmmm, he's only had it a couple of weeks from a shop so unless it's something easy to sort, I guess it's going to go back.... It's the intermittent part that's the concern, if it was air or even servo linkage, would it not do it all the time?

If its under warranty it's someone else's problem. Could be nothing, but then it could turn out to be expensive, let them foot the bill.

If it's idling at 6000rpm, air is getting in somewhere. Thats a mechanical issue first and foremost, not a sensor issue.

I don't think these are fly by wire. Does it have an idle control valve?

1 hour ago, Superdunc said:

If it's idling at 6000rpm, air is getting in somewhere. Thats a mechanical issue first and foremost, not a sensor issue.

I don't think these are fly by wire. Does it have an idle control valve?

I have no idea, it's not mine and not going to be doing the work, just trying to pinpoint possible causes with what it's doing, or was doing... 👍