ThunderCat, Foxeye TPS and Advancing

Evilchicken0

My project bike is a tuned ThunderCat (4TV) engine, TCat carbs Foxeye (4JH) loom and CDI.

It will idle but if I (or the garage) try to give it any throttle it spits (through the pipe) and "wont have none of it". 

The TCat carbs have a TPS but the 4jh ones don't ...

Tell me of TPS why it might be needed or not - are TPS carbs that different to the non TPS ones ... etc 

I went everything Tcat on mine to avoid as many compatibility issues as poss... I just want a simple life!

Edited by srad34
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swarf said:

Quick google suggests you need the chundercat loom and cdi.

To run tps, yes. 

The garage / dyno man says hes pretty sure it's an ignition thing ... 

And the standard flywheel doesn't fit on the crank end, which is odd. The only reason for that would be changing the crank and the only thing I've see doing that is stroking the engine

I'm trying to work out how the cdi changes the timing based on the tps readings. The thundercat engine may need some sort of adjustment to run without it maybe?? All seems a bit black magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannn said:

This chap has fucked the carbs up... 😉

fm9fe73.jpg

Bastard !!!

They're not even the thundercat carbs 

Edited by Evilchicken0

I run thundercat carbs on my t/cat fzr4/6 with the tps disconnected with no issues.Ive just set the tps on  my fazer and trx,and am led to beleive if the tps  unit is disconnected it defaults to full advance,though i cant tell you where i read it.I had a similar issue when i first built mine and it was the wires running down to the flywheel,they had become corroded and had been in contact with the flywheel itself,hope you get it sorted though boris

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:51 PM, hybrid400 said:

I run thundercat carbs on my t/cat fzr4/6 with the tps disconnected with no issues.Ive just set the tps on  my fazer and trx,and am led to beleive if the tps  unit is disconnected it defaults to full advance,though i cant tell you where i read it.I had a similar issue when i first built mine and it was the wires running down to the flywheel,they had become corroded and had been in contact with the flywheel itself,hope you get it sorted though boris

I'm running a 4JH cdi, the 4jh didnt have a TPS.

The wires to the flywheel is interesting, if I can get the (standard) flywheel (with magnets) onto the crank that might help 

• Like 1