Low profile front brake master cylinder?

hawkati

Having raised the 996 handlebars a tad I find the reservoir is touching the fairing slightly, which is Really Fucking Annoying pulling out of junctions. 

It's tetris central there with the handlebar, reservoir,  throttle etc all neatly interfering so I can't dial it out with adjustment. 

Is there a reservoir that's not so deep? I'll bung pics up soon as, cheers!

29 minutes ago, sev said:

How about bend the bracket a little?

or maybe mount the reservoir under the bracket instead of on top?

Trust me, if it was that easy...I bent the bracket down to the point that the bottom of the reservoir touches the top of the handlebar. I can't shift it further along the handlebar because the throttle cable housing is in the way. I can't simply rotate the front brake mech since it's up against the clip on. I'll take some pics tomorrow but there's almost no room to manoeuvre. 

I'll bung the old clip ons back on if I can't resolve this dagnammit!

Surely, something off a bike that's got a reservoir built into the master cylinder is the way to go? An early CBR600RR for example.

Discacciati does a 19mm master cylinder with a low profile reservoir. Best radial m/c in the business IMHO, bit spendy mind.

8 hours ago, hawkati said:

Trust me, if it was that easy...I bent the bracket down to the point that the bottom of the reservoir touches the top of the handlebar. I can't shift it further along the handlebar because the throttle cable housing is in the way. I can't simply rotate the front brake mech since it's up against the clip on. I'll take some pics tomorrow but there's almost no room to manoeuvre. 

I'll bung the old clip ons back on if I can't resolve this dagnammit!

Can you put a longer hose between the MCyl and the reservoir and move the reservoir out of the way?

• Like 1

The answer might well be staring me in the face. I bunged the brakes from the cbr 400 on the hawk recently as a job lot with brake lever & reservoir. I'm sure it's shallower than the brembo with quite the multi adjustable bracket so could well do the job. I've still got the original brake/cylinder hawk setup and that will go well with the cbr brakes since they're the same calipers.

Will have a closer look when I get home.

7 hours ago, sev said:

if you want to try the 999 master I've got a spare that you can play with.

Thank you. That's really appreciated. I've not ridden it yet since I ran out of time today but here's before and after with the reservoir nicked from the hawk.

2020-05-18_05-46-182020-05-18_09-30-49

You can clearly see the before & after differences. 

Yup, less bucket, more rocks.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 2moto said:

Now, I'm sure I read somewhere that you're a dab hand with hammers. Surely, that should sort it. 😁

..the mythology continues...😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2moto said:

Now, I'm sure I read somewhere that you're a dab hand with hammers. Surely, that should sort it. 😁

He can’t tighten up bar end mirrors though.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

He can’t tighten up bar end mirrors though.

you gotta have them loose enough to throw at fellow ldd riders.....:ph34r:

12 hours ago, 2moto said:

12 hours ago, hawkati said:

..the mythology continues...😛

You're damn right it's a myth, if you were any good with them you wouldn't have to keep going back to get a bigger one.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

You're damn right it's a myth, if you were any good with them you wouldn't have to keep going back to get a bigger one.

I have occasionally used other tools. Don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I have occasionally used other tools. Don't tell anyone. :ph34r:

Mole grips, i bet, you absolute heathen.

4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Mole grips, i bet, you absolute heathen.

yeah, jeweller's files, jackhammers, the works...