Flywheel modification

agressor

Hey Party People,

been riding my zx12r with out flywheel and must say it was big improvement how engine revs.

However need to mount it back because of energy lack.

My question is how can I make flywheel lighter? Is there any well known solution to do this?

Founded such pic.

proxy?sig=cca7a13f4bb431096a2fd96dd0e4bc

• Like 1

I run a gsxr 1000 k5 rotor/stator in my NC30.  It is 600g vs 1.8kg for the original. 

It needs an adaptor fitting but proves that as long as your crank end taper is the same you can fit anything. 

I'll bet there is a rotor to fit from a smaller bike in the Kawasaki range

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TLRS said:

No flywheel must sound quite interesting!

Well..., I pushed it few times, but it revs much quicker, sound was a bit different. Flywheel is about 1.2kg so it make a different to shave it off engine rotating mass.

1 hour ago, CMSMJ1 said:

I run a gsxr 1000 k5 rotor/stator in my NC30.  It is 600g vs 1.8kg for the original. 

It needs an adaptor fitting but proves that as long as your crank end taper is the same you can fit anything. 

I'll bet there is a rotor to fit from a smaller bike in the Kawasaki range

Thanks, I was thinking about it, but to be honest I dont know how to start looking for it.

• Like 1

Usually the flywheel has magnets which charge the battery via the alternator. Some have pick up points on them (yours doesn't like it has).

You can get a flywheel lightened ... 

6 minutes ago, Evilchicken0 said:

Usually the flywheel has magnets which charge the battery via the alternator. Some have pick up points on them (yours doesn't like it has).

You can get a flywheel lightened ... 

Thx for info.

20 hours ago, CMSMJ1 said:

I've seen that 02 onwards flywheel is different and you may get chance to have it machined.

I can't find the taper on the crank so that you can see if anything else fits. 

Some excellent tech reading on this site. 

I have this flywheel fitment

https://mngforce.typepad.com/nc450vdev/part-evolution-generator.html

Thank You for link and info. I guess will need to buy second one and tery to shave a bit of thickness and make it more "openwork".

I need it balancing also, am I right?

Like has been said, getting it machined down and rebalanced is the way to go. What year is your ZX12?

The A model already had a lighter crank and possibly flywheel than the B anyway. It was made heavier so the later bike was less of an arseache to ride/pose on for idiots who didn't want to look like a fool stalling the bike when showing off to the Sharons outside the local nail bar. 

I assume that's why it was done anyway. 😂FB-IMG-1588978290816.jpg

Mine had a billet clutch basket and lightened flywheel, really made it snappy, but you had to be good with the clutch to get a decent launch. On the other hand knowing the stock basket wasn't going to explode when punting it off the line like they do was nice. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lilredmachine said:

Like has been said, getting it machined down and rebalanced is the way to go. What year is your ZX12?

The A model already had a lighter crank and possibly flywheel than the B anyway. It was made heavier so the later bike was less of an arseache to ride/pose on for idiots who didn't want to look like a fool stalling the bike when showing off to the Sharons outside the local nail bar. 

I assume that's why it was done anyway. 😂

Mine had a billet clutch basket and lightened flywheel, really made it snappy, but you had to be good with the clutch to get a decent launch. On the other hand knowing the stock basket wasn't going to explode when punting it off the line like they do was nice. 

My 12 is 2000 year.

Thank for all replays.

7 hours ago, dansp1 said:

https://bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/index.php?cPath=40

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Race_Alternator_Systems-p2.html

If you can find an internal rotor type that can be made to work you lose the weight and reduce the diameter that the weight is on

I was looking for internal type and even at durbahns models but price is killing me.