ECU Elecktrickery help!!!

jollygiant

So I want to make this ECU base out of carbon (now theres a surprise!!) but it seems to be screwed to the motherboard.
Is this just for static as there are no wires attached to the outside of it and it just sits on undertray as standard? If needed I can just run a wire from the outside to earth on the battery or frame.
94785861_1549860095179278_81696164695045

95101751_241193887101112_584866430221444

Any info will be rewarded by a gram of the highest quality carbon dust:shock:

In your first pic the silver circle in the bottom right corner looks to be an unmasked part of a plain on the top layer of the PCB. This plain could be a ground plain. If this is the case (no pun intended) then the external case will be electrically connected through the mounting screw.  Grounding if a metal case is usually done for screening reasons to minimise electrical noise/interference.

The chances are that a carbon fibre box will not give the same screening, you can get carbon fibre designed for making electrical boxes that will give sufficient screening though. Whether losing this screening will cause any issues with the operation of the board due to electrical noise is difficult to say until you try it. 

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

In your first pic the silver circle in the bottom right corner looks to be an unmasked part of a plain on the top layer of the PCB. This plain could be a ground plain. If this is the case (no pun intended) then the external case will be electrically connected through the mounting screw.  Grounding if a metal case is usually done for screening reasons to minimise electrical noise/interference.

The chances are that a carbon fibre box will not give the same screening, you can get carbon fibre designed for making electrical boxes that will give sufficient screening though. Whether losing this screening will cause any issues with the operation of the board due to electrical noise is difficult to say until you try it. 

The carbon I use does seem to conduct fairly well, so it think I'll give it a go.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chris_c said:

line with aluminium tape???

You'd have to connect the tape/lining to the board (that screw terminal I mentioned previously) for proper screening but that would help.