Wheel bearings.

simonb

I have had my OZ wheels powdercoated and so decided to fit new wheel bearings while i'm on,the fronts tapped in fine using one of the old ones to tap in nice and flush.

The rears are a different story,i can push the sprocket sude one in with my fingers and though it fits snug with no play at all i can move the outer race slightly so obviously not tight against the hub,any suggestions as to why this could be and solutions?

I have tried the old bearing and it's the same,the disc side didn't take much tapping but it did need some force and seems ok and has the circlip to hold it tighter anyway.

I took them in complete with bearings and tyres and he removed them so no idea if they were like that before.

Edited by simonb

Any more clues? Oz wheels are usually anodised right? Was the bearing seat still coloured?

How about the guy who removed the old bearings, was he up for removing them in a tidy way?

3 hours ago, TLRS said:

Any more clues? Oz wheels are usually anodised right? Was the bearing seat still coloured?

How about the guy who removed the old bearings, was he up for removing them in a tidy way?

OZ are usualy anodized but these had been powdercoated before,the hub internal part or seat bit is bare alloy.

I rang the guy that did them,he has done me a couple more sets of these before and does a lot of bike stuff,and he said he seemed to remember them not taking a lot of tapping out but had put the bits in a box and forgot about it as i didn't want the tyres refiting and he thought i was replacing the  bearings anyway.

Edited by simonb

20 minutes ago, TLRS said:

Can you accurately check the diameter in the wheel?

Not got anything that accurate,i put some bush and sleeve bond on the outer of the bearing and gently tapped the bearing in so it is tightish to the spacer and left that over night and there is no movement at all now.

Did a bit of googling and seemed to be a few of these type of posts with regard to the OZ wheels with some even suggesting that is how it should be,seems unlikely to me though surely the outer race should not be able to move.

It's centred as the bearing is a snug fit to the spacer and flush but not had one go in as easy and never been able to move the outer race when fitted before.