MOT and Lights question...

alext

is there anything to stop me wiring up the lights on my VF/VFR thing to be on ALL the time ??

i.e. no 3 position (off/sidelights/main) switch, just them on all the time, sidelight too?

I need to swap the left switchgear cos there is too much wrong with it, and I can fit a nice early CBR one, issue is, the CBR has the light switch on the right side, whereas the VF one is a combined 3-position off/side/on and then push for high, then push again for dip - its really dodgy and hard to get a replacement, CBR stuff is easy to find, but i would need to wire up the lights  so they are on all the time, no real issue for me as I would have them on anyway.

Ta

ALex.

Although the MOT manual refers to 'Position Lights' (and then bases quite a bit of further lighting requirements back to these) it does then state that Position lights can be the low beam headlight.  So from that point of view, no problem at all.  Plus the fact that many bikes don't have a 'lights off' switch and in fact is now a requirement that they are on all the time.

But on a technical level, you may have a battery drain issue but there is a way to have the lights only come on after the engine start button has been pressed.  Have a look at a ZX10R wiring diagram (I think, could be wrong)

1 hour ago, Sideshow Pob said:

Although the MOT manual refers to 'Position Lights' (and then bases quite a bit of further lighting requirements back to these) it does then state that Position lights can be the low beam headlight.  So from that point of view, no problem at all.  Plus the fact that many bikes don't have a 'lights off' switch and in fact is now a requirement that they are on all the time.

But on a technical level, you may have a battery drain issue but there is a way to have the lights only come on after the engine start button has been pressed.  Have a look at a ZX10R wiring diagram (I think, could be wrong)

ta for this -not worried about drain - will only switch it on when about to start it. sidelight will work and be on.

My TLR is Canadian spec and came with lights permanently on dip or main , no sidelight fitted. 

It passed MOT`s like that with no comment.

To stop battery drain after it cooked the alternator I  put UK switchgear on and fitted an LED sidelight.