Rivnuts

bignige

Couple of threads pulled out on the gsxr, they are m6. Are all the ones listed on ebay the same external diameters? 

Do you dremel the old one out and use a Peter Sutcliffe type grip to force the new one in. 

I'm tempted to drill straight through and bang a nut on the end. 😊

IMG_20200426_132648

Drill the old one out then fit new. Go steady drilling the old one out, you don't want to enlarge the hole in the subframe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVERLINE-THREADED-RIVET-INSERT-TOOL-RIVNUT-INSERTER-4-8MM/352835617598?hash=item5226a4433e:g:LGwAAOSw50Bdtpxe

Don't be tempted to squeeze too hard or you'll snap the mandrel or strip the threads out of the insert, especially the aluminium inserts.

Most tools come with steel inserts but aluminium are available.

Edited by Phlik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Phlik said:

Don't be tempted to squeeze too hard or you'll snap the mandrel or strip the threads out of the insert, especially the aluminium inserts.

Wise words.

It is not the same as using a pop riveter, as I found out the first time I used a rivnut gun.

Order up some alloy rivnuts.   Do not use steel, the alloy around it will corrode like fuck due to anodic corrosion.   If you drill through the frame, I will come round and confiscate the bike.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, bignige said:

On the advice of @Phlik and @Superdunc I now have a tool and some alloy nuts heading my way.

My treat myself to some drill bits, any idea what size I need? 

7/8/9 mm? 

What thread size are the current rivnuts? I've got m5, m6 and m8 aluminium rivnuts in the garage I'll measure the diameter

44 minutes ago, Phlik said:

What thread size are the current rivnuts? I've got m5, m6 and m8 aluminium rivnuts in the garage I'll measure the diameter

M6

👍

8.80mm. Try and get as close as you can, I've always preferred them to be a little snug on insertion.

If you do imperial then an 11/32nd is a shade under or an S is a shade over 8.80mm

• Thanks 1

This kind of tool is cheap enough to use a few times but it won't last long, trust me I know! I use them on some of my products. I do have a better one, which you are welcome to borrow but you would need to come to mine as I use it a lot.

24 minutes ago, Phlik said:

8.80mm. Try and get as close as you can, I've always preferred them to be a little snug on insertion.

If you do imperial then an 11/32nd is a shade under or an S is a shade over 8.80mm

@bignige

Forgot you were replacing an existing rivnut, drill the flange off it carefully and tap it in to the frame then see what hole size you've got to work with first.

5 minutes ago, Phlik said:

@bignige

Forgot you were replacing an existing rivnut, drill the flange off it carefully and tap it in to the frame then see what hole size you've got to work with first.

Or carefully drill the centre out and fold/ squash the flange over and pull it out and you won't damage the hole.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, bignige said:

Thought this was gonna be a pain in the arse but was actually a piece of piss. 

Cheers ladies 

IMG_20200509_144904

👍

Looks like I will be doing this soon. The rivnut was turning , so had to drill the head off one of the Allen bolts that holds the pillion footrest hanger onto the frame :( 

Actually , looking at your photo it may be the same one as you have changed

2 minutes ago, Mark/Foggy said:

A passenger held on by RivNuts, you are having A Giraffe aren't you....

Fuck me that's not a good idea.

Standard footpeg fitment, I can vouch that one or two ladies have been on the back.. 

😋

Just to clarify, this is about motorcycle design, not a slur on those that are obviously running the planet and ultimately limiting the number of toys that we can purchase.