Shock oil

lorenzo

After the anglesey exertions I found that the back end of the bike was getting a little soggy and I'm also guessing that despite the age of the bike, a '97 ZX7R, nobodies ever rebuilt the back shock. As me and thefatman are fully qualified suspension technicians due to our work on the bros project I've decided that I could probably do a refresh job on it. No revalving, no respringing (I'm one of the few who's about the right weight for the back spring anyway), just pulling it apart, maybe putting a new seal on it, and certainly getting some nice new oil in there. I'm also guessing that there's somebody on here who probably runs a business selling this sort of thing for a living (Tootall? Morepower?). So, what weight oil am I going to need to get it back to stock, and where do I get the good stuff from?

PS. 01 gang/foolery, last summer it was leaking fork oil, but now it isn't. Does that mean the fork oil was done in the last 12 months?

Silkolene Pro RSF 5w should do it. Or Ohlins shock oil if your feeling flash although the specs are almost the same.

And K-tech should sell you a new seal head for it, but probably not needed.

PS. 01 gang/foolery, last summer it was leaking fork oil, but now it isn't. Does that mean that there's none left in there?

Fixed for you.

as for the shock oil, best off talking to Rich.

Maxton are a short(ish) drive from me, I can get them to gas it once I've done, but they're not local enough to justify 2 trips down there, 1 to get oil and another to get it regassed. Critical to it all is the correct weight of the oil though, and that's what I really need to know before I pull it all to bits.

Maxton did a full respring, re valve, re fresh re oil etc on my zx6r shock, miles better than stock all for about £160 , if you re only after a service they may be able to it for less. Also Kais service my Steelie's Ohlins unit for £90, I don't see why they should want any more for a kwaka shock, the labour is much the same.

Mark

I can sort out the oil and possibly new seals if needed.. but you will need to re-gas the shock......

The volume of oil is just as important as the weight, so you need to know this also.

I've never tried but it possible that your local citroen dealer could gas the shock as they use nitrogen in the suspension spheres on older models. you would need to know the correct pressure though.

I use Motul Shock Oil

It has a high VI of 400 (ie viscosity deson't change that much with the tmep of the oil so no fade)

Don't use fork oil etc as the VI of this is crap and you will suffer from fade as the shock gets hot

Most bikes can get hold of Motul if you ask them even if they don't carry it in stock

The shock should be full of oil

Any air will cause cavitation ad affect damping

Fill the shock with oil

Push the valve and rod assy into the bottom, top up with oil, then with the schrader valve removed fromt he bladder, push the seal head in.

Next add about 20psi to the bladder, and carefully remove the compression damper adjuster to allow trapped air to escape

Check the shock has no trapped air - pump the shock up and down - any air will clearly be felt.

Repeat above steps

Charge the shock with 150psi of nitrogen

Archived