Replacement brake pads

yorkshirepudding

Just read the article in this months mag about brake pads, but still not sure...

I reckon I'm due some new ones on my 750 K6, but am put off using aftermarket pads after trying EBC HH pads years ago on a 1999 VTR Firestorm. The pads worked well, and seemed to be an improvement over standard, but the discs warped in no time and cost me £300 for a new pair. What I'm wondering is this - would the discs have warped anyway (bike had done about 14k miles), or did the pads cook 'em?

Seems the price of OE and EBC are about the same, and I've never had any problems with braking power on standard pads anyway. What would you lot go for?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Just read the article in this months mag about brake pads, but still not sure...

I reckon I'm due some new ones on my 750 K6, but am put off using aftermarket pads after trying EBC HH pads years ago on a 1999 VTR Firestorm. The pads worked well, and seemed to be an improvement over standard, but the discs warped in no time and cost me £300 for a new pair. What I'm wondering is this - would the discs have warped anyway (bike had done about 14k miles), or did the pads cook 'em?

Seems the price of OE and EBC are about the same, and I've never had any problems with braking power on standard pads anyway. What would you lot go for?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers

I recall reading an article a while back, possibly even in PB, comparing OE and aftermarket pads. I think the conclusion was that OE were better in the wet and pads such as EBC HH better on track/in the dry. If you use your bike all year round and for commuting you're probably better off with OE pads. However if you're a track day/fast road riding junkie then EBCs or similar are probably they way.

I ran EBC HH pads on a 98 Firestorm a couple of years ago (front and back) and had no problems in several thousands miles of fast road, track and fast touring in the Pyrenees. Bike had 16K on it when I sold it and original discs. I wonder if your calipers were binding slightly and discs being warmed up that way and warped eventually? Mind you I rarely used my brakes except when I need to stop completely - I prefered to drop a cog or two and roll off the throttle - my riding mates always thought my brake light was broken!! Kept 'em guessing!!

Hope my 2penneth helps....

Corners

I've not been overly impressed with the EBC HH's i fitted to my Firblade last year. They seem to lack any initial bite to me. They do stop and stop well but i like to feel when the brakes start to bite and i don't think they do that very well!

ive got a question about new pads too.

Just brought some carbon lorain pads but ive noticed that they come without a anti rattle/ heat transfere shim. Is this right? Ive always had shims with other pads ive brought

sorry, i meant GOLD Fren. CERAMIC CARBON TECHNOLOGY HH PERFORMANCE. not carbon lorain

The Goldfren pads aren't great, TBH.

A lot of pads come without the shims / plates - I like Carbone Loraine A3+ compound - good initial bite with a good build of power and excellent feel.

Not that fussed about the SBK compounds - not for the road, anyway.

The Goldfren pads aren't great, TBH.

A lot of pads come without the shims / plates - I like Carbone Loraine A3+ compound - good initial bite with a good build of power and excellent feel.

Not that fussed about the SBK compounds - not for the road, anyway.

They be aright on a trackbike or they ganna glaze up?

I recall reading an article a while back, possibly even in PB, comparing OE and aftermarket pads. I think the conclusion was that OE were better in the wet and pads such as EBC HH better on track/in the dry. If you use your bike all year round and for commuting you're probably better off with OE pads. However if you're a track day/fast road riding junkie then EBCs or similar are probably they way.

Might risk some EBCs or similar then, was maybe just unlucky with the warped discs before. I generally stick to fine weather fast road riding with the occasional inters group trackday, so aftermarket sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the replies!

I've just fitted EBC HH pads all round on my ZX6R, first ride out was 150 miles of pissing rain, next real ride out was Anglesey trackday, they completely out performed the standard pads on my bike and are without doubt the best pads I've ever used on any bike be it wet or dry weather.

Archived