R1 Clocks resetting

rndnick

Hi all,

Every time I start my bike the trip computer has reset itself. It's a y2k R1 (5JJ). Anyone have any ideas why?

TIA

Check the multiplugs going up to the front , it's not unknown for the corrosion monster to pay a visit ( red / green wire off the top of my bald bit )HTH

Hi all,

Every time I start my bike the trip computer has reset itself. It's a y2k R1 (5JJ). Anyone have any ideas why?

TIA

Thanks, just bought the bike, now running through the little niggly problems!

Check the multiplugs going up to the front , it's not unknown for the corrosion monster to pay a visit ( red / green wire off the top of my bald bit )HTH

^^^^^ correct, Ronenige is referring to the large white connector block which links the front loom [for clocks, headlights etc] to the main wiring loom.

it's a known weak point and corrosion there is a common cause of electrical problems at the front end. lots of WD40 / silicone spray / silicone grease helps keep the water out.

it's located under the faux-carbon infill panel, under the clutch lever behind the LHS headlight. the two halves of the connector block can be a bugger to pull apart!

Also, whip the rider's seat off [two bolts] and check the battery connections and fuses. From memory, one of the low-rated fuses provides a back-up power supply to the clocks when the ignition is switched off. Sounds like that may have blown, hence the clocks losing memory when the ignition is off.

HTH

No, it comes on as normal; turn the key, couple of lights come on then go off, rev counter does it's check then sits back at 0. As far as I know, normal.

how old is the battery?

Last year after the winter layup, my SP1 did this. Just enough power to start the bike, but to the detriment of everything else.

changed the battery and all was A-OK.

course ronenige works for yam, so he probably (definitely) will know better than I.

I had that on my 4xv R1 a few years back. It was the fuse for the clock unit that was the cause.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

TIA

I've had similar problems with mine,the clock kept going back to 12:00,then the battery kept going flat.

So i bought a new battery and that went flat as well.

Read the posts on here so decided to check the multi plug on the left-hand side and found the only bit of un-insulated wiring loom on the whole bike had rubbed thru on the fairing fastener and caused the battery to ground to earth.

I would never have found it if i hadn't read these posts.

Many thanks guys :thumbsup:

Archived