Elliot tacho installation.

Mr Tea

We all know they stopped trading several years ago but I’m struggling to get mine to work on the ow and buggered if I can find any wiring diagrams or instructions on the net.

mine works but reads a max of around 6000 rpm so for me it’s reading around half.

i know the one I’m Using works fine on an IL4 and I now know mine is wired in via the signal wire to the ECU .

any thoughts or advice welcome .

9 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

We all know they stopped trading several years ago but I’m struggling to get mine to work on the ow and buggered if I can find any wiring diagrams or instructions on the net.

mine works but reads a max of around 6000 rpm so for me it’s reading around half.

i know the one I’m Using works fine on an IL4 and I now know mine is wired in via the signal wire to the ECU .

any thoughts or advice welcome .

It should be better running it off the coils rather than the RPM signal wire, I know at least on the CB it creates interference and makes it bounce all over the place.

How many coils do you have? If you only have two, it might be the coils firing two cylinders each so its reading double the pulses than it should be (I think). I remember reading it when I was looking into the Koso, I'm sure if you can run a wire off the negative terminals with a diode and resistor which then goes to the tacho pick up wire it should allow it read the correct signal.

11 minutes ago, Wallie said:

It should be better running it off the coils rather than the RPM signal wire, I know at least on the CB it creates interference and makes it bounce all over the place.

How many coils do you have? If you only have two, it might be the coils firing two cylinders each so its reading double the pulses than it should be (I think). I remember reading it when I was looking into the Koso, I'm sure if you can run a wire off the negative terminals with a diode and resistor which then goes to the tacho pick up wire it should allow it read the correct signal.

This. 

37 minutes ago, Wallie said:

That's kinda what I had in my head that I did with my old SRAD , but so long ago I couldn't be 100%   .

28 minutes ago, kit-parts said:

Has it got coils anymore?

Sure has.

So whats this diode and resister thing you talk of then ?  I don't do sparks , its all voodoo I tell you.

8 minutes ago, Mr Tea said:

That's kinda what I had in my head that I did with my old SRAD , but so long ago I couldn't be 100%   .

Sure has.

So whats this diode and resister thing you talk of then ?  I don't do sparks , its all voodoo I tell you.

Literally grab a few bits of wire, a few diodes and a few resistors (probably like a 100k ohms?). Run a wire from the negative on both of the coils and wire the diode and resistors in parallel. Then run both of these into a single wire and then connect it to the signal pick up wire on the tacho.

It should be pretty straight forward, I'm shite with electrics but it should be easy enough!

What bike did the tacho come from? What setup did it have for making the sparkies?

As said elsewhere, it sounds very much like the trigger is only receiving half the pulses it needs to read correctly.

Actually, I'd just better check this, would you say it is reading at 50% throughout the whole rev range or is it behaving normally and then stopping at 6000?

As it happens, I'm after a period tacho for the srad so if you want to pass that one on and just get something that works out of the box for the OWO1, I'll take it off your hands.

1 minute ago, kit-parts said:

Well what a bag of wank. You had a new loom made and didn’t do a stick coil conversion 😂

You don't need a new loom to do that....

@Mr Tea You just buy some stick coils (e.g. CBR600) and its coil mini sub loom for the plugs....you then wire each (there will be two of them) of the existing coil feeds to its corresponding pair of stick coils in SERIES......job done. I kept the existing spade plugs on the existing coil feeds so I could plug coils back in should any probs arise with the stick coils. You might also want to buy a Ignitech...they are so cheap you might as well just buy one even if just to use the quickshifter cut... http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

As for your tacho feed......three places to try....CDI feed, tapping into one of the coil feeds and finally tapping into the ignition pickup feed. You can also buy tacho signal converter to fix the problem. It would also not surprised me if you took apart that Elliot and found some options to tweak the signal input.

Dan 🙂

Stick coils are for modern shite  ( that starts , runs and doesn't give me shite like this heap of puss is )

You are all starting to sound like Theo.

1 hour ago, Damnthistinleg said:

What bike did the tacho come from? What setup did it have for making the sparkies?

As said elsewhere, it sounds very much like the trigger is only receiving half the pulses it needs to read correctly.

Actually, I'd just better check this, would you say it is reading at 50% throughout the whole rev range or is it behaving normally and then stopping at 6000?

As it happens, I'm after a period tacho for the srad so if you want to pass that one on and just get something that works out of the box for the OWO1, I'll take it off your hands.

The second one ive got isn't actually mine and the owner is a 6ft4 beast of a man with a temper not seen since Attila the Hun.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, weeksy said:

A fine and noble plan, especially on an iconic bike...   Great work ! :D 

You also said this .

:D

The 1098 would of course be a weapon on the track but you just cant get the parts for it Steve, and I cant run the rest of it goiung wrong and me reducing it from a £15k to £25k ( depends on who you read)  bike to a heap of scrap that is nigh on impossible to repair.

45 minutes ago, kit-parts said:

Buy an OW01 they said, be grand they said.... 😃

It will be fat boy.............. maybe.

You have to take all my ramblings in context . What is a problem to me is a 10 minute fix to you lot on here. Its not my trade.

Would I buy it again  ?  with hindsight  no but if it does go to Jerez and is faultless then I may change my mind.

Do I wish id bought a gsxrR1ZX10 ?   No , I don't .  and to be honest if I wanted one I can still go and get one . Its no biggy .

2 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

The second one ive got isn't actually mine and the owner is a 6ft4 beast of a man with a temper not seen since Attila the Hun.

Can be placated by rum and small ferrets mind...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:08 AM, Damnthistinleg said:

That's actually mine Andy, I'll give you a call tomorrow.

• Like 1