restricting a zx10r

RaggedRabbit

I have been offered a Zx10r from a friend (who is moving country) at a very very reasonable price ! Thing is I wouldn't class myself as too experienced with bigger bikes as I've only dabbled with sports 600's but mostly ridden lesser bikes so I'm a bit apprehensive about taming the beast

I would love to take the bike off his hands and I was wondering if there was a way to restrict the bike temporarily to about 100 hp ??

I can't find anything about it online so I must be the only nutter thinking about doing something like this?!

Thanks

I guess you *could* restrict throttle movement using a restrictor stop/plate.

Personally I'd just get on it and try to maintain some self control until you're happy with tapping into the extra power - if you've ever run in a bike as the manufacturer recommends, it's pretty much the same thing. Just keep an eye on the revs and know how much throttle you're using and you'll be fine.

:icon_blackeye:

And the first time you decide to start going over your self-imposed limit, get it in 4th or 5th and wind the throttle open - that way you'll feel the power, but it'll be a lot less immediate than in, say, 2nd.

If you *really* want to restrict it then get some French spec parts(ECU/throttle bodies, maybe other bits?) - as they're all restricted to 106bhp, at the crank, claimed, as standard here..... :eusa_whistle:

Dave

Just take it easy for the first few months, you'll get used to it eventually.

I did a similar sort of thing last year, i had a 33bhp SV650 for 2 years, when the restriction ran out, i took the washers off, rode it at 70 odd HP for a week, then bought a gsxr750.

At first the power was too much for me, even scared me a little bit! but i eventaully got used to it, and as long as you're not a complete yardstick with the throttle, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck to ya! :icon_blackeye:

I think you'll be fine - just go steady - it's easier to ride a big torquey motor than it is a small bike you need to rev hard all the time.

Just recallibrate the right hand a bit... :eusa_whistle:

OR sell me the ZX10R !!! :icon_blackeye:

Cheers for your ideas

I forgot to mention the main reason I was concerned about the power is because I want to use it at track days but I think I have found the perfect solution - a nice little GSXR 400 track toy !

Keep the 10 for the road , even if I am a bit point and squirt with it

I have a 10r mate and if you go steady she'll be lovely to you, big engines are lovely for newer riders who can control themselves, as the power is nice and progressive.

Put it in top gear and its like an automatic.

Its when you get cocky they'll bite, my mate bought my 99 R1 off me as a new rider and he loves it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 10r mate and if you go steady she'll be lovely to you, big engines are lovely for newer riders who can control themselves, as the power is nice and progressive.

Put it in top gear and its like an automatic.

Its when you get cocky they'll bite, my mate bought my 99 R1 off me as a new rider and he loves it.

I also have a zx10r and one of the main reasons(apart from the 0% apr)for buying was it will do 30mph in 6th without spluttering to a halt.Just wind the power on and it just pulls nice and linear.This was important as I was doing a lot of commuting at the time in heavy traffic.It's only when you get to the top third of the rev range the engine changes and will really fly.

Archived