The Longest Day (ex)Up Challenge

Lushman

My story for the Longest Day Up started last October while reading an Article in MCN Website about the Longest Day Challenge. I looked in my garage and realised that the MT10 would not be acceptable but the FZR I had might be suitable. I went onto the website and looked at the details and thought, yes, I fancy doing this. After losing some family members and close friends to cancer I thought it would be a great tribute to do it for them, so I sent an email to John McAvoy and waited.  

In the mean time I started looking for a bike that I could use that would be more suitable than my FZR as I expected the FZR to be difficult to ride long over a distanceI had my heart set on a Suzuki Bandit 600 and my thought was to do the challenge and then have a go at racing on it. I was watching them on eBay, the prices were just going up and the Cheap ones were completely Shagged or sold before I got there.  I found one nearby for £600 and thought I could negotiate the price downs but not enough, so I walked away from it.  I kept searching but couldn’t find anything suitable in the price bracket. decided to use the FZR had in the Garage it was slightly over the £300 budget when I bought it but has newish tyres on it.

John’s email came through about joining the longest day up and I paid the £100 deposit and booked my holiday time off work.  

After posting on the performance Bikes Forum about my concerns regarding fitness and stamina and not really being a long-distance rider. I was told get used to riding longer distances is the priority. I need to get used to riding more than 100miles, riding a zr50 to Cornwall from Somerset covering over just 100 miles was 3 decades ago and other than a ride round the isle of man with a mate and the missus on the back of the MT10, 3 years ago was the last long ride I had done. The plan was to ride to my mums in Exmoor, Devon over the Easter weekend and then back home on the Monday.  A trip of 250 miles-ish each way. The question was which bike to take.

73F83D9B-F868-48CF-B897-4697D2B44898.jpeg.dfaa5fd6fdb0567f28a391ad89dbc0d9.jpeg                500 miles which would you ride broken exup, 959 or

The FZR was not running, the MT10 had now been replaced with a 959 Panigale which is great fun on very short trips but felt more like a contortionist’s pleasure tool at slower speeds, or CBR500 my missis spotted a deal at Wheels in Peterborough (less than £4k for a brand-newbike that wasn’t Chinese or a 125). The CBR was selected for my firstLong ride that will take me and my longest ride since riding a ZR50 to Cornwall over 30 years ago.

My route took me from Huntingdon along the A14 and then onto the A47 A43 toward Northampton and past Silverstone down a M40 onto the A34 to Swindon and then onto the M4. Where I stopped at the services for a brief rest. I was talking to the missus who was stuck in traffic in the car on the M5 just Bristol.  I thought I could catch her. so rather than come off at the A350 and head down the A303 I decided on the M4 and M5. That was so painful, the traffic was stop start and I realise on Motorways Car drivers are less observant than on regular roads so filtering was a dangerous affair around Bristol I latched onto the back of a Triumph scrambler which was filtering better than me so I kept in his tracks for as long as I could.  I caught up with My Missus at Tiverton she had been there a few minutes. The CBR worked well and coped better than me. I learned something that day, biking on busyMotorways is not for me and the CBR500R is to slow but does return good MPG close to 80.

A few days in Devon and I Found some great roads around Exmoor where I had a blast riding them especially between Bampton in Devon and Dunster near Minehead.

70B21E3F-504E-4900-A4E3-C04271025417.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
Typo
  • Like 6

The return journey I decided on taking the A30 rather than the A303 not realising that the part I rode would not be on the route as we would be using the A303 instead.  It was a relief due to the Number of 30 limits on that road, however the start of that route was winding and up and down sections and the CBR felt good on them, (the Ducati would have been Better though). Then onto the A350 and then M4 to Swindon and back up the A34 toward Northampton etc.  

After returning home after I realised how much fun riding is rather than my usual or occasional commute and finding some great roads in Exmoor and Somerset, I started to enjoy Motorcycling again.

The next step was to get the FZR up and running, MOT’d and Insured, a new battery turned it into a runner and then a trip to Stevelin’s Motorcycles in Ramsey Cambridgeshire to book it in for its MOT.  I rode it to work with it breaking down twice running out of fuel due to a wire breaking on the reserve switch. When I got it there, I asked Steve to give the FZR a look over to ensure everything is Ok with it and explained what I was doing on it.

He looked over the bike and is was pissing out petrol from the carbs and was running very rough.  He had it running sweet as thanks to the carbs being rebuilt and the old fuel being flushed out. It was then MOT and he gave it an oil change and few test rides giving me some advice on buying a double bubble screen and relocating the gear lever. He also donated a pair of Foam grips, which were the secret to my success on the rally.

My Final step was to refit the side panels for the Fairing and then start riding it more regularly and getting used to it calculating the MPG and how many Miles I can do on a tank.  

My first ride was to Coventry Motofest where I joined a motorcycle convoy into Coventry and completed a lap of the track (well half of the ring road) where they were performing the times trails and races. I Brought some flyers to get some interest, I met Pete from Camperccino as we were talking about VW Type 2s explaining that I also had a van.  He was impressed in the Longest Day up Challenge and wished me luck.  I didn’t get as much interest as I had hoped but I did meet a few crazy people and enjoyed myself.

I was shocked I could now do over 130 miles before hitting reservewhere as I was expecting 100 -120 miles on a tank was the usualSteve had worked his magic on the FZR it had never been so economical.Before the test ride.  

FB4E2D31-811A-4560-B949-874EA959AD63.jpeg

B53CB8B6-DEDC-4306-9EF2-BB7AB3529A54.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 6

The Double bubble Screen arrived on Friday and I fitted it that night.Then a 2nd test ride to Devon and back in covering almost 500 miles on a day set me up nicely for the event and the double bubble screen was doing its magic as were the foam grips help absorb the vibrations. The following weekend Mike at Anglia Signs in Chatteris created some Decals for the bike “GoLushman!!!”  and fitted them, he also cut and fitted the Cancer Research Stickers I had been sent from Jo at Cancer Research UKNow I was ready.

A quick ride up to the SportBikeShop near Boston on Tuesday for their monthly Motorcycle meet, yes it was wet, and I thought I could get some more interest and sponsors, but the wet weather put a lot of people off. met Tony from the SportsBikeShop and showed him the FZR and he told me that he will be driving one of the Support vehicles for the event.

The original plan was to have Wednesday off and ride down to Devon during the day stay at my Mums and then ride to the start line about 120 miles away on Thursday to get there for around 2pm.  However, I had to work on Wednesday.  I went to work on the FZR with all my gear I was taking, so a full tank bag and a back pack. At Lunchtime I went to see Steve at Stevelin Motorcycles in Ramsey and met the missus there as I had forgot a couple of things.  He got a few pictures of the bike and wished me good luck I headed back to work and filled with Fuel at the local shell garage on the way. At 5:45pm I headed to Devon taking a more direct route via the A14, M6, A46 and M5.  I was trying to get as close to Bristol as I could before Refuelling.  I was plodding along the A46 Nicely and then onto the M5 I was getting closer to Bristol when the engine started to die, I quickly switched the fuel to reserve and looked at the speedo as it fired back into lifeI had already covered 145 miles on that tank. Could I make it to Cribbs Causeway in Bristol about 20 miles away, the pressure was on?  Even more so as I had just passed the last services between me and Bristol. I eased off the throttle and stuck behind a Lorry for the next few miles the speedo counted past the 160 miles and I thought, don’t run out now.  I made it to Cribbs Causeway in Bristol and got to Asda Petrol Station with the speedo reading 163 milesI had a cuppa from McDonalds took a breath and refuelled and then got back on the M5 to Taunton.  I found a great road that runs between Taunton and Bampton (B3227) it has some great corners and makes me feel like I am riding a section of the TT course.  I got to my mums' in Exmoor just before 10pm packed the bike away and relaxed thinking what will tomorrow bring.

Thursday Morning arrived and I thought I need more comfort. I went to see my brother who owns Adjusted Customs in Uffculme for some Foam I could use as a cushion.  His Wife Laura said that she could sort something out wanted to know if I wanted the extra foam under the current cover. I said it would take to long she said how long have I got, I said if you are serious you have 30 minutes to recover the seat and add the foam.  Her next question was what colour I said something a bit lairy to stand out, red was the chosen colour and the timer started.  Laura finished the recovering the FZR Seat and adding the extra foamjust inside the 30-minute deadline. It was now almost midday and I wanted to be at Lands End before 3pm and still had another stop off.  I filled the tank in Cullompton and headed down the M5 onto the A30.  

40311E62-EAD5-4ADF-9B6A-E4D221EF5229.jpeg

• Like 6

On the A30, I noticed loads of People flashing at me and I was acknowledging them think I haven’t even started the event, but soonrealised they were warning me of the Police Mobile Cash Machines where you send them money and get points back.  I had eased off due to the rain and made a stop off at the peppered pig Roadhouse on the A30. They had invited the riders from the Longest Day Up Challenge for lunch and who am I to say no to a cuppa and a burger.  They are veryfriendly people and the food was amazing. I told them the last time I stopped in this layby I was 16 years riding a yellow Suzuki ZR50 (over 31 years ago) they laughed and took some details from me to post on their Facebook page. I thanked them for the food and carried on my way along the A30.

I spotted a couple more Police Cash Machines, but I was going steadyso no need to panic, I wanted to make sure I made it to the Start line without any penalty points.  I had made it to Lands End I was greeted by the other riders and event host John and Jo along with Tony from the Sportsbikeshop and the support crew and 2 ladies from Cancer research UK.  Now I was ready to start this challenge, and this is going to be the longest day for me in a long time.

2D56836A-98B4-42C6-A951-46F68D9179FC.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 8

More to follow, I have actually written it in word just pasting it in and cutting out the pics 

• Like 2

Ceremony Start

At 4pm we moved to the Land’s End Entrance blocking it temporarily as we lined up to leave Lands End.   We Had a quick talk and then left Lands’ end to the Premier Inn we were staying in at Hayle about 20 miles north in a convoy.  I took the head and decided to pull away and find a decent spot where I could take a video of all the riders coming through.  I found one but by the time I had started recording most of the riders had already passed, Oh well.  So, I stopped off at Tesco and filled with fuel ready for Tomorrow and headed to the Premier Inn. I switched on my 360 camera and decide to do a livestream to face book. On the ride to the hotel. I parked up with all the other bikes in the car park. Tomorrow was going to be a big day after dinner I checked the tyre pressure and gave it a once over and then went to get some shut eye it was 9:30pm I hadn’t been to bed this early in years. 

A8C13C7B-B37B-4B7F-A2A5-95637DA0E1EC.jpeg

8C22C7C5-53CC-4A24-8A2D-5ACF4411420F.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 7

I woke up a 3:30am but hadn’t really slept due to the excitement and nerves of what today would bring.  I put the kettle on and had a quick shower, I needed a cup of Tea before I could do anything, and this would be my last cuppa until I got to Gourock in Scotland.  Anyway,with my bags packed and all my bike gear on, Leathers and Waterproofs I headed out to the car park and found most of bikes were at the end of the Car park.  I put my back pack and locks in the van and put the tank bag on with the directions to the first pit stop on the top.  I had no real idea where I was going my Plan was to team up with some other riders and keep up with them.  As I pushed my bike to the start line at the end of the car park (we had been told not to start the bikes until the we got to this area so not to piss off the premier inn so they could stay there again),  I heard the sound of the bikes leaving and Ducati’s 996 clutch rattle as they all left.  I thought fuck! I better get going.  I got to the start line and fired up the Exup and there were a couple people behind me just about to leave.  I headed out on the damp A30 North towards Exeter hoping to catch up the other riders soon.

On the Back Foot

My Plan now was to try and catch up to the front group as soon as possible and which you might think its dual carriageway for the first part that’s easy to do.  Did I forget to mention it was raining?  Well yes it was very wet.  I put my head down behind the double Bubble screen which was doing its job very well, it was not long before I caught the first group of riders and I could hear inline 500cc twins with broken exhausts humming along.  I decided to go past them in pursuit of the lead group. I seemed to be more confident in the rain than most of the riders in front. Maybe there were just pacing themselves.  It did take a quite a few miles before I caught up with them and noticing the mobile cash points on the way down, I was apprehensive about breaking the speed limit even at 4:00am. I then stuck in behind them and stopped with them all when we refuelled in Exeter. The rain had slowed to an almost stopped but the roads were still wet.  We all left the petrol station together and Exeter at 5:30 is a very quiet place, we headed through Exeter towards the A30 onwards towards Honiton.  Now this is my area I had the home advantage hear I grew up near here, but I hadn’t been on these roads for decades.  I forgot what they were like, lots of Twisty sections and now the sun had broken through and roads were drying up.  We got past Honiton onto the Single Carriageway where the A30 becomes the A303. We went past one of my old Haunts the Eagle Tavern and passing the junction to Taunton (A358). The traffic started to pickup when we were on the dual carriageway and the lead group started to get separated with Albert and Ducati able to filter through the traffic better than myself.  Before I know I was looking for the Left turn for the A350 just past Mere Services. I saw someone at the side of the road taking pictures at a junction had no idea who it was but gave them a wave. I followed the road and recalled riding it back over the Easter Weekend. But this time the traffic was not as hectic as last time. I got to Cirencester and was reading the soaked through direction on Paper that were in my tank bag.  Then a couple bike went past me that I recognised, and I thought bugger have I missed the 1st Pitstop.  I pulled over at the next garage pulled out phone and checked the location.  I saved all the pitstop locations on my phone before hand rather than rely on the paper directions.  I was only a mile away from Pitstop 1. I made it to the travel lodge Car park to find 4 other bikes in front of me. Not bad I thought I had covered the first stage under 3 and half hours. Time for Breakfast, so I had a banana, flapjack and a bottle of water.  I looked at my paper notes to find most of them were soaked due to the rainy start I changed the sheet to pitstop 2 onto the tank bag with the map showing the actual location. I thanked the guys at the pitstop left and filled with fuel to make my way to Pitstop 2.

24AFA719-001C-4E20-B4AF-68779655EED5.jpeg

• Like 7

On route to Pitstop 2

After leaving the petrol station I headed out along the A417 towards Gloucester and then onto the A40 towards Ross on Wye.  The lead riders were long gone, and I was happy to run at my own pace.  My back was starting to feel the pain on the Exup, as I left Ross on wye and joined the A49 and passed Hereford I found the roads very technical, tight and twisty, most of this stage I was following cars on there morning commute or return from the school run.  I did manage to find some clear air and opened the taps, however the Oil Light flashed on and Panic came in thinking Have I fucked my bike already. The Temperature gauge was reading Normal, I was just hoping I was low on oil.  I relaxed the taps and rode it steady to find and a giant white bedsheet tied over a Black van on the righthand side of the road behind a BP Petrol Station with the letters LDU2019 in Red. I had made to Pitstop 2 but how do I get there. Rather than go back down the A5 50 yards to the correct entry for the services. I rode down the exit route of the fuel station. Upsetting a lorry driver in process, I smiled at him to apologise but then realised I had the tinted visor so he couldn’t see me anyway.

A strange Man with a van full of sweets greeted me, I asked him if we could check the oil on the Exup. He said it was a bit low, but these engines use oil when you use them properly, ah ok that is why it has never come on before then.  Dan and Fraser were there already and the Pitstop guy told me albert and Ducati had gone by about 30 minutes ago, but not stopped. Fraser got a bump start to get his bike going and off he went.

I phoned the missus knowing, she would be up now as it was gone 11am and asked her to sort me out breakdown cover for the bike.  She laughed and said have you not already done that? Yeah, yeah, I should have done it but haven’t, can you do it? She then switched to Tourettes Mode, said a few more expletives, she sounded like Mutley from Wacky Races. She had my credit card and I left her to it.  I ate another banana and a bag of Haribo tangfastics and washed them down with a bottle of water. The 2 xj900s arrived along with George and Tony who stopped briefly, I thanked the guy at Pitstop 2, filled with fuel and headed for the next pitstop.

A8004BF3-4EB3-47F8-9CB3-7A09C5AC94C6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Alrieet, Calm Down Calm Down

I headed to towards Chester on the A483 and joined the A55 knowing that I would need to come off at junction 39, I went past Junction 36 thinking only 3 more then I looked up and saw 35.  Bugger, I had got on the right road but the wrong way. I came off the exit and headed back to find junction 39.  Once I found it, I headed down the A41 towards Birkenhead and to the tunnel.  A fiesta came by asking me to pop a wheelie for them.  I acknowledged them but refrained from the opportunity to make a dick of myself.  I can wheel a bike but the last bike I wheelied was an MT10 and it does it by itself, you just hold on. Thinking it was a 40 limit I saw a Speed camera ahead and just released the throttle to bring my speed down I was well under 40 at that point and saw the fiesta brake vigorously and then realised it was a 30mph fuck.  I didn’t see it flash but it was bright sunshine so Probably wouldn’t see it flash. When I got to the tunnel, I found sign free for bikes.  Took a quick photo to show where I was and the 2 guys on the XJ900s stopped to see if I was ok. I said just a quick photo op, they shot on ahead and I soon caught them up, my filtering skills were slighter better than there’s.  Despite my filtering skills, the traffic was horrendous and stop start. My body and the bike were starting to feel it now. The seat was hot and temperature gauge was rising towards the red. I headed on through and into Preston nearly missing the A6 turn off. I headed along the A6 wondering where is that next stop. Panic set in but then I saw a Printed sign saying LDU 2019, I followed the road and there it was Guy’s Thatch Cottage I had made it to Pitstop 3.  Albert and Ducati were leaving as I arrived, and Tony and George were also ready to leave. I checked in, grabbed some water sweets and a banana and called my Missus.  She had sorted out the Roadside Recovery, but it would not be active until Saturday lunch and the earliest I could call them out was Sunday Lunchtime, oh well, it is what it is.  I must have been Pitstop 3 the longest out of all the pitstops. I took off my waterproofs and placed them in my tank bag, ready for what would feel like the longest stint of them all.

8121CC8A-6CBA-495E-8ABB-7BAEDF97E03E.jpeg

E800B766-8F31-4DA4-9778-497BBC33C329.jpeg

• Like 8

Scotland’s Calling

Keith had also arrived at Pitstop 3 on his Suzuki 400 and left just a few minutes before me, with the 2 guys on the XJ900s. I thanked everyone at pitstop3 and headed up the A6 towards Lancaster, I stopped for fuel near Garstang heading along the A6 through Lancaster and onto Kendal thinking I will catch those XJs up soon.  After missing another turn on the A6 to Penrith I was heading towards the lake district.  A quick turn around and soon I was back on the A6 and in Penrith.  I locked up the front wheel at a Red light on a drain cover, a quick release and grab again stopped me from dropping the bike. I Grabbed the clutch and sheepish wheeled back to the traffic lights with a cyclist looking at me in disgust.  I took a deep breath and continued up the A6. As I left Penrith the A6 opened and taunted me with its twisty ribbon of Tarmac through spectacular views.  Who I am I to say no to a challenge, so I opened the taps and boy this was one of the best roads I have ridden on,ever!  To make it even better the M6 runs nearby, so this road was not busy at all.  Before I know it, I am in Carlisle and hit the Friday afternoon traffic.  I had no idea what time it was. I hadn’t looked at my watch since arriving at Pitstop 1. I had caught Keith on His 400 and kept with him through Carlisle, he had a tom tom and was using that,but it was sending him to the m6, we found the A7 and headed towards Gretna green.  I pulled in for fuel there and left Keith to continue although I would catch him up laterI left Gretna towards Dumfries in pursuit to catch Keith. 

I followed the A75 and A76 signs to Kilmarnock then onto A78. I spotted Keith in a fuel station as I went by. I was hearing noises from my bike at this point and I didn’t know if it was my mind playing tricks on me and there was something wrong.  I thought it could be the chain hitting the swingarm or something else. I eased off and I was nearing Gourock and could see a ferry crossing the loch towards Gourock, I had no idea if it was the one wanted, but I thought I need to get onto that one. I made it to ferry Terminal and Pitstop 4. I was greeted by George Sunbathing on the grass, fully clothed. I explained to the guys at the Pitstop that I could hear some funny noises and thought it could be a loose chain. One of the guys lifted the back of the Exup and spun the wheel while the other lubricated the chain it and said it was all ok.  I had a wrapped ham sandwich and mouthful of tea when told to board the ferry the lady from the pitstop put my cuppa in a take away cup.  I thanked them all and took the tea and sandwich and wheeled my bike onto the ferry with Tony and George.

FEFDAD00-FD23-4193-A243-F9655D900669.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 5

Land Ahoy and views not to be sniffed at

As the ferry left the port Keith arrived just missing this ferry, but the next one would be in 30 minutesthe ferry journey was about 15-minute journey to Dunoon and like a mandatory pitstop it was great for me as I had enough time to get the bike checked over and then on the ferry to drink my cuppa, eat a sandwich and check in with the missus.  George Explained that they had arrived just before the other ferry left which lead riders were on, so we were about 30 minutes behind the lead group, I am happy with that my body was not. George invited me to ride with them he said he would not be gunning it, I was fine with that and said if the pace was to slow then I would go on ahead, but I needed fuel.  I paid the crossing fee and asked if there were any petrol stations nearby, he said 2, the nearest is 2 miles away and the next 5 miles away one is left the other is right.  We were going right, inverness was around 200 miles away so I would need to stop again.  As the ferry ported, we left together and stopped at the local petrol station, I filled with fuel and we rode into the Highlands. The plan was simple, follow George as he had the route on his phone which was attached to his handlebars. I was in the middle of the 3 of us. His pace was good I had ridden faster earlier but I was happy to ride a bit slower this time as there knew where we were going, and I had no idea.  On the A82 just after Tarbet I had a bit of moment where the rear wheel decides to let go and step out it felt like a huge moment at the time as the road was wet and probably green underneath. What felt like a foot was probably a couple inches, tony confirmed it did step out.  I was glad to be in a group at this time as I may have been going a bit faster and may have panic braked and slid offJust after Loch Lommond the road dried out and you could see the road ahead for miles and the ribbon of tarmac looked tempting, but the sun was right in my eyes and even with a tinted visor I was struggling to see the road.  We pulled over for a photo moment at Glencoe and a couple snaps later back on the bikes and we stopped at the next garage and filled with fuel, we were sipping coffee and Keith flew by with a Triumph tiger in toe and as we joined the road moments later the 2 xj900s returned that I hadn’t seen since pitstop 3.

21612BD2-35F6-4971-B35D-4A4D4E2DB90B.jpeg

C6007ECE-F87D-4207-8FFF-B1460F7334C5.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 10

These tales are what make the event for me. Thanks chap, there has been too little of it the last few years, with many of the participants not being forumites. 

I'd have loved to have ridden the route you guys had. 

Not enough to make me attempt it again mind you😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaycee said:

These tales are what make the event for me. Thanks chap, there has been too little of it the last few years, with many of the participants not being forumites. 

I'd have loved to have ridden the route you guys had. 

Not enough to make me attempt it again mind you😄

Agreed.  I never did finish writing mine up. 

I might do it again.  I feel like I ought to. 

I then remember how much I hated riding by the time I'd got home.  . . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Blast to the final Pitstop

The XJ900s past us and shortly after leaving the garage and we followed them to Fort William and they pulled in for fuel south of Fort William, we were about 80 miles away from Inverness. Keith was at that petrol station and they soon caught up with us and Keith and the tiger passed us we kept with them for a bit, but tiredness was catching up with George and he was struggling to keep up, I took the lead and Tony was behind me. But concerns for George so we eased off and allowed George to catch us up, he had the sat nav.  It was not long before the 2 XJ900s had caught us up and they soon past us heading to the final pitstop.  The road was getting tight and twisty and as we neared Inverness, I recalled some of the corners from driving a Scooby turboaround here 5 years before.  We past Loch ness and headed for Pitstop an Esso station on the A9. When the 3 of us arrived, we were greeted by Pitstop crew, Keith, the Tiger and the 2 xj900s.  The sun had not set but it was about to, we were set for the final stage, with John and Jo arriving at Pitstop 5 in the Van with all the riderluggage. They had driven all the way from lands end stopping at Pitstop 1,2 and 3 and skipping pitstop to leap frog most of the riders to greet us at the finish line.  I Then noticed that someone had wrote an F on my exhaust can (it was made by art), everyone else had seen it, I laughed.  A couple photo ops and they soon set off to the finish line the XJs set off a few minutes later with the Tiger.  I filled the tank for the last time and set off with Tony and George for the final stint as the sun was starting to set.

0F39F9EA-A6BC-490A-93F0-A894AFE75100.jpeg

998A8EB9-4A7A-4783-A403-08E02D6967C2.jpeg

5B24D115-D5FE-40E2-A541-814898687540.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks all I will update more tomorrow including the ride home

if anyone is interested I have a 19 page word document, which includes more pictures and a few tips that helped me.

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

@Lushman

Great write up.

It was great to meet you at P1.

Are you doing it next year?

Unfortunately I doing something else next year, but I am happy to help out where I can but I will return.

The Final Stretch 

I said thanks to the guys at the pitstop 5 and left as part of a trio with George and Tony.  I wanted to get as far as a I could before we lost all the light from the sun. We were 120 miles from the finish and headed up the A9 over the bridge out of Inverness.  I gave the FZR a blast over the Bridge to see unmarked Police Car with it’s Lights flashing and what looked like a Porsche that had been pulled over.  The guys at the final pitstop told us although there are no speed cameras after inverness there are plenty of Unmarked Cars. Of the A9 onto the A99 and heading towards Wick 99 miles away now. George’s pace was slowing down,and tiredness was affecting him we had all been riding since 4am and we were close to 20 hours on the bikes. Keith came by with a bright Yellow Audi S3 in toe.  My first thought was why would the police choose such a bright colour for an unmarked car, but the way it was being driven that was no Police man it was probably a young lad looking for a race (350bhp vs 50bhp)Keith Pulled off to get fuel with the S3 following him.  We continued along towards wick and I lead for a bit eager to get there as soon as possible then Keith passed me again and I decided to go with him. Tony followed and we soon dropped George, sorry George. My plan was to keep up with Keith, he knew where he was going, I just had more power had to use it on the straights to keep up.  The A99 is a fabulous road but in the dark the sharp corners can catch you out if you are not concentrating. I was looking at the signs to see how far we were from the finish the miles were going down and the 3 of us had good pace. We passed John and Jo in the Van and headed for the finish the lights on Keith’s were not great mine were even worse, Tony’s were great, and he was behind us manoeuvringAn Uphill hairpin caught me out I pulled in to left to let Tony pass me, but he was happy to stay behind and shine the light for us to see where we were going.  Keith had pulled away from me, so I used the Exup’s power to catch him up, I did not want him to drop me as I had no idea where I was and how far we were from the finish.  We made it to Wick and passed a Tesco supermarket all the lights were off, Tony had eased off,so it was Keith and myself heading for the Finish Line.  A right turn that we almost missed took us to John O Groats. Then over 10 miles of bumpy single road in the darkness followed. Finally, we made it John O Groats, I couldn’t tell where we were.  We turned off the main road and looked for cabin 22. I spotted Albert and Ducati parked ahead with several other bikes. My body was knackered, but my head was alive,maybe I should have just had the 1 red bull at the last pitstop rather than the 2. I called the Missus to let her know I had made if safely, she was so happy that I had made it. I went to join the others in the Cabin when John and Jo arrived in the Van with Tony behind them, a little later George arrived. I joined the rest of the riders that had finished and drank a well-deserved beer waiting for others to arrive, but I was struggling to stay awake and headed to my room for some shut eye.

Ceremony Finish

With the excitement from yesterday I did not get much sleep.  My body was really starting to ache, I had been running on Adrenaline for the last 24 hours and I could still feel itI woke up early around 8.30ish, my back and arms were sore, so I had a shower to relieve some of the pain.I wanted a cup of tea but could not see anything in the kitchen in the apartment, I went for a wander and found some of the other riders were about and grabbed a cuppa from the Lodge then and a sausage roll.  We then lined up in a crescent around the signpost to get a picture of all us on the bikes and riders and then I got a few of me on my bike next to the sign post. I Spoke to Tony from the SportsBikeShop as he wanted to write about people’s experiences from being part of the Longest Day Up.

at the finish with all the riders who Competed in LDU2019 

The FZR and me at John O Groats 

9ADFA217-1284-4FC7-AA6D-C7ED5B26D9F8.jpeg

75DF5E46-DC06-4B94-981B-39D4ACE59C06.jpeg

4F236CA6-C748-4B46-92C3-73BBDBE45D08.jpeg

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 7

Homeward bound 

I said my goodbyes to those that were left and headed back, I stopped at Tesco’s in Wick to refuel and checked the tyre pressures. Then headed down the A99 to towards Inverness.  The road feels so different to yesterday probably due to the fact I can see where I am going and I was riding a lot steadier, even though I did catch few motorcyclists, they were probably enjoying a better view on their Adventure bikes. I headed to Inverness and then onto the A9. Once on the A9 there were average speed camera although forward facing I didn’t want to risk speeding, so I kept with the flow of traffic. Soon I would need fuel and I had to come off the A9 to get it. I stopped at a Place called Aviemore in the Cairngorms National Park and at the local garage grabbed a coffee and a breakfast bap and filled up the tank.  I met a couple of other bikers there one on a 749 and the other on a street triple.  I explained where I had ridden from and the previous day’s riding, they were impressed.  The speedo had just gone over the 33000miles and still over 500 miles to go.

A64BFA26-1B84-4D98-B67B-4001AED1F4DF.jpeg

I set off towards Perth hoping to get to Carlisle and find a B and B to stop there.  I joined the A9 and it was very monotonous journey single carriageway but with breath taking scenery with the occasional Dual Carriageway just long enough to get by that slower lorry. I got to Perth and Yesterday’s ride started to catch up with me, I was feeling tired and knew I would have to stop soon not just for fuel but for me as wellI headed down the M9 towards Edinburgh and over new bridge then onto the M8 following signs to Carlisle. I stopped at Harthill Services on the M8 going towards Glasgow. I filled the tank and when I moved the bike away from the pump another biker recognised the bike from the photos that were on the Sportsbikeshop Facebook from their coverage of the event.  He asked me how I was, and we had a chat he was heading home from a bike meet in Edinburgh with his Daughter on the back.  He took a photo of my bike with me in the background sipping coffee. I then looked for accommodation near Carlisle and I found a hostel in Penrith for £26 for the night I booked it and then contacted them to inform them that I would be there at around 9pm tonight. I finished my coffee and topped up the oil on the FZR and headed towards Carlisle on the M8 and then onto the M74

20E0169D-541A-4689-8878-1CCFBD109B48.jpeg

The M74 was not busy and as I entered England and joined the M6 I was surprised at how little traffic was on the Motorway.  My Focus was to get to Penrith find my accommodation and somewhere to eat. I got to Penrith just after 9pm and found the accommodation. It was a hostel, I was sharing the room with a bloke called James who had driven down from Aberdeen and was on his way to Manchester and 3 students they weren’t at the hostel when I arrived it was like a guest bedroom with EnSite filled with Bunk beds, but it was only one night.  I got changed and headed into town and found a Wetherspoons pub and ordered a Curry and a beer.  I went back to the room and grabbed a cuppa and chatted to James. The students arrived and I found them a little obnoxious, probably because they were young and there moaning about their car breaking down and they were struggling to find somewhere to get it fixed and they were stuck in Penrith.  I just thought I have ridden the length of the country and are on my way back home on a motorbike that cost less than a quarter of the price of your car and it has served me well.

Edited by Lushman
  • Like 4

I woke early and thought time to go. I made a cuppa grabbed all my gear and headed out.  I filled up at a nearby shell garage and then found the A66 and rode towards scotch corner.  Sunday Morning 5:00am and the roads are quiet. So, I took advantage where I could I joined the A1 and was aiming to get to Doncaster before refuelling and changing my clothes as the summer ones were not keep my fingers warm. I was getting a vibration on my chest and realised it was my phone, so I pulled into the next petrol station on the A1. It was my alarm clock telling me to get up, I had set it for 7:00am, so I was impressed how far I had gone in the extra time I had gained.  I filled up and decided no coffee, just let’s get home I don’t need to stop again. I put on a set of warmer gloves and then my headed off down the A1.  I was flying down the A1 with hardly any traffic on the road. However, I was wary of what the FZR had achieved so I was not going to push it. I don’t need a breakdown now, I got off the A1 at Huntingdon and cruised along the A141 towards Home.  I saw signs a for the St Ives Festival of Motorcycling and forgot that was on today. I made it home just after 9am in my missus was shocked to see me, she did not expect me until Lunchtime. I had sent her a text from the A1 when I stopped for fuel and she only read it a few minutes ago.  I opened the garage door and put the bike away it had served me well and had covered over 2000 miles from Chatteris to Lands end to John’ O Groats and back to Chatteris. My missus woke me as I had fallen asleep on the sofa and asked if I wanted to go to St Ives Bike Show it was just down the road, we can take the FZR if you like. I said ok she just wanted to see the look on our Friend Steve’s Face when we turned up.  He explained to the event organiser what I had achieved,and they asked me to bring the bike in and got me to go on stage.  There were even more surprised when I told them 24 hours before I had not long left John O Groats. That got me an extra few donations and loads of people were asking about it and were impressed.

29FA41BA-2BD7-423C-B157-01F659AFFCFD.jpeg

• Like 8

Awesome write up for an amazing ride.

Well done sir! :thumbsup::icon_salut:

• Like 1

Excellent work, I think an Exup is as cruel a tool for the job as James's 996!

Fantastic write up, I'm there for next next year even if I cheat and use a modern bike

I am 6 miles from you in Benwick so let me know if you are out and about.

Edited by Herr V.
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

Excellent work, I think an Exup is as cruel a tool for the job as James's 996!

James did it on an EXUP a few years back. An EXUP without a working EXUP of course, because he wouldn't be @hawkati otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jaycee said:

James did it on an EXUP a few years back. An EXUP without a working EXUP of course, because he wouldn't be @hawkati otherwise. 

i so missed that exup valve! Bought it without, as a crash damaged wreck from @coppersaucepipe - it had a straight through pipe that ruined the midrange then chimed in like it weas going to eat the next village. Oh, and fukkered discs. They had a slight whisper of a shimmy when i set off but were clangingly horrible by the time i got to land's end, before i even set off! Tyre chirpingly dangerous, i set off anyway and swapped discs with my 996, adding another hour and a half, and an extra 37 miles to the journey.

Those discs absolutely fukkered my fingers - breaking my middle finger which reset badly so it's bent and still hurts two years later. A great biker but it hated me big time.

Nun more black.

36543922326_36daec9805_c.jpgIMG_20170811_075614124 by james serjeant, on Flickr

• Like 2