Original Yamaha 4 Pot,Blue Spot Calipers

redmarque

My project bike has the original blue spot non-radial calipers fitted. Which radial master cylinders are compatible?

In brief, all of them will fit give or take.

Find out what bore your MC is if you want more lever travel and more modulation get one with a smaller bore, if you want less travel and more bite (i think this is correct) get a larger one.

If you can afford it PM user: morepower as his business, P3unlimited, stocks ISR brake gear and he's a knowledgable chap who will be able to talk you through the different options and what they mean.

HTH

Currently using a non-radial Blackbird one, think it must be a tiny bore as the lever has masses of travel and is well squidy even after bleeding several times!

Have got an '03 R6 set of BlueSpots on the TRX mated up to the std TRX master cylinder (5/8" bore)

Lots of bite, but no feel (meaning very wooden). But have got an R6 master cylinder in the wings (14mm bore). Apparently the difference is noticeable.

Bob

I'm cheap, so will see about getting a late R6/R1 Radial master - I seen one on another forum using the same blue spots on a late FZ6 suposed to be better all round.

Cheers Guys.

The pukka bore on a stock bike, as mentioned, is 14mm, and gives a decent bit of feel to them. I'm not sure what difference going radial would make on the master, perhaps the biggest change would be because of the fact that it's probably quite new and the seals etc be in good nick. The other big difference that you may notice, depending on how you mount it, and to what bike, would be the fact that a radial M/C sticks out loads and may hit your clocks at full lock.

I rate these brakes, reliable, loads of feel, plenty around second hand. Nice boltonery.

I have just purchased some with brand new pads for £40 they have been fitted and are mint.............................Used the old m/c (nissin fzr 400rrsp)

3496447297_ae1b69d8c0_b.jpg

I put a Radial master on the FZR400 3TJ with the standard calipers / braided lines / EBC HH pads and 5.1 fluid ... it stops very quickly

I've got an R1 with bluespots on, and I fitted a radial Nissin 19 x 21 master cylinder which seems to work OK. What was said earlier about feel versus braking power was spot on though --there's no feel to speak of, but it brakes like a bastard[1].

Lorenzo's right about it hitting the clocks. I can't tell you if it does, because my clocks aren't on the standard bracket, but it's something to watch out for. It runs close to the edge of the screen as well.

[1] Also got s/s lines and SBS pads.

Have got an '03 R6 set of BlueSpots on the TRX mated up to the std TRX master cylinder (5/8" bore)

Lots of bite, but no feel (meaning very wooden). But have got an R6 master cylinder in the wings (14mm bore). Apparently the difference is noticeable.

I have blue spots on my TDM but using the Thunder Ace front end and the standard hoses and M/C it has loads of feel and power enough to out brake modern stuff at the end of the straights at Snetterton :D

And at then end of the day thats all you need ;)

Fitted a 05 R6 Brembo Master yesterday - haven't ridden with it yet, but the feel at the lever seams very good with the earl's hoses i'm using.

Fairing issues aren't a problem as I haven't fitted one yet.

Cheers for all the tips guys.

I use a brembo 19x20 ratio master cylinder on my R1. It was a massive improvement over standard. Not cheap but you get what you pay for IMO.

• 2 years later...

Buuump. Is it the 05 on R6 that was the first with the radial master cylinder? What about the R1? Aany ideas which is the best one to look for?

Be careful with the r1 master, they do one for 4 pots and one for 6's which is the later one. It's dead easy to suss the size, right next to the bleed nipple on the top is says 16 on mine, which is off an r6.

So i need one with a 16mm bore to not bugger anything up.

I don't know. As stock with these they had a 14mm normal m/c on r6's, I had that set-up on my trx, this 16mm is a radial one and hence might have different leverage ratios as the whole thing is obviously quite different physically. It would also depend on what you like from a your brakes too I suppose. Some people go wild for a really firm lever, I mean really firm, others like a bit of movement, everybody has their own favourite. It probably depends on how bothered you are about bleeding up your brakes every time, but if you want I've got an 03 gsxr 1000 m/c here doing not a lot, if you want to have a play I can send it over to you, then if you like it you can give me some money at cadwell (book it, now), or you can just give it me back. The other thing to do, if you're starting from scratch, is to take the bleed nipples out, measure one of them, and then spend £4 or so on ebay buying some stainless ones. Seized up and rounded bleed nipples were the bane of my life until I discovered these little guys. The only thing you'll need to do is to find out if they're 1 or 1.25 threads.

Ahead of you on that one, got stainless ones in the front. I just assumed the 16 meant 16mm bore. Basically i want a radial thats intended for a twin four pot setup like the one on your SRAD. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself anyway as i need new fork springs because i can't take advantage of any braking improvements atm. Thanks for the offer but isn't the K3 thou 6 pots?

Yep, the 16 means the bore in mm, however there's ratios to consider too, so 16mm m/c may not feel the same as another 16mm one of a different design. In a slightly simplified way though, yes, 2 16mm m/'s would be much the same. The m/c I've got here is off a 4 pot bike, but I thought it was a bit soft hence swapped it to the r6 one, but fundamentally it's ok. For the cost of some brake fluid it's yours if toy want to have a try and if you don't like it, stick something else on.

Redmarque...hows your Hossack VFR Mk2 coming along?

Hope you are making progress on it.

Thread drift 'ON'

Cheers SS, Yes progressing slowly... so many details to sort out. Will be after some of your expert shock advise eventually.

Your mass centralised girder is looking fanastic btw! FFE's are the way forward! :rock:

Edit: Jamie's posted this already -nevermind!

There's a Jay Leno interview with Norman Hossack on his site for those interested:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/motorcycles/hossack-bmw-motorcycle/#more

Thread drift 'OFF'

Archived