Fitness and what to do for LDU 2019

Lushman

18 minutes ago, johnnymack63 said:

Most of all, the challenge is a mental one. 

If there is any part of your mindset that doesn’t approach the event as a whole day and night riding a bike from pitstop to pitstop, you are going to struggle.

At the risk of staring the obvious, you must keep it simple in your head and be approaching the event as a day and night in the saddle, nothing else, and be mindful of the best way to fuel your body to do that.

Don't,  when seeing a sign saying John O'Groat's 16 miles, think "yay, I've made it" and switch off. I ended up doing emergency stops for things that weren't there!:D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Don't,  when seeing a sign saying John O'Groat's 16 miles, think "yay, I've made it" and switch off. I ended up doing emergency stops for things that weren't there!:D

That big fucking brick wall I thought someone had built across the road, corners I braked for that didn't exist.

Parts of that last two hours were tough indeed.

Having said that, the way @rich7/12 and I tore across the peninsula to Land's End was epic. The flames shooting from the shotgun exhausts on his NTV on the over run and the sparks as those same exhausts scraped through right-handers will stick in my mind forever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Very very sage advice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys this is some great advice. Yesterday I completed my furthest ride 221 miles driving from huntingdon to Tiverton via Silverstone and Swindon on a  cbr500r. Not the most   quickest bike or that comfy but it’s got me used to longer distances.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lushman said:

Thanks guys this is some great advice. Yesterday I completed my furthest ride 221 miles driving from huntingdon to Tiverton via Silverstone and Swindon on a  cbr500r. Not the most   quickest bike or that comfy but it’s got me used to longer distances.

Nicely. Well done indeed. Crack on!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, jollygiant said:

When you stop have good walk around and do some stretch's.

Doing that in public is disgusting and will make you sleepy.

OH! WALK!

Sorry, as you were.

Where are my reading glasses....

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, TKDMitch said:

Doing that in public is disgusting and will make you sleepy.

OH! WALK!

Sorry, as you were.

Where are my reading glasses....

Knocking one out at pitstops might get the blood pumping but I would insist on a nap afterwards 🤔

• Haha 1

Interesting reading this as it was something that crossed  my mind. I'm trying my best to get out on the bike as much as I can at the moment, and cycling and walking as much as I can as well. I'm hoping I've hopefully got the staying awake thing sorted doing night shifts regularly, and one thing I will be doing in the run up is knocking off the beer. And I love beer... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s another bit of advice, which really helped me the two times I did this ride:

Find a buddy to ride with. You’ll both be on different stages of the mental journey that punctuates such a challenge. This means there will be someone there to pick you up and gee you along, and you can do the same for them. More importantly, you have someone to share the experience with. It makes SUCH a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Incredible said:

Here’s another bit of advice, which really helped me the two times I did this ride:

Find a buddy to ride with. You’ll both be on different stages of the mental journey that punctuates such a challenge. This means there will be someone there to pick you up and gee you along, and you can do the same for them. More importantly, you have someone to share the experience with. It makes SUCH a difference. 

This. I wouldn't have made it without @rich7/12. We got separated at one point (he had to go and see a friend or family member IIRC).

I had gotten lost for a while then finally got back on track, but was struggling by the time I reached the South Coast.  The elation when Rich came roaring alongside on his NT was immense. He kept me going for the next few hours, then we raced to the end at silly speeds for the last 40 miles or so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with them 2 handsome lovelies... ^^ ginger and pretty boy 😜 

@srad34 was the wonderful chap who gave me the hare to chase, a foil and was the ebullient motherfucker he always seems to be.  For the majority of the ride.

LDD/LDU - it's fucking great.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CMSMJ1 said:

@srad34 was the wonderful chap who gave me the hare to chase, a foil and was the ebullient motherfucker he always seems to be.  For the majority of the ride.

I was happily the tortoise to you two hares as you raced at breakneck speed....

...in the wrong direction!😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I was happily the tortoise to you two hares as you raced at breakneck speed....

...in the wrong direction!😂😂😂😂😂

Yes mate - you too, indeed.

I needed to go get my wheel bearings changed in Sheffield..  I don't reckon I got lost too much after that.  The upside down badgers were helpful in finding out who had been where

• Haha 1

Just now, CMSMJ1 said:

Yes mate - you too, indeed.

I needed to go get my wheel bearings changed in Sheffield..  I don't reckon I got lost too much after that.  The upside down badgers were helpful in finding out who had been where

All hail the upside down badgers! Your bearings and my leaking brake master cylinder were almost the undoing of us....

36 minutes ago, CMSMJ1 said:

Noice one, twas a cracking run 👌

• Haha 1

Spend a month up tot the race prioritising sleep and spending as much time in a Sauna as possible (at least 3 days a week until you're heat-uncomfortable then persist 5-8 mins; duration will increase as you get used to it) if you have the option. Basically will give you all the benefits of moderate duration gentle exercise without any pain at all. That and planks in the press up position. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for you today I rode to Devon and back with a bit motorway, dual carriageway and single carriageway. Total mileage was 479.

my route was a141 to huntingdon, a14 a45,  a43, m40  a34 a420 a419 a303 a358, b3227 awesome road to bampton. Then back via a38 to highbridge, m5 a46, m6 a14 and a141 to home.

I was out for about 12 hours in total and made a total 5 stops,  accumulating mileage at the end of each line

1 coffee and bacon roll,  30 minutes Swindon  118

2 petrol stop 10 minutes Marlborough 136

3 lunch at mums and chitchat 1 hour 40 minutes Brampton Devon 247

4 petrol stop 5 minutes Bridgwater 275

5 final rest stop cuppa and fuel fill 30 minutes  Alcester.  375

6 finish and relax 479miles

That trumps my previous long ride by 200 miles.

the double bubble screen makes Huge difference less buffering,

But my neck, arms, shoulders and knees and legs feel sore.

• Like 2

If I'd not been at work you could have popped in for a cuppa - I'm 3 miles from bampton.

Well done indeed!

43 minutes ago, hawkati said:

If I'd not been at work you could have popped in for a cuppa - I'm 3 miles from bampton.

Well done indeed!

I love the b3227 road between bampton and taunton and the A396 from Dunster to Morebath. Although I lived near there for 20+ years. I never really drove round that way until my mum moved to Shillingford 18 months ago

28 minutes ago, Lushman said:

I love the b3227 road between bampton and taunton and the A396 from Dunster to Morebath. Although I lived near there for 20+ years. I never really drove round that way until my mum moved to Shillingford 18 months ago

Aaaaah - now you know how to confuse a fellow. Bampton in Oxfordshire i meant....

.....and there's a Shillingford here as well!

I'm well away from you, in the cotswolds. 😛

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lushman said:

Just an update for you today I rode to Devon and back with a bit motorway, dual carriageway and single carriageway. Total mileage was 479.

my route was a141 to huntingdon, a14 a45,  a43, m40  a34 a420 a419 a303 a358, b3227 awesome road to bampton. Then back via a38 to highbridge, m5 a46, m6 a14 and a141 to home.

I was out for about 12 hours in total and made a total 5 stops,  accumulating mileage at the end of each line

1 coffee and bacon roll,  30 minutes Swindon  118

2 petrol stop 10 minutes Marlborough 136

3 lunch at mums and chitchat 1 hour 40 minutes Brampton Devon 247

4 petrol stop 5 minutes Bridgwater 275

5 final rest stop cuppa and fuel fill 30 minutes  Alcester.  375

6 finish and relax 479miles

That trumps my previous long ride by 200 miles.

the double bubble screen makes Huge difference less buffering,

But my neck, arms, shoulders and knees and legs feel sore.

I think you are way to prepared, the traditional prep for the LDU/LDD is a run to the mot shop, stopping at Greg's on the way back for a Steakbake.

Anything else is practically cheating lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, srad34 said:

I think you are way to prepared, the traditional prep for the LDU/LDD is a run to the mot shop, stopping at Greg's on the way back for a Steakbake.

previous preps have been passing mot on the viffer the morning before setting off to john o'groats, and doing a total of 150 miles on any bike at all for 6 months before doing 2500 miles in five days on the exup, so you're well ahead of the game!*

0.2 miles on the jigsaw bike so far, wheeling it around, approx 5k on different bikes so far this year. If i really really have to use the 996 i've no illusions at all that it will break me in half.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:45 AM, srad34 said:

When I did LDD in 2013, my bike got MOT'd the day before I set off for the (then) John O'Groats start line, and I only got it running the day before that. Before I set off for JoG, my total mileage on the bike was 7. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, johnnymack63 said:

When I did LDD in 2013, my bike got MOT'd the day before I set off for the (then) John O'Groats start line, and I only got it running the day before that. Before I set off for JoG, my total mileage on the bike was 7. 

Top trumping me on the twat preparation stakes!😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1