New Entry for this years LDU

Lushman

Hi all,

i am new to LDU and after reading the article in Motorcycle News, I thought I would enter.  I now realise the challenge is gonna be huge for me especially as the bike I am using is not really a tourer. I will be using a 1989 Yamaha fzr1000r exup which needs some recommissioning. New battery, clutch, brakes are first the exup valve needs sorting.  Then there’s me, I have limited long mileage riding in fact the furthered then I have ridden in a day is 200miles which I did on a gp100 over 25 years ago. So over the next few months I will be working on long distance.i started riding bikes at 16 1988 but had a big gap between 1995 and 2010 since then I have owned a rd350, sv650s street triple, MT10 which I did a pb trackday at Rockingham in 2017. I know own a 959, cbr500r the fzr and variety of 125s and scooter in a state of disrepair.

I will post some pics up shortly.

i was raised in East Devon close to the Somerset border but now reside in Chatteris Cambridgeshire.

Cheers

• Like 8

Dear mr lushness, as resident stalker and sexual weirdo i feel it is my duty to congratulate you personally on what will be an epic journey. Obviously you are madder than a mad thing in mad season. It will break your delicate cherub like ass into a million pieces. I have and never will take up such a ridiculously hard challenge but I salute those daft enough to do it. 

A well wisher/curious dogger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome @Lushman. As a previous participant and continued supporter of the event let me thank you for joining up for the event.

We have some nutters here thst have done it several times, one had done each event. 

Once was enough for me, but I am glad that I did it. 

The feeling when you jump* off your bike ( or what remains of it) at the end is indescribable. 

We like projects with pictures please. 

Also, hang around the forum afterwards. PB magazine might be on life support, but it still lives on strong on here. 

Another also, @fastfreddybikes is actually a decent chap. He made me a sandwich in his caravan once and never even molested me a little bit. 😁

*fall off with exhaustion. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to following your work on the bike, and brilliant to have you on board.

I think @hawkati has done the ride on an exup? Did a track day on the way home too. He is mental though.

Edited by TKDMitch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome.

@hawkati did the LDU on an exup, including stopping to change front discs end route.

See you at P1.

Excellent weapon of choice! I bloody implore you to make damn sure the discs are alright- move had a mild shimmy that turned into a fucked up finger breaker (I mean that, I broke my middle finger) before I even got to lands end. Thankfully the discs are exactly the same as those on my 996 so a bit of a diversion off route on the day, and some hammering and I carried on.

Captain stupid here did 3 days of the western highlands and a trackday as well so 2500 miles in 4 days after only doing 150 miles beforehand that year, so I was marmalised. 

Cracking bikes though. Declutch and change gear? No, I just twist and go. So fearful wonderf bikes and I wish I hadn't sold it

All the very best - pics and write ups of the rebuild, and seeya at land's end, cheers, jamess

Edited by hawkati
Linky
  • Like 2

Welcome new chap, it's a good crack on here. Get some pics up, we love an FZR shitter, wcpgw??

Ok here are some pics I took last week. Yes I am Mad as a bottle of Scrumpy. More to come

4DB1BB8B-C5B3-4AE5-8604-9EC0D1152012.jpeg

• Like 3

Work needed

• new battery,
  • Check brakes hoses need sorting 
  • new fluid 
  • exup valve sticking 
  • new clutch current one is slipping 
  • full service oil and filters etc
  • re attach fairing 
  • replace indicators

73F83D9B-F868-48CF-B897-4697D2B44898.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lushman said:

Work needed

• new battery,
  • Check brakes hoses need sorting 
  • new fluid 
  • exup valve sticking 
  • new clutch current one is slipping 
  • full service oil and filters etc
  • re attach fairing 
  • replace indicators

73F83D9B-F868-48CF-B897-4697D2B44898.jpeg

Some entrants do more work on the way.

7 hours ago, srad34 said:

@Lushman
you know this is a £300 Challenge right?? Well gel 😂🤣

Well, £300 and whatever for brakes and tyres - we've both seen bikes worth much more taking part (and some worth a bag of crisps) so I'll just say bloody well done for stepping up to the challenge! 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I it was a little bit more than £300 but has nearly new tyres, newish chain and sprockets and if you take that into account it comes to around £300.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:23 PM, hawkati said:

Excellent weapon of choice! I bloody implore you to make damn sure the discs are alright- move had a mild shimmy that turned into a fucked up finger breaker (I mean that, I broke my middle finger) before I even got to lands end.

Don't worry about that.

Chatteris is not far from me but far enough away for me to know they have webbed fingers / several more than others have.

By LDU standards that FZR is plush !

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

Don't worry about that.

Chatteris is not far from me but far enough away for me to know they have webbed fingers / several more than others have.

By LDU standards that FZR is plush !

I have live there since 2010 and I can say is that my swimming has improved since moving there. Lol

• Haha 1

You are aware of the claiming rights to bikes after the event aren't you?it's sub section 12 amendment 16 paragraph 3(ish).I hereby lay claim to that for £300,i love me an Exup so just drop it off on your way back please.

I remember talking to some bloke that did Ironbutt things and he said a sheepskin on the seat was a massive help comfort wise and as Hawkati said setting controls carefully to help relieve fatigue.

Oh and remember to take plenty of oil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, kens said:

This GP100 200 mile trip needs a thread. You know, for practice before you do the LDU writeup

I will do a quick write up but it was 25+years ago lol.

Quick update, bike is in the local garage for an Mot and a once over, it broke down on the way.  Ran out of fuel as I found the reserve switch is not working properly as the wires are broken.  A lean over to the left to get the fuel in was enough to get it to a garage, although the wife was on standby with a fuel can just in case.

i rode back from Devon to Chatteris via the A30 and A350 to see what these roads are like before heading home via Silverstone. I clocked around 270 miles on that ride doing it on a cbr500r. It felt comfy but my arms were sore afterwards, I think more rides are needed

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my bike.  It went to Stevelin’s in Ramsey for a once over and MOT a few weeks ago. It broke down on the way  cause by the reserve switch failing.

After a once over all looked good, but a smell of fuel found the 2 of carbs were leaking caused by the float seals being perished. 

The prts should be here and expected to be mot’d and ready to go Tomorrow evening.  If it is I will take it to the Boston super bike shop tomorrow night, if not I will be on the 959 or the cbr. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lushman said:

Just a quick update on my bike.  It went to Stevelin’s in Ramsey for a once over and MOT a few weeks ago. It broke down on the way  cause by the reserve switch failing.

After a once over all looked good, but a smell of fuel found the 2 of carbs were leaking caused by the float seals being perished. 

The prts should be here and expected to be mot’d and ready to go Tomorrow evening.  If it is I will take it to the Boston super bike shop tomorrow night, if not I will be on the 959 or the cbr. 

It's a pity you aren't near Essex, you could use @IforB's bike, as he has had to pull out for health reasons.

Good news the bike has a new mot and the carbs have been rebuilt it runs smoothly so I will be taking some longer rides over the next few weeks and try and sort out my posture on it.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Lushman said:

Good news the bike has a new mot and the carbs have been rebuilt it runs smoothly so I will be taking some longer rides over the next few weeks and try and sort out my posture on it.

Mine goes in on Tuesday for MOT, wish I could say its smooth but it's a Gs500 so as long as it gets me there lol....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lushman said:

Top secret tip - get a tank bag you can lean on to take the weight off your wrists! I've got it down to a fine art of having mine shifted back for the long dull bits  then nudge it forwards out of the way once amongst the nadgery.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, srad34 said:

Mine goes in on Tuesday for MOT, wish I could say its smooth but it's a Gs500 so as long as it gets me there lol....

I hope it goes well.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi all only just got on this forum had the bike 12 months and its still running sh1t its all getting close to dee day have given up trying to improve the running so will have a go as it is just have to keep revs over 3k hearing talk of fitness i have not had any of that for the last 30 years and not keen on bending over a sports bike[zzr 600] or the fact when chased managed 56 miles from full to reserve had already thought of the tank bag  option to rest my belly on and reed the root from trying to get the bike down there before the event but might have to ride it down just dont want to kill it before the start its further from here than it is doing the root, have too say from the A83 to inverness  will really have to watch for deer they are every where and nuts best bet will bee remove silencers and they will still jump on top of you

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, martin pitt said:

hi all only just got on this forum had the bike 12 months and its still running sh1t its all getting close to dee day have given up trying to improve the running so will have a go as it is just have to keep revs over 3k hearing talk of fitness i have not had any of that for the last 30 years and not keen on bending over a sports bike[zzr 600] or the fact when chased managed 56 miles from full to reserve had already thought of the tank bag  option to rest my belly on and reed the root from trying to get the bike down there before the event but might have to ride it down just dont want to kill it before the start its further from here than it is doing the root, have too say from the A83 to inverness  will really have to watch for deer they are every where and nuts best bet will bee remove silencers and they will still jump on top of you

Great to have you on board and we all salute you Martin, you're bloody brilliant for stepping up to the mark. :icon_salut:

Is there anyone local who can help with fettling or transport?

think ive mydered everyone stupid up here wee all seem to have the same answers but cant sort it allso has dreadfull flat spots stuck a baffle in end of tail pipe today helped a bit but you still have to open throttle as the revs rise,the worst bit is the low running improoved a little by unbalancing carbs,its head dooing