I'm already regretting this!

Wurzel

Hi All - new to the forum but one of the team mentioned I should sign up. Thought I'd post a few pics of the piece of metal I hope to turn into  a motorbike, have done 60hrs on it so far and counting! I got very lucky early on and found an XJ900 on eBay for spares (not even bloody repair!) for £200. As you all know, the £300 budget is nigh on impossible unless you're very handy with spanners / welders, so felt pretty pleased at the time. Nonetheless I soon found it was too far gone to have any chance of an MOT so I've set to on a full strip and rebuild, having never done one before... I think we've passed the absolute low now I've got some paint back on the frame (over the Jenolite and filler), so once that's finished I can start putting it back together. Per the rules, I've not cut corners on safety items, so have rebuilt all the calipers, will have new tyres, sorted worst of frame corrosion and other MOT stopping, seized / knackered bearings etc. Other than that, remarkably I'm still in budget.  I got it running before I took it to bits (last MOT was about ten years ago and it's been sat outside since), so I know the motor worked and it should in theory go again if I bolt it back together right.... TBH I'll be pretty relaxed about a little ride from one end of the country to the other if I make it as far as the start line!

20180904_113050.jpg

20181014_190804.jpg

20181031_104148.jpg

20190319_180022.jpg

Welcome @Wurzel and well done. 

From your user name I'm guessing you're from down here in the best bit of England, the South West ?  Give me a shout if you you need a hand, I'm Bristol and make a cracking cuppa. 

46 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

Welcome to the forum, and if you're riding LDD your a bloody hero, thank you :icon_salut:

This, especially the last bit. It near broke me. 

I did it on a pre-Diversion XJ900F. All day comfy. Just as well really. 

4 minutes ago, blow_away said:

From your user name I'm guessing you're from down here in the best bit of England, the South West ?  Give me a shout if you you need a hand, I'm Bristol and make a cracking cuppa. 

He never offers me a cuppa...

....other distasteful things but never. A cuppa...

Welcome to the forum (you're welcome to it!)

5 minutes ago, blow_away said:

Yes grew up in Devon but now up in Gloucs, thank you all for the welcome and look forward to meeting some / all of you in a few months...

48 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Yes grew up in Devon but now up in Gloucs, thank you all for the welcome and look forward to meeting some / all of you in a few months...

That's far too close to the shire....I are mostly about 5 feet from the Oxfordshire border for a swift getaway!:D

You are mental....... I will see you at Lands End at the start line (its not a race, repeat.... Its not a ra...)

Welcome aboard shipmate and good eggs launching straight into LDD glory. I was in the class of 2015 and both the build and the ride rate amongst my top biking experiences....once you've done it you'll know!! Good luck Squire and I'll bung some groats your way :thumbsup:

Very pleased to have just got the engine back in - feels like a big step :-)

Can anybody advise if there is a particular order to which you rebuild a bike? Or maybe I just work from the middle out? Not sure what to tackle next.....

20190328_133212.jpg

33 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Very pleased to have just got the engine back in - feels like a big step :-)

Can anybody advise if there is a particular order to which you rebuild a bike? Or maybe I just work from the middle out? Not sure what to tackle next.....

20190328_133212.jpg

Just throw stuff at it. I am equally as clueless and well, it sometimes works. I always have a box of bits left over at the end, but hell, that doesn't matter does it? 

41 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Very pleased to have just got the engine back in - feels like a big step 🙂

20190328_133212.jpg

I'd get it to a rolling chassis with working brakes, then bung the loom and electrics on before the bodywork. Try and get it running with a temporary fuel supply if possible first, then bung the tank and stuff on. 

Thanks all, am going system by system to get it started again. Fuel back on (minus tank, which is still being poached in vinegar), and I've started on the loom...

Crikey, you have gone balls deep, I have just wiped the dust off the mighty Gs500 and sorted the carbs so it runs.

Going to do a rattle can paint job and rock up at Lands end, that's about it lol

8 hours ago, srad34 said:

Crikey, you have gone balls deep, I have just wiped the dust off the mighty Gs500 and sorted the carbs so it runs.

Going to do a rattle can paint job and rock up at Lands end, that's about it lol

I've warned you about painting those flying cocks on bikes before....

It runs now too, test ride planned for later today, well maybe a quick run around the Scotton TT circuit (bout 3 miles!)

Edited to add: So, test ride completed. Other than realising I had plumbed in the fuel tap (on/res) the wrong way round, runs fine.

The bars/forks are twisted though, need to get that sorted before selecting a suitably inappropriate paint job!

IMG_0843.JPG

Archived