Australian Classic Superbikes

big nick

Amazing to see the old bikes with modern riding techniques on them. Almost elbow down in some corners. 

The sound is totally different too with bikes only revving to 10k. 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:23 PM, Johnno said:

Those Katana's  especially have a LOT of development done to them.  It's hard to say a bunch of wallets have showed up and spoiled it for the battler, but there are teams of 3 or so guys who are ex high end team members or engine builders and engineers who can sink lots of hours in to making shit happen like it never could before. 

It's not really normal for series 1 Katana to travel to the first turn with the front wheel 2 feet off the floor in 4th gear.

Some of the forgotten era bikes I saw at Morgan Park  were breathtaking.  I've posted pics of the CBX1000 I used to see,  it sounded like you just can not imagine.

When numbers were low sometimes they'd send them out with us in SuperSport.  My 600 is fairly well sorted for a mugs bike,   down 1 up 3 gearing,  power commander etc.  A guy had a GSX 1100 that looked very stock, no high end suspension mods,  but Christ only knows what was inside the motor.  It handled like a forklift through the turns but if had a straight to point it down it FLEW.  

I know Aaron Morris and he loves riding that Katana , he says most  impressive are the  brakes which just look like 2 piston Lockheeds, the frame is a copy with modern geometry (built by Dale Gilbert) , the Suzuki engine has had constant development for the past 30 yrs as it was a drag race favourite. Was a pity Aaron's gearbox shat itself as Josh Heyes was running similar lap time in the last race and would have been good to see them go head to head. Only a few weeks to the IFoS where Aaron will be back on the Kat and racing Jezza McWilliams

Yep, there's very little Katana in those bikes. Stunning things though.

21 hours ago, Superdunc said:

Yep, there's very little Katana in those bikes. Stunning things though.

Still 5 sp air cooled twin shock and Katana bodywork fits on it  😂............................however we have to move with the times a bit the original Kat never had 160hp, fat sticky tyres and awesome suspension and brakes,  the OEM frame and running gear wouldn't handle that.  The beauty of it is a replica can be thrashed and crashed and rebuilt for the next meeting. The genuine bike no.

The current crop of XR 69 replicas are just sublime

• 4 weeks later...

Archived