ZX-7R and ZXR750R wheel compatibility

trident_special

Hello folks, I've recently purchased a 1998 ZX7-R track bike, it however came with knakcered tyres that I would like to change, am I correct in assuming that originally the bike wore a 190 section rear? Am I also right in assuming that lobbing a 180 on would be a bad idea?

I also have a 1993 ZXR750R which came with a set of spare wheels, would the spare rear work on the 7R?

Don't know about wheel swaps, but going to a 180/55 on the back feels really good. I test rode a handfull of zx7r's a few years back and some can feel very laboured, like turning through porridge, others feel lovely. Using the set-up guide posted on here a bit back and this tyre size has made my bike feel really good. Not that it's ever going to be a modern 600 or anything, but it turns well while still feeling really planted. Great stuff.

the front is a swap between the '93 and the '98 but the rears are different. the '93 has a 5.5inch rim and the '98 has a 6incher.

put the rear ride height at its max and drop the forks through the yokes 10mm. it will transform it. put a 190/55 tyre on the back.

So would you confirm that sticking a 180 on to a 6 inch rim is a bad idea?

Its not a bad idea as many prefer the 180 as it sharpens the steering. i look at it this way....the difference between a 180 and a 190/55 is so close that many wouldnt notice it. its a case of larger contact patch over maybe sharper steering. ive ridden both and i use the 190.

I have a 180 on a 6" rear on my 750K1, feels no better/worse than the std 180 on a 5.5"rim. More concerned about the naff rear suspension, and the contact of Al tank and family jewels..................................

Paul

Archived