Coolant issue

heds954

Yesterday, some nugget nudged me off my cbr600rr7, whilst it was on its side a small leak of coolant emerged and when it was initially stood up the bike leaked a little more. After a minute or so it stopped leaking and I cautiously rode it home, but no more leaked from it and since it's been in my garage overnight it hasn't leaked any more. Is this normal, would a bike on it side leak coolant or is there some issue that needs further investigation?

Your help or advice would be much appreciated.

Ta

Heds

no idea...

sorry to hear about it, some tossers about ain't there. you and bike okay?

Yeah, I'm fine, well, a bit sore and achy (back, neck & head), but I think that's more to the shock of it and having to lift the bike up (uphill) than the incident itself. Insurance company are on the case, and I've to find out how much damage there really is to the bike, however the R&G stuff did there job perfectly.

Where did the coolant come from? Do you know or did it just drip out the bottom of the fairing after meandering it's way down the inside on some tortuous route you can't trace?

I'd hazard a guess that it was just a bit of gwibble from the expansion tank, but you might want to locate that and check it's not split half way down (like the split I have inflicted on my DRZ400E, for example.... ).

Expansion tanks tend to be made of clear plastic so any small point rock that can get to it can make a nice convenient hole - on the DRZs it's quite exposed, but I've no idea where one is on a CBR. Even then, I don't think a split would be too serious but if the coolant expands and you lose some from the tanek, when it contracts again, you may find the system is misssing a few% of the coolant it should have, IYSWIM.

Dave

IIRC it came from just in front of the rear wheel (pretty much where overflow pipes are placed) but I'd other things on my mind at the time (like restraining myself from having a full blown shouting match in the middle of the street) so I haven't looked at it since. Hmm, expansion tank you say, that's not a bad idea, I'll have a look in a bit.

IIRC it came from just in front of the rear wheel (pretty much where overflow pipes are placed) but I'd other things on my mind at the time (like restraining myself from having a full blown shouting match in the middle of the street) so I haven't looked at it since. Hmm, expansion tank you say, that's not a bad idea, I'll have a look in a bit.

And if it came from where the overflow pipes exit and the bike was on it's side, then some coolant could have just dribbled into the overflow pipe that comes from the top of the expansion tank and then slowly drained out.... :eusa_whistle:

Dave

And if it came from where the overflow pipes exit and the bike was on it's side, then some coolant could have just dribbled into the overflow pipe that comes from the top of the expansion tank and then slowly drained out.... :eusa_whistle:

Dave

That's what I'm thinking/hoping...

Still as long as it's well enough for me to nip it across to the Honda dealership for damage evaluation that's all that matters...

...just have to get my digit out and get the Blade up and running

It should be fine, probably as Dave had said, from an overflow or the expansion bottle.

If you're worried, then warm it up on the stand. You'll soon see if it is leaking from anywhere.

Yarp :eusa_whistle:

Archived