Battery woes

Guest bikertiger

Guest bikertiger

Dead battery problems

Had an issue the other week. Charged via an optimate - been fine since. But used the bike all friday, start this morning (saturday) and it's as dead as a .......

I've bought a new Vatra Battery and will fit it tomorrow

But seem's a bit strange -

Anyway, how difficult is it to change the battery over on a ninja?? Any quick and easy tips?

if its anything like an 07 ninja, you'll have to remove the trim panels on the sides (couple of bolts + clips) to get at the 2 hex bolts that hold the front seat on , lift it out . then remove the rubber strap that holds the battery down . job jobbed.

Guest bikertiger
if its anything like an 07 ninja, you'll have to remove the trim panels on the sides (couple of bolts + clips) to get at the 2 hex bolts that hold the front seat on , lift it out . then remove the rubber strap that holds the battery down . job jobbed.

Yeah I removed the trim and the seat. But there's a bar right across the middle (top) of the battery of which the fuel tank is screwed to? Do I need to take the fuel tank off. Seem's like an overly big top just to replace the battery! Ass biscuits :eusa_dance:

Tank off i'm afraid--or at least prop it up!make sure when fitting it all back together that the positive terminal cant short out on anything,makes sense to fit optimate leads too at this point.Also double check that when you refit the tank you havent kinked the tank breather hose by blowing up it--lots of home mechanics just put the tank on,kink the hose then when it rains your tank will get water in it and eventually have running problems! :eusa_think:

Guest bikertiger

So I left the original battery in as I couldn't find a way of getting the old one out....

I left it plugged in to the optimate all day

Later today I go out (started fine). Come back and it's dead again

Tried to jump start it with a car battery.......I figure this may not have been a clever move as the bike when you turn the key doesn't do anything???? No power :D

So - Have I killed it, by trying to jump start it with a car battery??

Is it just down to the battery loosing all it's juice so quickly, or something else??

Will it be expensive to fix do we think

So I left the original battery in as I couldn't find a way of getting the old one out....

I left it plugged in to the optimate all day

Later today I go out (started fine). Come back and it's dead again

Tried to jump start it with a car battery.......I figure this may not have been a clever move as the bike when you turn the key doesn't do anything???? No power :mad:

Is it just down to the battery loosing all it's juice so quickly, or something else??

Will it be expensive to fix do we think

Get a car! :D Why didnt u call the RAC or AA?

Guest bikertiger
Get a car! :D Why didnt u call the RAC or AA?

Your not helpful you know!

Car's have problems too :mad:

Just hopefully i've not damaged anything by trying to jump start it.

There's a kawasaki dealership near by so i'll take it down on Friday

Car's have problems too :mad:

Not as many as you seem to have with your bikes! You need to stop fiddling with them :D

Sounds like it was already borked if it lost allcharge that quickly. But yes, jumping it off a car battery *can* (but not necessarily *will*) warp the plates in the cells, knackering the battery.

Dave

Guest bikertiger
Sounds like it was already borked if it lost allcharge that quickly. But yes, jumping it off a car battery *can* (but not necessarily *will*) warp the plates in the cells, knackering the battery.

Dave

I don't mind if i've killed the battery as i've a replacement cleverly not on the bike ;)

Just making sure i've not damaged anything else?

I don't mind if i've killed the battery as i've a replacement cleverly not on the bike ;)

Just making sure i've not damaged anything else?

Given the way the thread has gone, I'd pay a man to swap them over *and* check the charging system at the same time, just to be sure... Gotta be worth the extra tenner for someone who knows what they're doing with a multimeter to have a quick poke about, even if it's just to set your mind at rest. ;)

Dave

Guest bikertiger
Given the way the thread has gone, I'd pay a man to swap them over *and* check the charging system at the same time, just to be sure... Gotta be worth the extra tenner for someone who knows what they're doing with a multimeter to have a quick poke about, even if it's just to set your mind at rest. ;)

Dave

Don't listen the the misses. I'm a genius when it comes to fixing bikes ;)

But yeah for piece of mind

Be ready for Wales ;)

Guest bikertiger

Think i'll give changing the battery myself

Any chance of a quick run through on how I get to it??

Side panels and seat unit off - I'm ok with that

The metal bar that crosses the battery that the fuel tank is linked to, does that come off first

Think i'll give changing the battery myself

Any chance of a quick run through on how I get to it??

Side panels and seat unit off - I'm ok with that

The metal bar that crosses the battery that the fuel tank is linked to, does that come off first

I had the same problem with my 6 you need to remove the side panels the seat and the two bolts that go through the frame ( careful with these as the thread suffers with time) take out the screw by the headstock at the front of the tank then un bolt the cross bar unit and lift of the tank. You should now get At the battery when you refit leave the optimate (if you have one) flying leads attached to the battery and tuckup under the seat so you can trickle charge later. Refit is reverse of strip . Careful you don't trap the throttle cables though. Don't try and jump or boost as these small batteries are easeily damaged. As an aside after my battery packed up my FI light came on due to faulty exhaust valve not connected with the battery fault but very common.

Unless theres a friend there to help(Mrs.bikertiger?)and hold the tank up as you undo the positive terminal(all a bit cramped and very fiddly),i would recommend removing the tank.Two large hex sockets about where your kness are,hex socket jest behind headstock,two 10mm bolts facing upwards that secure the bar and loom clamp,release the fuel pump connector(left hand side quite tucked away-slowly pull the tank to find it)small bodywork allen keys that secure the tail unit to the horizontal bar.Also a fuel cutout switch on the back of the bar on the right hand side-just unclip and pull the connector out,lasstly remove the fuel 'quick' release by squeezing the red bits together and pushing(easier saiad than done)just tug the tank breather pipe out with the tank and re-route it when refitting.good luck.btw they all seize their exhaust butterfly valve eventually and the valve is a sealed unit-when that does happen you gotta either buy a new silencer or get an akrapovic bar for the servo :eusa_whistle:

just to add-this process removes the bar with the tank attached!

Archived