Firestorm engine problem?

Speednumpty2

My 99 Vtr 1000 Firestorm has suddenly developed a loud clattering noise, seems to be coming from the front left side of the engine and it gets faster/ slower to match engine revs. :eusa_think:

Any ideas people, I am thinking it might be something to do with cam chain?

Oil level is ok and it had a service a few months ago.

Was not being thrashed when noise started and has generally been looked after though it has done a few miles now (60000 km).

Got it booked into local dealership next week for them to look at but wondering if i should be riding it at all or if i should try and get it picked up?

Not sure when it is worst as i stopped riding it as soon as it happened pretty much. Just makes a godafful sound and obviously isnt well. Had thought it may be chamchain related so fingers crossed it hasnt done too much damage.

Thanks for 2nd opinion.

If it is one of the Cam Chain Tensioners (which are prone to fail) and you're up for changing them out to upgrade to manually adjustable ones, check this link here from SuperHawk forum. It has a very detailed description, piccies included, on how to do the job yourself.

Cam chain tensioner it is my friend. Same thing happened to my 98/R plater at 14,000. Trundling along at 65-70 then I suddenly had a diesel VTR. Stopped straight away and didn't run up engine as I knew what it was and I'd been plannign to change them. I bought my replacements from David Silver at £30 a pop and if I recall correctly they are improved versionso r stock but I could be wrong (yellow or red dot?). I was lucky and it was just a case of making sure timing was correct, installing new tensioner and way I went again. I have read tales of valve damage mind if timing jumps a tooth when it happens. Hope yours is ok.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_24764/

Hope the above helps. Have a look on any VTR thread/forum and there will be mention of this achiles heel.

Corners

Archived