17'' wheel on a 98/99 rrw/x fireblade

RussBlade

right, ive got the wheel (vfr800, 1998 pre v-tec) £60 off ebay (with tyre). took the tyre off and lined up the brake discs and yes they line up perfectley.

here are some pics so you can see for yourself

this is the blade wheel disc face

Bladewheel.jpg

this is the vfr wheel disc face, as you ca see they are exactley the same

Vfrwheel.jpg

this is the measurment of the vfr wheel disc face to disc face,107.1mm

Vfrmeasure.jpg

this is the measurment of the blade wheel disc face to disc face 100.1mm

Blademeasure.jpg

so remove 100.1 from 107.1 and your left with 7mm too wide so going to remove 3.5mm from each side, later this week. which will make the vfr wheel 100.1mm wide face to face.

as you can see the spacers fit straight in both sides, the gap with old spacers when the rim is on the bike is 4mm, so i need to add 2mm to each spacer which will also be done later this week.

Spacer1.jpg

Spacer2.jpg

the spindle also slides straight in

Spindle.jpg

so with all measurments taken i'll be off to the machine shop this week if i get time, i'll post more pics up when its all done

some more pics

here are the new spacers against the old ones, they are 2mm longer

Space1.jpg

this is the vfr wheel, it was 107mm across the brake disc faces, i had 3.5mm removed so now its 100mm across

Newwheel100.jpg

and this is the wheel on the bike, just need a set of tyres now and thunderbirds are go !! ( where is cheap ???)

Wheeln2.jpg

Wheelon.jpg

oh and the princley sum for all this work??? £27.50 bargain

i did this a month or so ago, so obviousley some of the wording doesnt make sense.

its a pretty easy project and the results are amazing, bike is more stable in the twistys holds its line better. it shakes a bit on bumpy b-roads, but i like that lol.

rennsports are ace!!!!

Right, now I know that it will go, I'll keep an eye out for a wheel. There are quite a few mega mile vfr800s out there that end up being broken rather than sold complete, so it's just about being in the right place at the right time. Great that the spoke design is a spot on match for the blade. Anybody know if the VFR800 shares a front wheel with anything else? Just being cheap I think I need to widen the net in the search. I know the earlier blades took a vfr750 wheel. I think I've read of firestorm wheels going in, and SP-1/Sp-2s too. Come on Rainer, you know you want those carbon wheels. Give you £20 for your standard front :D

I think ultimately this will be a must do mod. I don't know how long the 16" tyres will be available for, at least at sensible money.

Thanks for sharing!

firestorm wheels fit, but the discs dont line up with the holes, sp1/2 wheels, not sure but i dont think so.

this is about the simplist mod providing you can find a machine shop with a big enough laith. if you look on a couple of the fireblade sites there is loads of info, although most of it is more confusing than helpful lol

firestorm wheels fit, but the discs dont line up with the holes, sp1/2 wheels, not sure but i dont think so.

this is about the simplist mod providing you can find a machine shop with a big enough laith. if you look on a couple of the fireblade sites there is loads of info, although most of it is more confusing than helpful lol

Happily, my brother in law has got a very big one. (Lathe that is)

He restores vintage cars for fun (has 2 vauxhall 30/98s AND a pre production racer, plus a load of other 'less special' stuff including a Jag E type). His next project is a Scott bike.

While this looks interesting, I am sure that the front wheel from a VFR750FV or CBR600FV goes straight in with no work needed whatsoever.

SP1/2 wheels are quite different to vfr800 wheels, the distance from the centre of the wheels where th ebrake discs bolt up is much bigger on the sp's, but is the same as a 929/954 blade. Then, on the sp's the spacers from one side to the other are different (putting an sp wheel in with 929 spacers moves the wheel about 3mm to one side).

NC30 fronts fit also.

And like the big guy says, CBR600 and the 96-98 vfr fits with no machining at all.

VFR750 96-98 rear swingarm drops straight in as well.

While this looks interesting, I am sure that the front wheel from a VFR750FV or CBR600FV goes straight in with no work needed whatsoever.

NC30 fronts fit also.

And like the big guy says, CBR600 and the 96-98 vfr fits with no machining at all.

VFR750 96-98 rear swingarm drops straight in as well.

these mods only work on pre 98 blades, the forks were wider on the 98/99 models and the brake discs were biger as well

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody know how to create wheel spin effects? I hace several templates for various wheels and tires but cant seem to get the motion effects quite right.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally got me a good vfr wheel to do the conversion of ebay. Doesn't need powder coating (at least it is in better condition than my existing 16" wheel), and has a good diablo on it. 100 quid. There are breakers asking 200 for a bare wheel!!!

Just off to sweet talk my friend with an engineering business to see if he will face the wheel and make the spacers. Gonna get me some of those new old stock EBCs.

He, Russ. Thanks for your help. The step by step guide you posted originally should help make the job straightforwards.

Just wondering about the rear. The front I've bought has a diablo on it. I might be tempted to buy a second rear so that I can have two sets of wheels, should give me more options and the rears seem to be pretty cheap to buy on the bay. Am I right in thinking that all the pre injected blade rears are compatible with each other? I know the chain adjusters are different on the RRW/X but I think that's all.

Si

He, Russ. Thanks for your help. The step by step guide you posted originally should help make the job straightforwards.

Just wondering about the rear. The front I've bought has a diablo on it. I might be tempted to buy a second rear so that I can have two sets of wheels, should give me more options and the rears seem to be pretty cheap to buy on the bay. Am I right in thinking that all the pre injected blade rears are compatible with each other? I know the chain adjusters are different on the RRW/X but I think that's all.

Si

Si

• 3 years later...

Would someone who's either done this or has the original 16" wheel post the dimensions for the spacers, please?

As mentioned elsewhere, my front wheel has been replaced with a 17" but I'm not sure if the spacers are accurate as the wear on the brake pads is uneven. Russ mentioned in his first post that the new spacers are 2mm longer than the standard ones but I don't have standard ones to check against.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Shirley Strappster the place such info would be a front wheel Fireplace forum?

Shirley Strappster the place such info would be a front wheel Fireplace forum?

That's a very niche forum.

That's a very niche forum.

Similar to www.woodenhorseshopatFinchingfieldgreenfanciersforum.org

In case anyone else is wondering, I found the appropriate measurements here.

• johnnymack63 unpinned this topic

Archived