Bugger ! R6 Running Problems

Arsix

Hey all, said hello many moons ago, but not posted since, so hello again.

Anyway, I am in need of the forums wisdom. My 99 R6 has developed a bit of a problem. It starts and idles fine, but when you accelerate it feels sluggish, and stranger still at 8000+ rpm the rev counter dances about, it'll jump 500rpm up and down instantly, however the engine speed does not. The engine does not cough, fart or splutter in any way, I have checked the air filter, changed the plugs, which were fine, balanced the carbs and changed the oil and filter. I am of the opinion that due to the dancing rev counter, it could be electrical, coils perhaps ?.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: .

I would check the battery first. Battery of my t'cat was toast, ran like shit.

Coils, first gen r6 uses CDI ignition. That's a strong, short spark. Older bikes had TCI ignition, long, weaker spark. Maybe timing is off, or coils are toast. If you have a multimeter, you can check the coils.

Thanks for the reply, could the battery be fooked, even though it fires straight away with no signs of being on the way out ?

Are the coils a known weak point ? would they breakdown gradually causing the problems I'm having ?

All knowledge gratefully received :tumbleweed:

With the toasted battery, my bike acted like a woman: sometimes it started right away, at other times it took some throttle to start (did that make sense?). Anyway, my bike vibrated like hell and didn't like to rev with the shitty battery.

Do you have a haynes manual for your r6? If you want to diagnose this problem yourself, I suggest you get one. And while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to buy a multi meter either.

Maybe someone else should chime in right now for some more advice?

Archived