blue exhaust header

cleatus

hi all,

I have a cbr929, so does my mate.

his exhaust headers are blue, nearly to the bottom of the pipes. mine are still, erm metal coloured.. i'm guessing that it's to do with heat? but why the difference?

both bikes are the same spec (standard pipes, ect). if it is to do with heat, then what'scould be causing the difference?

any ideas?

thanks

dan

You ride like a big gurl? :(:)

Seriously, though, I guess it's not just heat, but heat cycles - do you let the bike "warm down" after a ride? Does he thrash the tits off it and then just stop the motor in the way of a breeze. If they're made of the same material then I guess it'll work a bit like tyres do when they 'blue'?

(All the above is guesswork)

Dave

Does he ride at a higher revs for a given speed I.e. Does rev out a lower gear or travel a lot more in traffic so there is less heat diserpation.

You ride like a big gurl? :(:)

Seriously, though, I guess it's not just heat, but heat cycles - do you let the bike "warm down" after a ride? Does he thrash the tits off it and then just stop the motor in the way of a breeze. If they're made of the same material then I guess it'll work a bit like tyres do when they 'blue'?

(All the above is guesswork)

Dave

I actually do ride like a girl, but so does my mate so that's not it. thinking about it, yes my bike does 'warm down' after a ride as i have a long slow ride through a mega housing estate before i get home. he just gets off the dual carraigeway and home, so yeah maybe it's that.

good thinking mr wavey

dan

Does he ride at a higher revs for a given speed I.e. Does rev out a lower gear or travel a lot more in traffic so there is less heat diserpation.

higher revs? not sure, but i think our riding styles ( :) ) are very similar.

traffic? no more than me

dan

What I mean is if you are in 3rd and he is 2nd but travelling at the same speed but consequently higher revs then he will be generating more heat. He also could have an issue that his bike is running leaner than yours therefore running hotter is you air filter clean or his damaged or a problem with his airbox eg recent rebuild. The colouring is actually a indication of the level that the steel is tempered to .

What I mean is if you are in 3rd and he is 2nd but travelling at the same speed but consequently higher revs then he will be generating more heat. He also could have an issue that his bike is running leaner than yours therefore running hotter is you air filter clean or his damaged or a problem with his airbox eg recent rebuild. The colouring is actually a indication of the level that the steel is tempered to .

I understand what you mean about the revs.

Neither bike's been rebuilt, both bog standard and almost the same amount of miles. Maybe I'll have a go at comparing the filters or swap them over.

Thanks

Dan

I understand what you mean about the revs.

Neither bike's been rebuilt, both bog standard and almost the same amount of miles. Maybe I'll have a go at comparing the filters or swap them over.

Thanks

Dan

Were they both purchased new? Your mate's isn't an ex TT Racer is it? :eusa_whistle:

Were they both purchased new? Your mate's isn't an ex TT Racer is it? :D

No, they weren't new, but deffo (AFAIK) not raced.

Another thought...Mate always washes his bike, whereas I never use water on it, only oily parafin, especially to the headers. Don't know if it makes any difference but standard headers on a 929 are titanium?

dan

No, they weren't new, but deffo (AFAIK) not raced.

Another thought...Mate always washes his bike, whereas I never use water on it, only oily parafin, especially to the headers. Don't know if it makes any difference but standard headers on a 929 are titanium?

dan

I thought they were Ti too, and that would be why they are blue...

hmmm, In that case it might be my headers that are the 'wrong' colour. might be the oily washes discolouring them?

thanks

dan

spelling edit

x2

Archived