41mm forks on a lardy bike as stock?

lorenzo

OK, what bikes can you think of that have 41mm forks as stock and are a bit porky? I've stuck some off a gsxf on the front of my mates katana but it's a bit nose heavy, so I'm afer a really cheap solution to beef them up a bit. Depending upon where you're reading it, the springs on there at the moment are between 0.64 and 0.72kgs, I guess they're progressive and hence the value varies a bit. I'm looking at a set of knackered forks off a CBR1000F on ebay and just pilfering the springs out of them, I can make spacers to suit, but I can't find out what diameter the forks are on them, I'm guessing 41mm like most older hondas? Any other suggestions? Anybody got some mildly bent bandit 1100 forks they want to pull apart for me?

Anybody got some mildly bent bandit 1100 forks they want to pull apart for me?

Bandit 1100 :thumbsup: The 600 has 41mm forks the 1200 is 43mm, haven't heard of anyone putting 1200 internals into a 600.

How much are a set of springs in the right weight compared to what you are hoping to spend on a full set of forks off the bay?

Also consider that the knackered forks you buy could well contain knackered springs.

Currently I'm looking at spending a whole 99p on a set of cbr1000f forks. I paid just over £60 for the full gsxf front and rear ends. I love a bargain me, it's just that I end up buying stuff to replace it when it doesn't work...

I used to slip a spare CB 550 valve spring on to of the fork springs when they got soggy worked really well. So well I did the same with my GPZ 900 with clutch springs and some large washers!!! Bloody good too!!

Ah, but as the photo shows, the srping's are tough enough! I'm planning on emptying the cbr forks and putting them in my gsxf ones. It seems I live in my own little world of botchery...

Firestorm forks are I believe 41mm as are cbr600 steelie fm-fw and nc30, nc35...

theFatman is the walking encyclopedia of all things Honda so it's worth having a chat with him.

Well, I didn't get the 99p cbr thou forks, they went for a crazy £12 or so. I'm not made of money you know. I've a suspicion that thefatman may have a set of vfr750 internals knocking about, that'll be a good place to start. You're right heds, there's loads of hondas to pick from, the NC30 forks may well be a little too soft on a katana 1100 however...

Firestorm, nc30 and nc35 forks also take 4pots so that's worth considering, they all take the same size disc as well (296mm if memory serves), if it were me I'd get the VTR1000 forks, look very robust.

Sorry mate, it's not the forks I'm after, I'm just trying to find some 2nd hand springs that have the spring rate somewhere in or around the right level. All of this is to go into the gsxf forks I've got on there already. As it stands it's a bit nose heavy, but then again, the springs are only about 0.67KG. I'm trying to find some that are very cheap (not my bike, the other bloke's not paying) and will firm things up a bit. Of course, the best springs in the world still aren't going to help with its starting problems, but that's another thread entirely...

Sorry mate, it's not the forks I'm after, I'm just trying to find some 2nd hand springs that have the spring rate somewhere in or around the right level.

Aah, yep, now that I've re-read the thread... :icon_blackeye:

Archived