Tyres and speed rating

Syborg

Hi all

I'll be after a new rear tyre for my bike soon and I noticed that the same tyre was offered in two different speed rating - H as recommended for my bike or W, that one being slightly more expensive.

So.. I was wondering, is there a difference betwen the two, apart from the price obviously :beerchug:. would the one rated for faster bikes be better/worth the extra few ££?

Thanks

thanks Deviant.

Moto-tyres.co.uk does offer W rated tyres, i.e. below.

Pirelli DIABLO

150/60 ZR17 TL 66W M/C

only £99.80

Pirelli DIABLO

150/60 R17 TL 66H M/C

only £80.20

I was just wondering what the difference was. What would the paranoia be about? do they have more rubber to them?! they say W is up to 168mph.

thanks Deviant.

Moto-tyres.co.uk does offer W rated tyres, i.e. below.

Pirelli DIABLO

150/60 ZR17 TL 66W M/C

only £99.80

Pirelli DIABLO

150/60 R17 TL 66H M/C

only £80.20

I was just wondering what the difference was. What would the paranoia be about? do they have more rubber to them?! they say W is up to 168mph.

I always thought that this bit was the speed rating? :huh: I could be wrong though!

I always thought that this bit was the speed rating? :eusa_think: I could be wrong though!

Rating Mph km/h

L 75 120

M 81 130

P 93 150

Q 100 160

R 106 170

S 113 180

T 118 190

U 124 200

H 130 210

V 130 210

W 168 270

(W) 168+ 270+

Z 150 240

yup. you're right. Get the lowest speed rated tyres for the bike as they should be lighter. If they are on the recomended list you'll have no problems.

I are confused...

I thought the rating came before the rim size and the letter after the '66'(in this case) was more to do with the total load allowed through the tyre.. :eusa_think:

e.g. a 180/55 ZR17 is rated higher than a 180/55 WR17, but a 180/55 ZR17 66H has a separate meaning to a 180/55 ZR17 66W in terms of bike mass, rather than speed rating...

:eusa_think:

Dave

Indeed what does R and ZR mean?

When buying tyre online they use the last letter (here H or W) as "speed index". In the drop down menu for the tyre size you choose B/C/R/V/VB/VR/ZR

Indeed what does R and ZR mean?

When buying tyre online they use the last letter (here H or W) as "speed index". In the drop down menu for the tyre size you choose B/C/R/V/VB/VR/ZR

According to Metzeler, and something I knew already (so I was halfway right) the R='radial', although I have yet to find out what the Z in ZR means... The thing that others have said and that I got wrong is that the last letter is, indeed the speed rating (the W or H in your examples) and the number (the 66) is the mass rating (66=bike + rider must not exceed 300kg)

The difference between a VB and a VR (apart from VB being aa nice Aussie beer) is that one is Bias Belted and one is Radial construction.

Does this help or have I just muddied the waters even more...?

;)

Dave

Archived