08 R1 + Power Commander

jamesthehondaman

08 R1 r/white...1800km...standard. as new...

Is it worth putting a P/Commander on...??

Will it have better fueling than a ECU standard map??

SIMPLY...is it worth doing???

Many thanks

Does the colour matter?

Welcome BTW.

Very small gains to be had, but prolly make it "fell" nicer to ride. Plus you can get all MotoGP in the pits at trackdays with a laptop to out psych the other riders in your group.

In my humble opinion.......................No.

The gains are just not worth the cost. The R1 is a mighty motorcycle that needs little or no improvement in the engine department (apart from the sluggish response at very low revs).

Spend the money on a track day and smaller front sprocket (-1 tooth)

or

A ferry ticket and a couple or three nights camping in a forieign country **

or

Get your suspension set up

or

I could go on..........

** Just noticed your from Austrailia so the second suggestion might not be an option !!

I have an carb'd R1 so have no experience of PC111 etc. I do have experience of aftermarket management systems and unichip devices(interceptor type device not dissimilar to a Power commander?) from my motor racing days. Any way, If you want to get the best out of the stock engines for racing etc, run it on super unleaded and get it mapped to run with that fuel(standard stuff tends to be tuned for lowest standard fuel for the markets it is sold in) and also to take out any 'restriction' that the manufacturer may have programmed in for emissions or noise purposes.

If you're bike is road use only, it would be pointless. I was at a rolling road shootout last year and a GSXR1000 was run up, PC111, pipes etc and it made 170 odd bhp at the wheel. The owner then said he never revved it past 7K anyway, as it was already too fast! I guess what I'm saying is if you are going to do use the bike where the extra is needed then do it, if it is for fashion, don't bother.

Will it have better fueling than a ECU standard map??

SIMPLY...is it worth doing???

Many thanks

don't do it!

I put a PCIII on my 07 R1 and I couldn't tell the difference at all!

Do the sprockets and save your cash

I put a PCIII on my 07 R1 got it set up properly, then overrode that and turned all the settings up to 11, and I couldn't tell the difference at all!

Added truthfulness....

Dave

Many thanks to you all for the advise.....

1. Yes...ok...the colour doesnt matter...but I love the r/white...

2. Hondaman...had a silver 07 CBR1000RR that was my world...once...till I found this...

3. Thanks...just ordered a -1 front sprocket...

Ciao

ive always heard its hard to get extra power of of R1`s.

Ive just had a brand new 08 R1, i`l put some zausts on it and some nice red brake lines, a single seat and possibly a yamaha D/B screen and that will be about it.

Does the colour matter?

Welcome BTW.

Very small gains to be had, but prolly make it "fell" nicer to ride. Plus you can get all MotoGP in the pits at trackdays with a laptop to out psych the other riders in your group.

of course colour matters! White ones are much faster!

Just fitted genuine Yamaha -1 16t front...Makes a difference arount town...definately throws the speedo out though on the highway, (sorry motorway....actually I'm originally from Bath as a child...so, motorway it is)....scared the shit out of myself taking off at that first set of lights, you know....the ones before I turn onto the on-ramp for the motorway...

Archived