VFR 750 (triple)

vfiend

'97 VFR 750 41,000 miles

Intermittent loss of power, front left cylinder not firing (checked exhaust temperatures).

Had this prob few months back and put it down to poor fuel as it disappeared after running it down and refilling elsewhere.

Now doing it again (for the last tank and a half) so;

drained the carbs and

fitted new plugs in (it appears the previous owner never changed the front plugs, only ever bothered with the back! The new plugs did however gave a noticeable performance change when running on all four.)

Any experience on this problem?

2 routes are electrical or carbs.

The problem is worse when the bikes warmed up and the problem has cleared itself if I bring the clutch in and red line it (carbs?). This could be coincidental and the performance can still dip even at constant high revs (140 in 5th).

However, I do ride the bike every single day no-matter what the weather, so it could easily be some green wire or plugcap/HT giving up the ghost.

Any help / info would be much appreciated.

(Also I've checked the throttle / choke are operating correctly and smoothly, the fuel filter is squeaky clean)

have you checked the valve clearances ,reason being ,it cant be electrical as the corrosponding cylinder of that coil would also play up (unless its lead ,cap or plug )it may be carb .check for muck in it and float hight if it plays up when hot what little fuel is in the carb may be evaporating or running out .More likely the shims on that cylinder may be too big as the valve pockets into the head slightly which then means you are loosing compression as the valve andshim expand wih heat it will become worse

hope that helps

it cant be electrical as the corrosponding cylinder of that coil would also play up

I'm not sure about this: are coils shared on a vfr750? My 800 wasn't, it had 4 coils, I guess because the crank on a normal VFR isn't big bang like on an RC or NC30. If they do have 4 coils, I'd swap them round and see if it follows the coil or not.

I'm not sure about this: are coils shared on a vfr750? My 800 wasn't, it had 4 coils, I guess because the crank on a normal VFR isn't big bang like on an RC or NC30. If they do have 4 coils, I'd swap them round and see if it follows the coil or not.

mmmm not sure how many coils they have you may have a point

Archived