Factory replica RG500

johnnydeetz

This is my Dads' RG500, I put a thread on the old forum..but its now gone so I will post a new one.

He has finished the paintwork just last night, all ready for Pembrey this weekend where we are both racing, I am on a Moto Guzzi and we are both in the Post Classic race. I usually race supermoto, so its a bit different - but gonna be fun fun fun ! I managed a 1min 51 at Oulton the other week on the Guzzi, the first time I had rode the thing, so I am hoping for a good result this weekend. For us, its a long 5 hour drive to Pembrey, then I am racing at Wigan on Monday on the SM, relaxing weekend, naah.

I couldnt take any outdoor shots of the RG, Dad was still doing some last minute work on it, so its still on the bench and dark outside.

Basically, he designed and built himself the alloy square section frame, based on the works racers, he also made the tank, exhausts, swingarm, modified R6 forks..the list goes on. It has a Gamma motor, so is an F1 spec bike. Its all been done in our garage.

The bikes got 107hp at the wheel, the motor is standard currently except for the inlet ports, compression is standard so is the exhaust porting. Not bad power really. When its being sorted, he may go for a bit more power, but this is the first time the bike will be run. He had a couple of outings last year, but it siezed up.

Bike been done in HB colours, but they arent so keen on fag sponsorship replicas, so its been done as JD Suzuki, instaed of HB Suzuki..subtle !!

He is number 7 for this weekend, the only number that can go on a bike like this, ha ha.

dsc00166h.jpg

dsc00167b.jpg

This was last year, first time off the bench hence the scruffy look.

dscn0655pw6.jpg

Yubba yubba. Love that DAF used to sponser bike racing, beats crappy Fiat anyday.

I really need a track day Scania.

Very nice.. I know a guy who has a proper rgb500 racer, was once promised a ride but it never materialised!

Recon a period set of astrashites would look nice too, alhtough the frame is a work of art :rock:

Lovely! :D

When I bought my '94 TZ250 in 2003 I was offered an RG Mk12 (the last of the RGBs) for stuuuuuuupid money and had to think long and hard about it. I eventually decided against it as, being an RG and not a Gamma it would probably end up being a money-pit as I had the full intention of using it! I do kick myself a bit now that I never snapped it up though.....

Very nice bike, I doubt it has 107hp if the engine is almost standard.. My RG500 runs a 570cc big bore kit, stage 3 tune, bored carbs, Wolf 3D CDI, Mark Dent exhausts, Nova transmission, etc and only makes 124hp at the back wheel.. It really takes some effort to get an RG engine over the 100HP.. But lovely bike and however much power it's making, I am sure it will be quick and a lot of fun.. Just remember that if it starts popping out of 2nd gear, it's time to stop and get a new gearbox, before the transmission fails and trashes the crankcases.. Post some pictures from Pembrey

Top draw, I love the bodywork, super cool, does ur Dad have a hole drilled in his helmet like Barry Sheen so he can have a fag on the grid??

Love it!

Very nice bike, I doubt it has 107hp if the engine is almost standard.. My RG500 runs a 570cc big bore kit, stage 3 tune, bored carbs, Wolf 3D CDI, Mark Dent exhausts, Nova transmission, etc and only makes 124hp at the back wheel.. It really takes some effort to get an RG engine over the 100HP.. But lovely bike and however much power it's making, I am sure it will be quick and a lot of fun.. Just remember that if it starts popping out of 2nd gear, it's time to stop and get a new gearbox, before the transmission fails and trashes the crankcases.. Post some pictures from Pembrey

On Quills dyno, thats what it says.

It actually isnt fully standard, the exhaust ports are standard height, along with the transfers and inlet, but Dad has cleaned up and opened out the inlet ports from the disc valves, getting rid of that big ol lump around the barrel stud. He has also bored the carbs out a bit, I think to 30mm.

Plus his own spec pipes, and a Racetech ignition which alone added 4hp from simply adding that on !

It already has a Nova CR box, Dad wouldnt entertain risking a standard box in it. Next up, is a dry clutch as its a right bastard to push start unless its warm.

I have no reason to make up the numbers, 107 is what it has on that dyno. The Guzzi which I ride, has 104 on the same dyno, dads old TZ750 had 127, its not that far off.

No pics from Pembrey I'm afraid, it didnt go well for him we were far too busy.

He fell off it following me on the Guzzi !! I knew it would happen. :eusa_wall:

We fixed it for his 1st race, but they stuck him in the wrong class - he was up against RD350's ??!! He won his race, despite not even making it round 1 lap of practice and not seen Pembrey since 1993. In fact, he lead the race from the start before coming to the next corner (only the 4th one on the track) after where he fell off and then went on the grass thinking the corner wasnt as tight as it was !!! I dont know, you'd think he knew better by now.

He got put in the right class for today (Sunday) where he finished 12th and 10th. The front tyre was 7 years old, so thats his excuse.

I got two thirds on the Guzzi, not too bad, horrible front end handling probs, finally sorted it for the last race and the gear lever pin fell out !! DNF - typical.

• 3 months later...

Time for an update?

Time for an update?

OK

First race this year at Pembrey Classic meeting - crashed in practice ! Typical Dad, brand new bodywork and he always throws it down the road, but it was a harmless front end slide so no real damage, only screen smashed and a bent footpeg and holed fairing. I think I said what happened in my post above.

Second round at Darley, still not handling good, but was wet. Crashed in practice. Races, he was one of the quickest and got 3rd, coming through from last cos it spun on the startline.

Then he highsided in his next race, knocking him out cold, breaking his collarbone and ripping miscles in his back. Again, bike not too badly damaged, another screen gone and some damage to the seat unit.

Aintree, 3 weeks later. Won the 500 clas, new lap record. :pbheroub2:

Donnington Classic. Rear suspension finally getting better, 6th I think.

Brands Hatch - 5th in the feature race.

He is still messing around with the ignition and the rear suspension. It seems a different compression stack is needed as it collapses when it slides and bucks coming out of corners making the front light and we are at Max on the compression adjusters.

Next race is Aintree mid August, bike is getting better and better...if he stays on it !!

The bike is very fast, just losing it out of the corners compared to the big four strokes in the class (mine included), but is quicker down the straights and at the starts he gets mullered in a combination of bogging and revs. He will be making a heavier flywheel to try and get this sorted, currently it uses a pick up on the crank so has no flywheel at all.

It has the makings of a damn good bike, but as always, when making everything and only really doing the set up when racing it gets difficult. I think I will be riding it to get a second evaluation.

I race a Moto Guzzi, and have been up front in the same races, been a while since I rode a two stroke (mx not included), so I am looking forward to it.

druidsdad.jpg

OK

First race this year at Pembrey Classic meeting - crashed in practice ! Typical Dad, brand new bodywork and he always throws it down the road, but it was a harmless front end slide so no real damage, only screen smashed and a bent footpeg and holed fairing. I think I said what happened in my post above.

Second round at Darley, still not handling good, but was wet. Crashed in practice. Races, he was one of the quickest and got 3rd, coming through from last cos it spun on the startline.

Then he highsided in his next race, knocking him out cold, breaking his collarbone and ripping miscles in his back. Again, bike not too badly damaged, another screen gone and some damage to the seat unit.

Aintree, 3 weeks later. Won the 500 clas, new lap record. :thumbsup:

Donnington Classic. Rear suspension finally getting better, 6th I think.

Brands Hatch - 5th in the feature race.

He is still messing around with the ignition and the rear suspension. It seems a different compression stack is needed as it collapses when it slides and bucks coming out of corners making the front light and we are at Max on the compression adjusters.

Next race is Aintree mid August, bike is getting better and better...if he stays on it !!

The bike is very fast, just losing it out of the corners compared to the big four strokes in the class (mine included), but is quicker down the straights and at the starts he gets mullered in a combination of bogging and revs. He will be making a heavier flywheel to try and get this sorted, currently it uses a pick up on the crank so has no flywheel at all.

It has the makings of a damn good bike, but as always, when making everything and only really doing the set up when racing it gets difficult. I think I will be riding it to get a second evaluation.

I race a Moto Guzzi, and have been up front in the same races, been a while since I rode a two stroke (mx not included), so I am looking forward to it.

druidsdad.jpg

Excellent. A Proper bike, being properly abus.... ridden :P

He will be making a heavier flywheel to try and get this sorted, currently it uses a pick up on the crank so has no flywheel at all.

good idea it will certainly change to way it runs

• 6 months later...

Archived