Which Brake Pads?

prauk

Refitted the HRC cast iron discs on one of my RC30's but can't find the matching HRC pads! can anybody recommend aftemarket pads that work well with iron discs and won't cause excessive wear.

I've PFM Ductile Iron discs. I use Ferodo Platinum (organic) pads on the road and Bendix carbon matrix (MCR) for the track. Wal Saunders at West Performance (manufacturers of PFM) will give you plenty or options.

BTW Bendix mcr pads are absolutely phenomonal.

Pete

I'm also using Bendix carbon matrix pads with my PFM iron discs and couldn't agree with Pete more , they are awesome ! It's such a relief to find a combination of disc and pad that works so well , got mine from Demon Tweeks .

The Chief Engineer bloke at PFM recommended Ferodo CP911 pads with PFM iron discs. Sintered pads don't work well with iron discs because they get too hot apparently.

I also remember him saying that if you swap pad types you should scotchbrite the discs because you get quite a lot of material transfer between the discs and pads.

To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the PFM discs. They were good on the track but they were awful on the road because you couldn't get enough heat into them.

The Chief Engineer bloke at PFM recommended Ferodo CP911 pads with PFM iron discs. Sintered pads don't work well with iron discs because they get too hot apparently.

I also remember him saying that if you swap pad types you should scotchbrite the discs because you get quite a lot of material transfer between the discs and pads.

To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the PFM discs. They were good on the track but they were awful on the road because you couldn't get enough heat into them.

In regard to your last paragraph. What pads did you use for road riding? I've got PFM discs and they are simply amazing. I use ferodo platinum organics for road use then change to bendix mcr's for track. I can't understand how you say they were awful on the road?

Pete

(added after visit to Ferodo website) CP911 are race pads only. If you were using these on the road I could understand your comment but thats not the discs performance causing them to be "awful", its the wrong choice of pads.

Archived