98 R1 missfire and rev counter problem

Adam

Hi, I'm have a niggle with my R1, it ticks over fine and runs ok at low revs, however when I roll on I get missfire. also the rev counter isn't working. It jumps between what it should be reading, about 8k and zero. Does anyone know what this could be, or had the same problem?

Cheers

Adam

Hi, I'm have a niggle with my R1, it ticks over fine and runs ok at low revs, however when I roll on I get missfire. also the rev counter isn't working. It jumps between what it should be reading, about 8k and zero. Does anyone know what this could be, or had the same problem?

Cheers

Adam

My first guess would be that the missfire is also causing the tacho problem. I would look at the primary side of the ignition circuit. Find out which coil the tacho takes its signal from. Dodgy connection would be prime suspect. Otherwise a dodgy coil/ignition box.

Thats part of Yamaha's diagnostics! I think that if it reads 8k on the tach and zero then there is something wrong with the exup valve. Which is quite common for those.

Cheers

Adam

I *THINK*it's the EXUP valve.Yam's have a on-board diagnostic built into the tacho.I'm not sure about the R1 but the thunderace one was for Exup,fuel light sensor and TPS and will show different Rpm's for each of these problems.

Sorry,thats the best I can do... :tumbleweed:

flicks to:

3000rpm is the tps

7000rpm the exup is stuck, remove it, grease, and replace

4000rpm the speed sensor

fuel light flashes eight times then goes off for 3 seconds - fuelwarning light error

Yup EXUP indeed!whip off the bellypan,let it sit on idle till the fan kicks in,give all the exup bolts a good hit with a hammer and allenkeyand strip it all down to lube it with coppaslip!!They all do that sir!

Sounds like the EXUP valve is stuck to me I've had the same fault code when mine stuck, it usually means a strip and a clean of the valve to make sure everything is working as it should or you could try giving it a gentle tap with a rawhide mallet to see if that frees it off (it did when mine seized last year and did till I had enough time to strip and regrease it but I am a mechanical baboon at times)

So, who thinks it's the exup then?

Nahh it's gotta be the flux capacitor ain't it?

At least it sounds like something simple and cheap then!

If it isn't the exup valve itself, whip the tank off and make sure exup servo motor is connected properly - that would give the same symptoms.

and when you replace the tank, don't forget to re-connect the fuel level sender, otherwise you'll get another tacho error code

It could be the triple overhead manifold sproket.

Failing that I'd check your exup valve, cables and servo motor.

call woodford motorcycles 02089893157 ask for Kieran - he will do his best to help i promise.

i taught marianne what 4XV's are so now she knows

Ok, stripped the EXUP last night, fully seized, had to get the oxyacetylene on to it. No wonder the stepper motor was having problems. As expected, all the bolts holding the end plate on sheared.

Is it wierd that the tacho flicks to 8500 rather than 7000?

Ok, stripped the EXUP last night, fully seized, had to get the oxyacetylene on to it. No wonder the stepper motor was having problems. As expected, all the bolts holding the end plate on sheared.

Is it wierd that the tacho flicks to 8500 rather than 7000?

oh dear, hope you can get it sorted.

as for the exup error rev counter codes, from memory what revs the fault displays varies slightly from model to model.

Just a pain that I'll have to take the whole exhaust off. I reckon I'll have more success drilling them on the mill rather than by hand!

Just a pain that I'll have to take the whole exhaust off. I reckon I'll have more success drilling them on the mill rather than by hand!

yes, a pain. To remove the whole exhaust you need to remove the radiator to allow access to the header bolts. Not a tricky job, in fact it's pretty straightforward.

But you'll also have to disconnect the servo cables from the servo-motor end, which can be tricky if you can't get to the exup end of the cables to give you some slack!

good luck & keep us posted

junk it for a full system. that is the future :D

The EXUP system is off, cables are all fine, just the bolts in the collector to fight with.

How much bottom end do you loose when you put a full system on?

The EXUP system is off, cables are all fine, just the bolts in the collector to fight with.

How much bottom end do you loose when you put a full system on?

I can only tell you the results of mine, a '99 4xv.

standard headers with exup and Harris hi-level can was about 137bhp.

Akra full system increased that to 142bhp at peak but with a nice 16bhp increase in the mid-range. Now fluffy and less responsive under 4k; a small price to pay.

Once 4k is showing it starts pulling hard and it makes peak torque [78 ft/lbs] all the way from 6k to 10k. That's an increase from 74 ft/lb for the stock downpipes.

This is with a K&N & re-jet by Chris @ Road and Track dyno in Aylesbury. Peak power could have been increased above 142 but that would have resulted in less low-down and less mid-range gain. I didn't want to make it all top-endy though.

Additional benefit is the massive weight saving over standard system. The oe downpipes weigh an absolute ton. The akra system weighs nothing in comparison, and it sounds amazing to boot. it spins up through the revs quicker too.

initially, only the exup cables were removed, and I left the servo motor in place. That has now been junked in favour of an 'Ivans servo eliminator module' - no real reason for this last bit, other than I wanted to!

HTH

'Ivans servo eliminator module'

is this an actual piece of hardware you can buy, or is there a cunning get around to stop the maddening tacho waving??

Archived