Heat cycling, tyre warmers and conflicting advice

tootall

Have always known/been told that it's heat cycles that kill tyres, well race tyres and thats what I'm talking about.

So I go to the track, get the warmers on, and basically unless I'm out on track then the warmers are on the tyres all day. After the last session I'll put the warmers on but not plug them in so the tyres cool down slower.

This system has worked nicely for me so far.

Got an email from Dunlop race dept, via the FFM (french ACU), with updated recommendations for how to look after your tyres.

Blah, blah, pressures, check for tears etc.

"Do not leave tyres warmers connected for more than 1 hour à 80°C." WTF?

Have emailed them for a bit more precision but anyone got any comments?

How are you supposed to avoid multiple heat cycles during a day? Is this merely Dunlop trying to up sales by having tyres reck quicker?

I do what you do. Have done for years and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Why change???

dont have them on all day cos i cant stand listening to the generator. winds me up. i do put the warmers on (but not plugged in) as soon as it's on the stands though. change tyres every meeting anyway.

dont have them on all day cos i cant stand listening to the generator. winds me up. i do put the warmers on (but not plugged in) as soon as it's on the stands though. change tyres every meeting anyway.

Got mains eleccy at all our tracks (nerr) so genny noise no prob. Same as, change tyres every race weekend but its nice to not completely fuck 'em if poss, can use them for a trackday then.

next you'll be saying they have polite staff, and toilets that flush and have soft paper!

next you'll be saying they have polite staff, and toilets that flush and have soft paper!

Toilets and soft paper,yep. Polite staff? er nope. :lol:

Have always known/been told that it's heat cycles that kill tyres, well race tyres and thats what I'm talking about.

So I go to the track, get the warmers on, and basically unless I'm out on track then the warmers are on the tyres all day. After the last session I'll put the warmers on but not plug them in so the tyres cool down slower.

This system has worked nicely for me so far.

Got an email from Dunlop race dept, via the FFM (french ACU), with updated recommendations for how to look after your tyres.

Blah, blah, pressures, check for tears etc.

"Do not leave tyres warmers connected for more than 1 hour à 80°C." WTF?

Have emailed them for a bit more precision but anyone got any comments?

How are you supposed to avoid multiple heat cycles during a day? Is this merely Dunlop trying to up sales by having tyres reck quicker?

They will expect you to use fresh tyres for every meeting and you will not use up the 6 heat cycles at a typical meeting... But those who keep the tyres on longer will run out of heat cycles well before they throw the tyres in the bin.

It does make a difference once you get past the reccomended 6 heat cycles.... There can be some loss of life with tyre warmers on all day but it will not be the same as letting them cool between sessions or races. Cheap tyre warmers will have a bigger variation in heat as they cycle during their normal operation......

Tootall is fine as the warmers he has can have the temp lowered by 10 or so degrees if he wants to just keep them warm and then increase the temp ready to go out to race, also his warmers do not cycle in normal operation as they are true digital warmers which have a heat curve built into them so the heating element will keep them at the set temp with a variation of possibly less than 1 degree......

How come road tyres don't degrade with heat cycles, then? Or do they?

That's like asking why the clutch fitted to a VFR doesn't slip like a GSX-R 750 one does.

By that imean they are seperate products

Yeah, but why? What is it in race tyres' construction that makes them so affected by heat cycles?

Yeah, but why? What is it in race tyres' construction that makes them so affected by heat cycles?

Good question. Why not call and ask Dunlop? They are very approachable and now you ask, I'd be interested to know.

Make it so :D:eusa_think:

The construction of the tyres may be very close but the chemical make up of them is very different. Road tyres heat up quickly due to their silca content and do not need to run quite has hot to work. Race tyres don't have that and take a lot more work to heat them up... They need to run at higher temperatures so need to be pushed hard from the first lap to help get them up to temp or keep them there and over time the rubber can change and almost vulcanise with repeated heat cycles and become harder and almost feel like plastic when they have gone off........ I saw some data once and it showed that in localised areas the race tyre could be up well over 110 degrees C, even road rubber getting to these temps will make the tyre go off but most riders will no longer be on road rubber if they can get the tyres to work that hard.

Archived