skimming brakes discs

fastfox

Hi Dudes,

The Discs on my track bikes, wets rims are slightly warped.

I work at a factory who has its own engineering department. One of the lads has offered to skim my discs.

The standard for the dicsc is 5mm with the max wear limit being 4.5mm.

Assumming that after ive had them skimmed, the discs are still within limits, will they be safe?

Hi Dudes,

The Discs on my track bikes, wets rims are slightly warped.

I work at a factory who has its own engineering department. One of the lads has offered to skim my discs.

The standard for the dicsc is 5mm with the max wear limit being 4.5mm.

Assumming that after ive had them skimmed, the discs are still within limits, will they be safe?

It worked OK for me on the Mighty XS... It was horrid stuff to cut though....... (Stainless steel, made to look good instead of stop discs.)

are they floating? can you get the buttons off ok, and then back on again.

If you just throw them on a magnetic table, grind, and flip over and grind again you're not getting them parallel, especially as they are warped already....

i'd think about getting some lovely spankers for the slicks, and putting the current slick ones on the wets. Never lean the wets against a wall on the disk - sounds silly, but i've seen a brand new disk knocked out of true just by that happening. Get a stand for them if you can. same goes for laying them on their side in the van.

are they floating? can you get the buttons off ok, and then back on again.

If you just throw them on a magnetic table, grind, and flip over and grind again you're not getting them parallel, especially as they are warped already....

i'd think about getting some lovely spankers for the slicks, and putting the current slick ones on the wets. Never lean the wets against a wall on the disk - sounds silly, but i've seen a brand new disk knocked out of true just by that happening. Get a stand for them if you can. same goes for laying them on their side in the van.

Cheers. Mission failed though. They were warped from the breakers. We tried to put them on the layfe we could grip them but they flexed too much.

We put the left one on and it was only out 3 thou.

Must be the right one.

They need to go on a grinder but its the one machine we dont have...

So, its a pair of disc it is. . . .

Archived