Fork Oils seal swap.

morepower

OK today the R1 had it's blown oil seals sorted out. No pics of actually poping them out of the fork but at least you can see the tools I used to strip them and then bleed them up.

KTech do all of the tools and will really make the job easy if you have them.

dsc9817.jpg

dsc9803.jpg

dsc9804.jpg

dsc9806.jpg

dsc9810.jpg

dsc9812.jpg

Once the air gap was set the fork had the springs re-fitted and the suspension top put back on. But the forks really do need all of the air bleeding out of them as it really can mess up the air gap if there is still air in the cartridge.

I used 7.5w oil and set the air gap at 105mm.

I cannot get excited looking at broken bike bits anymore.... Now let me loose on a bike I light up and may even smile......

I just had my early R1 forks serviced & re-valved at MCT, along with a service/re-gas for the ohlins shock & steering damper.

Feels like a new bike, especially the fork re-valve. Farkin' lovely, I tells ya :)

I just had my early R1 forks serviced & re-valved at MCT, along with a service/re-gas for the ohlins shock & steering damper.

Feels like a new bike, especially the fork re-valve. Farkin' lovely, I tells ya :eusa_whistle:

I just re-sprung the forks and used 7.5w oil. The springs are a bit firmer and slightly shorter... Just found some Triumph 675 race springs laying round (as you do) and thought I would try them. It they work great if not i can swap back easy enough..... The 7.5w oil does make a big difference though and made the bike feel a lot more controlled when I did the oil swap last year. The valves are not actually that bad in the 2000 R1 forks it is just they have too much travel and can need a slightly thicker oil.

Nice wrist action you got going on there :(

your helmet doesn't look safe balanced on that box or whatever it is

Thanks, the wrist action has taken years of practice. Every chance you get has to be used to perfect the art.

The helmet is Adams, it is the one he wore when he had his 100+MPH crash at Mallory. He allowed someone to squeeze him over at Lake Esses and I have made sure he keeps it as a reminder so he doesn't let it happen again!

Archived