FI warning light

gsxr renegade

Had a full system on my gsxr750 for a few months now, the fueling was fine when i bolted it on, so i've never had the fuel ratio adjusted with a power commander.

Recently, the FI warning light keeps coming on intermittently, but with no drop off in performance, and if i turn the ignition off and on again, the light goes away.

I originaly thought it might be to do with the exhaust valve servo, but the plate supplied to fool it isn't loose.

Could this be signs of a major problem, or is it nothing to worry about?

Next time the light comes on open your rear seat and you'll see a black cap covering a connector/harness on the left side of the seat. If you take the cap off, you'll see it appears to be a normal harness. With your key in the ignition and bike turned to "on" (but not running), take a paperclip and short the two connectors out (by touching the two contacts together). This is known as a "ghetto dealer mode switch". It should display the error code on your display instead of just FI now.

GSXR Fuel Injection (FI) Code List:

C14 - THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

C15 - ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR

C21 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR

C22 - ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE SENSOR

C23 - TIPOVER SENSOR

C24 - IGNITION SIGNAL #1

C25 - IGNITION SIGNAL #2

C26 - IGNITION SIGNAL #3

C27 - IGNITION SIGNAL #4

C28 - SECONDARY THROTTLE VALVE ACTUATOR

C29 - SECONDARY THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

C30 - SECONDARY THROTTLE CONTROL UNIT

C31 - GEAR POSITION SENSOR

C32 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #1

C33 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #2

C34 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #3

C35 - INJECTOR SIGNAL #4

C41 - FUEL PUMP CONTROL SYSTEM

C42 - IGNITION SWITCH SIGNAL

C46 - EXHAUST CONTROL VALVE ACTUATOR (1000 ONLY)

I originally thought it might be to do with the exhaust valve servo, but the plate supplied to fool it isn't loose.

What plate?

Do you not have to remove the pink wire from the ECU connector, or is that just the K5 1000?

What plate?

Do you not have to remove the pink wire from the ECU connector, or is that just the K5 1000?

No, don't have to remove any wires, but you have to attach a small plate (the best way i can think of describing it is sort of a banana shaped bit of metal*) to the exhaust valve servo, to fool the ecu into thinking the valve is still in the exhaust. Otherwise, when you turn the ignition on and the bike does it's checks, it'll pick up on the fact the the valve isn't working, and the FI light will be constsantly on.

*Can you tell that i have a wealth of technical experience! :eusa_think:

Had a full system on my gsxr750 for a few months now, the fueling was fine when i bolted it on, so i've never had the fuel ratio adjusted with a power commander.

Recently, the FI warning light keeps coming on intermittently, but with no drop off in performance, and if i turn the ignition off and on again, the light goes away.

I originaly thought it might be to do with the exhaust valve servo, but the plate supplied to fool it isn't loose.

Could this be signs of a major problem, or is it nothing to worry about?

Who knows... Lots of stuff to check but it could be as simple as blocked fuel filter or dicky regulator?

Who knows... Lots of stuff to check but it could be as simple as blocked fuel filter or dicky regulator?

I don't think it's either of these, as there is no drop off in performance, and none of the other electrics are playing up.

Hmm. I'll check it in the garage tonight.

Cheers guys.

No, don't have to remove any wires, but you have to attach a small plate <snip>

I'm pretty sure that is what removing the pink wore does, it no longer squawks about the servo not having the cables or the valve to operate. My LOR can and link pipe has removed the valve, so unless you I did this, you'd be bothered by the FI light..... Maybe the 750 is different?

I'm pretty sure that is what removing the pink wore does, it no longer squawks about the servo not having the cables or the valve to operate. My LOR can and link pipe has removed the valve, so unless you I did this, you'd be bothered by the FI light..... Maybe the 750 is different?

Yeah, i had to remove the cables, and as it's a full system, the valve was removed with the standard exhaust. The instructions didn't say anything about a wire though.

This may be K5 1000 specific, but I found this:

16. In order to prevent a warning light appearing on the dash now that the exhaust valve has been removed it will be necessary to remove a pin from the fuel injection computer. Disconnect the two connectors from the computer. Take the larger of the two connectors and from the rear identify pin number 33 with a black and brown wire (see diagram). On one side of the front of the connector are two white tabs, on the opposite side is a single white tab. Push in the single white tab; the two white tabs on the opposite side will push out. Pull the black and brown wire of pin 33 out of the back of the connector and the pin will come with it. Push the two white tabs back into place to lock the remaining pins. Wrap some electrical tape around the pin and tape it to the wiring harness. Re-connect harness to computer.

This link might be useful too: Set Valve Removal

And loads more on the SET valve removal here: http://tinyurl.com/c2u9bu

Bear in mind my bike is a K5 1000, and I have no idea if yours is the same as mine in terms of FI components, or zorst construction. Your pants may or may not catch on fire, and a monkey may eat your shoelaces if you choose to believe any advice published on a Septic website.

Found this, specifically for the 600/750. Valve removal with pics

I'd have though you would have seen the FI light pretty much all the time of this was the case though?!

Found this, specifically for the 600/750. Valve removal with pics

I'd have though you would have seen the FI light pretty much all the time of this was the case though?!

Yeah, the part that gets me is that the light seems to come on whenever it wants to. cheers for the link.

Yeah, the part that gets me is that the light seems to come on whenever it wants to. cheers for the link.

You might have leaking electrical pipes. Or perhaps the electric is leaking out, and then condensing in the ECU as the bike is sat. A pool of sparks could be root of the issue, but if your protons and neutrons are imbalanced, you could be facing a fusion anomaly.

Or sumptin.

but if your protons and neutrons are imbalanced, you could be facing a fusion anomaly.

I think a crazy uncle of mine had a problem like this on a delorean that he was rebuilding. Not sure what he meant though.

:icon_salut:

Archived