RG250 Non Starter / Wire Diagram

Crofty

Hi, I need some help getting my RG250 Mklll running after a long rebuild. It started twice for about a second, now has no spark.

I suspect the CDi but cant grasp the method of testing it!

Gamma.jpg

If I unplug the CDi I get what appears to be an alternating current at the Green and Black/Red wire...the meter needles goes the wrong way, hits the stop, than flicks across to positive voltage. Now the confusing bit is if I unplug the Power Valve Servo, I get 8 Volts at the Red/White to the CDi!

Any help wud be most appreciated as its been 18 Months in the making, this thing!

Oh, and one note, it looks like there may be a mis print on the wire diagram!! At the CDI Green and Black/Yellow I believe are mixed up!

CDI testing is very hard with a multimeter

check the stator resistances and check if you've got voltage to the HT coil

check the ignition coils and the pulser coil

If these check out then CDI is suspect

Best method is to swap with a known good one

No Volts to the coil..... Black/Yellow is deader than a dead thing.

If I remember correctly the RG workshop manual has a load of info on testing the CDI.....

No Volts to the coil..... Black/Yellow is deader than a dead thing.

Do you have correct Stator resistances?

Also check if the stator is producing voltage when you kick it over, from both the source coil and the pulser coil

If so, then assuming you've not got it switched of, then it is looking very likely to be the CDI

At the CDI, I can detect voltage at both the Green and the Red/Black when its kicked. The manual has masses of info re testing the Generator, the Power Valve Servo and Control Module, but nothing for the CDI. Resistances I will check tonight and make use of the extra hour of daylight!!

The Suzuki gives values for checking the ignition coils, but goes on to say that using a none Suzuki meter will give different results!! But THIS different??

R/W > B/W Spec = 4000 to 7000 Ohms Reading is 100 Ohms

G > B/W Spec = 19 to 29 kOhms Reading is 9 Ohms

B/R > G Spec = 500 to 1500 Ohms Reading is 9 Ohms

Now, the Red/White wire is dead,even when kicking the engine over, however, if I unplug the 3 wire plug to the Genny, the R/W now shows about 4 Volts (and the Neutral Light Dims) and if I also unplug the CDI I have full battery voltage here. That I don't understand.

Your time is really appreciated here.

Checked out the resistance readings on the regulator, coz of the above mentioned difference, and they were miles off Suzukis specs, too....kind of renders manual figures redundant!!

Unplug the stator completely to test it (if you havent in the above post), then re-post resistance values for the source (both high and low speed) and the pulser coil

Also confirm if they produce AC voltage when kicking it over

The above values are with the stator unplugged. You know I mentioned I had volts out of the Red/White wire if I unplugged the stator? Well the cause is the Temp Sensor. If I unplug ALL of the engine wiring, leaving just the temp gauge, the WHOLE BIKE IS LIVE, to the tune of 8 Volts!!! Now I know the votage from the temp gauge has no earth if the engine loom if unplugged, but is it really normal for the temp sensor to do this?? The gauge works OK, if I ground the Sender wire, the gauge reads HOT, as per normal. I,m guessing the sensor is FUBAR'd? If I kick the engine over, no signal is detected out the Red/White wire. Isn't this the trigger for the CDI?

G > B/W is now 200 Ohms with the Temp Sensor un plugged!!

Thank you again.

very strange about the temp sender - all it is, is a variable resistor that changes value with heat

dunno what to say about that, at the moment

Lets just do the ignition first, as it is a totally seperate circuit

Yes - the r/w wire is the pulser coil, and it triggers the CDI to fire every engine revolution

So you are saying the manual says R/W to earth should be 4 - 7K ohms but you've got 100ohms, and you've got not no AC voltage out of it when you kick it over - correct

sounds like you got a short - check the wiring all the way back to the pulser coil

Also check the gap between the pulser coil and the rotor - it has to be pretty close to 'see' the magnet

Normally they burn out when they fail and show open circuit ie infinity

Hmmmm, I've unplugged the Red/White and have no resistance between the red/white wire from the pick up and earth.

I've unscrewed the pick up from the crank case, and its open circuit again, so there's no short in the wire.

The pick-up is as close to the rotor as its screw slots will allow, and still generates no signal to the CDI.

Could the engine becoming live off the temp sensor have killed the pick up or CDI?

Hmmmm, I've unplugged the Red/White and have no resistance between the red/white wire from the pick up and earth.

I've unscrewed the pick up from the crank case, and its open circuit again, so there's no short in the wire.

The pick-up is as close to the rotor as its screw slots will allow, and still generates no signal to the CDI.

Could the engine becoming live off the temp sensor have killed the pick up or CDI?

Is it open circuit (infinity resistance) or shorted (zero resistance/ continuity) ?

Thanks....maybe getting somewhere now? By short, do you reckon its a faulty pick up?? The wire itself is not grounding, I've checked that. £50.00 quid to get the pick up replaced.....

Thanks for taking the time to help, ur a top man.

Gary

Yeah sounds like an internal short

the resistance readings should be in the ball park of the figures quoted in the manual, so if its supposed to be 4K to 7K ohms and you've got 0 ohms then its knackered if you're sure it ain't a grounded wire from the insulation worn through etc

They normally go open circuit due to burning out

If that still don't sort it out, then PM me if your struggling

I knew all those years of messing with two strokes would prove useful someday

Archived