ignition advancers

addiction269

There are two ways to do it - fit an advancer or use slotted cam wheels. The first is usally a bolt in plate that moves the factory setting. The second tunes each cam to optimum, you need to take the cams out and set it all up using a timing wheel, it's more complicated (but not to difficult) but slightly better result.

Tuned to what level though?

What about say your average power commander set up, would it be worth adding the ignition module if you were to set the whole package up to run on BP ultimate or such?

Or is it only useful with high compression and av gas and all that good stuff?

:eusa_think:

IMO an ignition advancer is only worthwhile if you've improved the gas flow characteristics of the cylinder head (gasflowing, porting, adjusted cam timing etc) ,or you have seen a large power hike by fitting the traditional air filter and system or if you've increased the compression ratio...

Could be why I found an improvement -full akrapovic, filter and a head skim. Although some 9r owners have reported a fuel glitch to be sorted with an advancer...dunno though, not tried it on a stock bike.

My two pennyworth as the 7r was mentioned. My 7 is my old track bike so its running with straight air tubes, k&n filter, jetted carbs, full muzzy system and a factory ignition advancer. I went to PDQ to have it set up as they have a good reputation for the 7r. The guy was a genius, he binned most of the dyno jet kit replaced the jets and changed the springs for some he had got made locally that he says were better for the bike.

When we were talking about the bike and the problems the muzzy was causing it I asked him about the advancer as I had taken the origonal with me incase he wanted to swap them about. His opinion of them was not high, he said that if I hadn,t already fitted it he would advise not to waste my money but as it was on there he would leave it. He had no preference between advanced or standard. Like I said the bloke was a genius, the dyno time time was the best money spent on the bike.

Thank you mike, and Zedsdead.

Reckon the £50 or whatever for an advancer will be better spent elsewhere. Ta

hmm, scurries off to price up progammable ignition modules...........................

i doubt it will increase bhp in a measurable way, but it should improve lower rpm 'performance feel' and probably improve mpg as well.

cars run a load of advance at part thottle low rpm for economy/emissions, like 50 odd, but it is all pulled out for WOT. since big a road bike spends very little time indeed at WOT then there probably are benefits with an otherwise standard motor - you are not going to be running at the edge of det very much. See previous posts regarding subjective performance improvements.

i would bet you wouldnt be able to measure it.

would i bother - i'd probably put my 50 quid towards the next set of tyres.

What are your thoughts on this statement then? Taken from: HPS

Q. If itÍs safe to fit an ignition advancer to my bike, why doesnÍt the manufacturer fit one in the first place?

A. Manufacturers tune engines for the widely varying conditions within the regions into which their bikes are exported. In certain parts of Eastern Europe, for example, the petrol quality is far lower than in areas such as the UK, Spain, Germany, France or Italy etc., meaning that itÍs necessary to retard ignition timing to avoid the pinking or detonation which low quality petrol can cause. If your bike is being used in areas where the petrol is of high quality, itÍs completely safe to advance the ignition on an unmodified engine by 4 or 5 degrees. If an engine had had its compression ratio increased, itÍs still normally safe to advance ignition by 2 or 3 degrees.

Firstly, it comes frome someone selling igntition advancers so do you think they are unbiased?

:eusa_dance: No not exactly, but I would have hoped there was some basis in fact! It sounds plausible to me but I understand (sort of) what you are saying.

Thanks for the reply and your above explanation of ignition timing.

Archived