WooHoo. I'm rejoining the 2 stroke ranks!

IforB

Well, that's it decided.

Sod the trackday GSXR idea, I'm getting back into buzz bombs. Alright it's not an RGV, but a motocrosser.

Back to rebuilding the thing every 3 weeks, wondering if Boyesen reeds really are worth it, premix, lightning clutch reactions, constantly listening for that metallic note that tells you it's about to shit itself etc.etc.

I can't wait! :eusa_whistle:

Well, that's it decided.

Sod the trackday GSXR idea, I'm getting back into buzz bombs. Alright it's not an RGV, but a motocrosser.

Back to rebuilding the thing every 3 weeks, wondering if Boyesen reeds really are worth it, premix, lightning clutch reactions, constantly listening for that metallic note that tells you it's about to shit itself etc.etc.

I can't wait! :icon_blackeye:

Good man, and good luck! What you getting?

I'm off to see one of these in the morning. Fingers crossed it isn't piece of crap.

98rm125.jpg

I'm off to see one of these in the morning. Fingers crossed it isn't piece of crap.

98rm125.jpg

Update ?

Was it APOC ?

what year is the other one? looks very nice. love the a/cooled crossers aswell as the early w/c-drum brake bikes. would love an early water cooled yz 250. in the yellow

I'm afraid it was an absolute shit heap. I'm well pissed off as it was described as "mint". Well, it was sort of polo like in that it had a farking great hole in the middle of it. Compression was nil, the forks leaked like the Titanic and the swing arm wobbled about like a fat bird after 10 sambucas.

Anyway, I've got a few more to see over the weekend, fingers crossed I'll find something that isn't a complete shed.

I'm afraid it was an absolute shit heap. I'm well pissed off as it was described as "mint". Well, it was sort of polo like in that it had a farking great hole in the middle of it. Compression was nil, the forks leaked like the Titanic and the swing arm wobbled about like a fat bird after 10 sambucas.

Anyway, I've got a few more to see over the weekend, fingers crossed I'll find something that isn't a complete shed.

Mate was it a KX 250 and was it in newcastle ?

Good man! Welcome back.

Took both my bikes for an MOT yesterday. The R1 did everything very well. I'm still toying with selling the RD500 but the grin I had when I dropped it off with the MOT tester said it all.

• 2 weeks later...
Mate was it a KX 250 and was it in newcastle ?

No, it was an RM 125.

Saw another bag of spanners yesterday and I'm starting to get demoralised by it. I'm even going to see a 250 four stroke (Spits......) just because the bloke sounded straight forward, intelligent and has spent a bomb on the bike. I've got to the stage where all I want to do is get out on the track and if I have to ride a 4 stroke at twice the price, then I'll do it.

I haven't seen one bike where the year of manufacture has matched reality. Most sellers don't know that the year is stamped on the frame as part of the frame number (10th digit on YZ's for example) so when you explain that their 2004 model is actually from 2000 they are either surprised as that is how it was sold to them, or they start bullshitting as they have been caught out.

I just want to deal with an honest person. How fucking hard can that be? I've got cash in my wallet and it's still taken an age, not to mention the amount of money I've spent on petrol going to see these bag's of crap.

You will just have to sift through the crap to find a good un. It's easy to get demoralised and there is a lot of crap out there. Once you find a good one though it will be worth it.

Hope you find what you want :eusa_think:

I know. I've just got to grit my teeth. However, after having seen 12 awful bikes, all described as "mint" by their owners it does start to wear a bit!

I'll get there, but if I have to go for a namby pamby 4 stroke then so be it. It just isn't right though. A motocross track so be full of blue smoke and screeching 2 strokes instead of boring but grunty 4 strokes that have about as much drama to them as my old Ford Focus.

I know. I've just got to grit my teeth. However, after having seen 12 awful bikes, all described as "mint" by their owners it does start to wear a bit!

I'll get there, but if I have to go for a namby pamby 4 stroke then so be it. It just isn't right though. A motocross track so be full of blue smoke and screeching 2 strokes instead of boring but grunty 4 strokes that have about as much drama to them as my old Ford Focus.

If I was buying a secondhand motocross bike of unknown history I would definetely go for a two stroke. A four stroke will cost a fortune to repair if it goes pop, you really need to know it the proper maintenace schedule has been followed. Two srokes are a lot less maintenance intensive and a lot cheaper to repair if they do break.

I would steer clear of the rm's as the power valves tend to break, drop into the exhaust port and catch the piston if they havent had regular power valve maintenance, similar to the rgv's.

A 250 would be a safer bet than a 125 if your are looking at older bikes as they dont get riden as hard, I would personally go for a CR for the superior build quality or a YZ.

Having said that the last two off road bikes I had were KTM 125's and they were pretty damn reliable and required minimal maintenace, the linkless rear suspension means you dont have the hassle of greasing/replacing shagged out suspension linkage bearings etc.

Fortunately I know this bike well. It's been looked after by someone I know who is a motocross legend and described it as "mintier than a packet of Trebors". He's just replaced all the suspension linkages, rebuilt the shock and forks and pulled the engine apart to check and couldn't find a thing to worry about.

I fully expect any 125 crosser to grenade itself on a regular basis and thanks to 5 years of racing the damn things, I got pretty slick at whipping pistons out. However, I'm old, fat and about as fit as Jade Goody, so 4 stroke power delivery sort of appeals, even if it is wrong for a motocross bike.

I was after a KTM 125sx and was in the car yesterday driving to see one, when the chap rang and told me he'd just sold it....................Arse. He was the only other seller I'd spoken to who sounded as if he had more than 6 working braincells and I suppose that's why his bike went in under 24hrs from the ad going up.

Sorry gents, but I broke and bought a YZ250f four stroke...................I await the brick bats and name calling. Sorry!

Mea Culpa etc.etc.

We're not talking to you now !

Sorry gents, but I broke and bought a YZ250f four stroke...................I await the brick bats and name calling. Sorry!

Mea Culpa etc.etc.

Totally amazing bike.

wondering if Boyesen reeds really are worth it

in a word yes

in more than one word, my dad put some in my CR80 back in the day without telling me, lined up at the start of a race, dropped the cluch and....flipped it straight over the back! look like a right novice! honestly nothing we did to that bike made more of a difference, tuning, pro circuit pipe, blue printing etc...!

I had my first blat around the fields on it this afternoon.

Holy fuck!. It's a bit rapid for a supposedly "gentle" 4 stroke. Easy to control, but once you let it rip, it goes like a greased weasel with a rocket up its arse.

Fuckin' love it.

Even if I have to dress like this....

S7000020.jpg

Archived