First Two Stroke? - 125cc?

SamB

It seems the lovely two strokes in PB over the last few years have had some sort of effect.

I'd like to run a 2 stroke in addition to my ZX9R.

There are some pretty good deals out there at the moment on pre-reg Aprilia RS125s. As someone use to a bigger bike will I find it too slow?

The plan is to use it for weekends/trackdays and use the bigger bike for group runs / distance work. Anyone else done this?

If 125 is too small, is it possible to buy a reliable, low miles 250cc two stroke anymore?

It seems the lovely two strokes in PB over the last few years have had some sort of effect.

I'd like to run a 2 stroke in addition to my ZX9R.

There are some pretty good deals out there at the moment on pre-reg Aprilia RS125s. As someone use to a bigger bike will I find it too slow?

The plan is to use it for weekends/trackdays and use the bigger bike for group runs / distance work. Anyone else done this?

If 125 is too small, is it possible to buy a reliable, low miles 250cc two stroke anymore?

I'd have thought you may as well get a bigger bike. I'd have thought the 125's will sell at a premium as they are learner legal(ish.) Also, they will probably have been owned by someone without much mechanical aptitude!

Yes you'll find it slow. But then you'd find an RG500 'slow' as well, compared to a more modern 900cc 4T...

I've seen a few ads for RS125s 'cheap', but cheap is relative - you could get a good 250 (admittedly over 10 years old, but still a good 'un) for a lot less money or a rattly early TZR and do it up - mate of ours lent me one of his TZRs when I was getting a new tyre fitted at Donington the other year. It was fantastic fun to ride flat out just about everywhere, right up until the gear lever fell off. It cost him the grand total of £150 and the time to strip and rebuild the engine to change a crank seal.

Another way of doing it might be to get a 250cc road registered enduro bike cheap and then turn it into a stroker version of the moto450 bikes - new forks and wheels are "all" you need...

Dave

The whole idea of a 125 came from adverts like THIS ONE

If I get one with 0 miles at least i can knacker it myself.

Yebbut, for that money a quick look on Bike Trader shows an MC21 in Repsol colours, a coupel of RGVs and a TZR reverse cylinder. Ok, they're all a tad old, but the RGV would appear to be a UK bike, all receipts and old MoTs and saves you a few hundred quid. You'll get double the horsepower than a derestricted 125 and 20+mph more out of it...

Dave

The whole idea of a 125 came from adverts like THIS ONE

If I get one with 0 miles at least i can knacker it myself.

Sorry didn't realise you had your eye on new bikes.... Yes, you could have the privilage of doing all the damage yourself!

I wouldn't suggest going down this route thought. It makes no financial sense. You'll lose loads in depreciation, many of the cycle parts are cheap/nasty, it won't be cheap to run and you aren't limited by law so why ride something so slow?

I would suggest finding a really nice 250 two stroke. You could probably spend plenty on it and have change left over....

Go looking for the nicest RGV/KR1/TZR2503MA/TZR2503XV you can find....

:thumbsup:

Food for thought - thanks.

I did find a really nice looking RGV VJ23A on there earlier, but it was six grand!

Yeah but isn't that the fancy, dandy 70° twin? There's probably only a handful in the UK. - You might as well just buy a TZ250 V-twin or an RS250!

I am actually thinking of getting a rs125 to turn into a track toy, slow as hell but fun...

thye bike is from a friend and will cost me the grand sum of 200 quid, and it is running.

though i am think of going down the big bore kit route, all in all 1 grand should see me a fully sorted 36bhp "weapon", should be fun i think!!

try your local gumtree, find one for a few hundred quid then work on it yourself!!!

thats my plan... if i stick to it!!!

yup si is right

got this about 3 weeks ago :icon_blackeye:

IMGP0067.jpg

Mmmm... Nice... What sort of money do the NSR's go for these days?

I'd better not though... I want a TZ....

I am actually thinking of getting a rs125 to turn into a track toy, slow as hell but fun...

thye bike is from a friend and will cost me the grand sum of 200 quid, and it is running.

though i am think of going down the big bore kit route, all in all 1 grand should see me a fully sorted 36bhp "weapon", should be fun i think!!

try your local gumtree, find one for a few hundred quid then work on it yourself!!!

thats my plan... if i stick to it!!!

Not that slow mate i have 1 and my son has one im 32 my son is 18 both my bikes are tuned (my sons more than mine) atm i have a slightly ported intake, arrow full system, 34mm Delorto Flatside. My sons has a stage 3 Bob Farnham Engine, Arrow Full System,Polished and ported 34mm Carb, HPI Cdi and soon to have a lightend flywheel its good for 36 bhp running slightly rich, mines made 31 bhp running slighly rich. and can easily do 110 mph on sat nav, my son said to me he had 125 showing on sat nav dont know if i believe him though, and btw we both use them on trackdays and there little weapons.

Mmmm... Nice... What sort of money do the NSR's go for these days?

I'd better not though... I want a TZ....

mc28's, daft money £4k-£6k

mc21's, fairly daft money £2k-5k, mc21's used to be where the smart money was, not any more unless you find a bit of a project.

mc18's, peanuts £500 - £1500 maybe, here's the smart money, the best electrics, the best engine (and both mc21 and mc28 engines bolt stright in anyway) and the easiest to derestrict.

mc16's, free with cornflakes, a few hundred quid, but stuck at 45bhp.

real (i.e. Honda) RS250's are good prices these days for what you get, £4 to £5k gets you a bike that wouldn't have been out of place in a 250 GP 10 years ago, makes best part of 80bhp, weighs 105kg and is capable of giving anything this side of a superbike a run for it's money.

mc28's, daft money £4k-£6k

mc21's, fairly daft money £2k-5k, mc21's used to be where the smart money was, not any more unless you find a bit of a project.

mc18's, peanuts £500 - £1500 maybe, here's the smart money, the best electrics, the best engine (and both mc21 and mc28 engines bolt stright in anyway) and the easiest to derestrict.

mc16's, free with cornflakes, a few hundred quid, but stuck at 45bhp.

real (i.e. Honda) RS250's are good prices these days for what you get, £4 to £5k gets you a bike that wouldn't have been out of place in a 250 GP 10 years ago, makes best part of 80bhp, weighs 105kg and is capable of giving anything this side of a superbike a run for it's money.

Yeah, I think I'd be much keener on an RS250 or TZ250 for myself but not so useful for the road I suppose!

its good for 36 bhp running slightly rich ....... he had 125 showing on sat nav dont know if i believe him though

Well the KTM GP 125s have roughly 55bhp and top out at around 140mph, so I guess there *may* be a touch of teenage exaggeration going on....

Once they're moving 125s aren't slow, but there's not the instant shove of a 900cc 4T, as currently used by the OP. Once flying, then I doubt there's much between them on a fast lap of most circuits as the 125 will be pinned everywhere....

Dave

Someone on a another forum had 131.

Sameshoz on the 125sbf:

For the record, I've had 131.2mph, using my Satnav. Can't disclose what mods I run, but I'll assure you it's still a true 125cc.

And about the Moto-GP Bikes they might not be running the longest gearing they could.

Someone on a another forum had 131.

Sameshoz on the 125sbf:

For the record, I've had 131.2mph, using my Satnav. Can't disclose what mods I run, but I'll assure you it's still a true 125cc.

And about the Moto-GP Bikes they might not be running the longest gearing they could.

Interesting! How often do you have to take it to pieces?

What made you decide to keep it at 125cc?

6 mph faster than PB got from an Aprilia RS250 yeah? And just 3 mph behind Leighton Walker's MRO lap record holding RGV250 VJ23?

:eusa_whistle:

Just for clarification, spacemonkey and fontyy, trackday addict was quting someone called "Sameshoz" and didn't claim the speed himself - I'll agree that Sameshoz sounds like a ;) , though, and I bet he knows the fella I used to know who had a 150mph X7 and once got 125 mph out of a GSX250 twin..... :rolleyes:

As for it maybe being all down to gearing, how much run up does a "highly tuned" RS125 road bike need to get to that kid of speed? :eusa_whistle: If it's just a case of finding a 27 mile straight then the bike ain't going to be much use for racing/track days.

Hmmmm... gravity = 9m/s per second accelleration... What kind of drop would you need to reach 130-ish? Or would aerodynamics mean the terminal velocity of a bike dropped off a cliff can't get that fast? :thumbsup:

Dave

Just for clarification, spacemonkey and fontyy, trackday addict was quting someone called "Sameshoz" and didn't claim the speed himself - I'll agree that Sameshoz sounds like a :eusa_think: , though, and I bet he knows the fella I used to know who had a 150mph X7 and once got 125 mph out of a GSX250 twin..... :)

As for it maybe being all down to gearing, how much run up does a "highly tuned" RS125 road bike need to get to that kid of speed? :icon_blackeye: If it's just a case of finding a 27 mile straight then the bike ain't going to be much use for racing/track days.

Hmmmm... gravity = 9m/s per second accelleration... What kind of drop would you need to reach 130-ish? Or would aerodynamics mean the terminal velocity of a bike dropped off a cliff can't get that fast? :D

Dave

Point taken about the original poster of that nugget of 'information.' - I didn't look properly at the ID on that post.

I was hoping to get a reply that revealed a little more ignorance of the laws of physics but it was obviously a futile thing to do 'cos he wasn't ever here in the first place! There was always the possibilty that it wasn't bullshit and he has a nitrous bottle or nitromethane injection.

It's a bit of a giveaway when he's not at liberty to say what has been done to it. That suggests he doesn't know or hasn't really done much. Normally those that modify their bikes are in a hurry to tell everyone who will listen! It's similar to the reply you get from a boy racer about his Vauxhall Nova. - 'It's fully raced toooned, init!' Ask 'What have you done to it?' They'll say 'Everyfink!' 'Full racetoooonned...'

I have a near bog standard RS and although it is light and goes around corners, etc the suspension is absolute shite (budget for new forks and a shock.) Also, it may do a genuine 100mph on a really good day but I wouldn't call it fast. - 110Mph with plenty of work sounds reasonable to me.

yup si is right

got this about 3 weeks ago :icon_blackeye:

IMGP0067.jpg

That is one nice looking nsr Jay! Dont see many in that colour.

I'm with Si & co, you can still buy a nice tidy mc21 for the money you are looking at. Plus if you want to sell it you will get your money back if not more the way prices are rising at the moment.

What will your 125 be worth in a year or two(although you will probably be bored of it before then)?

That is one nice looking nsr Jay! Dont see many in that colour.

I'm with Si & co, you can still buy a nice tidy mc21 for the money you are looking at. Plus if you want to sell it you will get your money back if not more the way prices are rising at the moment.

What will your 125 be worth in a year or two(although you will probably be bored of it before then)?

Logical.... Simply a better bike + not likely to depriciate much, maybe even appreciate....

cheers lads ,after riding a viffer 800 all week its a right riot riding the NSR feels like a 125 sizewise compare to the viffer ,im grinning like an idot riding it

6 mph faster than PB got from an Aprilia RS250 yeah? And just 3 mph behind Leighton Walker's MRO lap record holding RGV250 VJ23?

:shock:

fontyy, you bad. still, the emoticon and your sentence have me in stitches. prod 125 claims in top speed are always bound to raise a smile. i think that 125 must be on a par with the quick f250's!!

just to add, i dont think the 125's are especially light. alright compared to a big 1ltr 4 stroke but my nsr125 felt heavier than my kr1s race bike!! prob making 4-5 times the power in restricted form it makes sense to buy a nice 250 and spend the change on tyres/suspension and pattern bodywork. the prilla is miles better than the nsr in terms of spec id imagine but still suffer the fate of haveing rubbish forks regardless of how pretty the frame/swingarm are or how fast the motor is compared to other 125's. if your hooked on the idea of a 125 get a superteenm bike as it will be soprted and have 30 odd hp. those bikes are well capable of seriosly quick laps considering there a road based 125. i say rgv/kr1s/nsr or tzr and have it prepped to cope with track day hammer.

Archived