Pluging tyres

drunkn munky

had a nail through the rear on my gsxr 750 which is currently sealed with that slime stuff. Tyre is in very good nick and the hole is in the meaty part of the tyre and on the shoulder part, nowhere near the sidewall.

question is do i plug it? id normally throw it away but theres nothing wrong with it and dont wanna waste my money if i dont need to

opinions please

The safest option is to bin it and buy a new one, however if you use a mushroom type plug (fitted from the inside of the tyre) I can't see any risk in plugging it this way.. I have done it occasionally when money was tight.. If the tyre is in good condition I would plug it, the weather is cold and the roads are still slippery so you are probably not riding at 100%, so use the tyre for a while, if it holds up then thrash it when the warmer weather arrives and if it doesn't feel right then bin it.. You only wasted the cost of the plug..

Personal opinion, not backed up by any scientificness at all.

No dont plug it.

I have never, and dont think I will ever plug a bike tyre.

I know its ok, just cant make myself do it.

I rode around with 4 plugs in the back tyre of the bandit last year, it was fine. Even at speed it was fine. cheaper than 4 new tyres in a month and a half too!

Where'd you get that kit from Number One? It looks a bit better than what I was using.

edit to ad, my plugs went in from the outside of the tyre, just one of the kits on ebay. no problems. But if you're going to worry all about it you'll be better off with a tyre for your piece of mind. I'm just a hairy risk taker innnit.

The logic behond not plugging it is about as sound as the logic behind not walking under ladders; it could be iffy but really?! Get it plugged and be done with it. I went on a trackday on my road bike once with 6 plugs in the back. When they took that one off it looked like an inverted hedgehog. I've done innumerable plugs to tyres, on all my bikes, and I've never had a problem with any of them, nor do I know anybody that's ever had any problems with any of them, ever.

So long as you're not taking the piss and sticking them in the sidewall then you'll be fine. You don't need to use the ones that require taking the tyre off either. My favourite, for ease of use as much as anything are the ones that come with a sort of figure 8 shaped plug that you poke in with the little tool thing, then lop the outer bit off once it's set. You don't even need a super posh bit of kit like number1, just a £15 kit off ebay. Try to avoid the ones with the normal stick shaped bungs as they're a bit trickier to guage how deep you've gone in.

And in terms of how it feels, I'd put money on it that it'll feel 10 times better than however long you've been riding around with a kilo of that slime slopping around waiting for you to get a puncture.

Always plug my own tyres.. (though not lately.) this is my puncture repair kit..

3383193122_cc07edd48e_o.jpg

Yarp. Got one of these. Havn't used it in anger yet but I was messing around with an old tyre and when I was getting a new tyre on I had a good look inside of the old un. I was pretty impressed at how well it had sealed.

I'd put money on it that it'll feel 10 times better than however long you've been riding around with a kilo of that slime slopping around waiting for you to get a puncture.

Havent rode the bike with the slime in it as yet, i only stuck it in to seal hole once id pulled the nail out but i have used it in another bike and didnt notice any vibrations etc from it slopping about. is it a bad idea to use this stuff then?

after spending 140+ on a new rear then having a nail through it within 3 days, i took to a local honda dealer and they wouldnt do it,so called a mobile tyre fitter who ended up fitting me a front and plugged it for free, never had any problems and it was taken to 150mph so thats confidence enough for me. but... was central to the tyre and not in the tread!

Havent rode the bike with the slime in it as yet, i only stuck it in to seal hole once id pulled the nail out but i have used it in another bike and didnt notice any vibrations etc from it slopping about. is it a bad idea to use this stuff then?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'd bet that a plug has less impact on your riding than a load of gloop in your wheel (the plug'll have zero impact, the slime might be noticable, just). So long as the hole's not massive a plug'll do it and take about 10 minutes to sort out in total. Watch out for the funky frosty stuff that appears on the cannisters too, it's bloomin' freezing! got to agree with greg too, th ekit at the bottom looks like really good value, it's a posh bit of kit and there's loads of plugs in there.

Well,after buying a new back hoop for me blade the saturday before last,and finding a screw in the fucker the friday after, I had mine plugged. Fuck it. The trackday at angelsey last year was on two plugged tyres...... ;)

The guy who plugged the tyre on my 1100GS last year (using the same kit as NumberOne), said he rode back from France at 160mph+ on a ZZR11 with four plugs in the rear tyres. He may have been lying, but I believed him.

The plugs are designed to outlast the tyre.

I had a puncture in my rear Pilot Power 3 weeks after I bought it and my local bike shop fitted an internal mushroom plug (the puncture was in the recessed part of the tread.)

Damned thing lasted the life of the tyre and never once looked like losing air :D

Bob

When I was still being a bike courier, plugging myself at the side of the road was the only way to make money. Once had a Bridgestone rear that looked like the inside was lined with porcupine. Watling Catford were really impressed & kept it for a while to remind people how funked up the local despatch community was.

Don't know if slime is the way to go, I stopped using it when a tyre company refused to repair a tyre 'cause the slime would intefere with the plug adhesive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that when you use a plug or patch on a tire, it drops the speed rating of the tire. Anyone else here something like that?

I read somewhere that when you use a plug or patch on a tire, it drops the speed rating of the tire. Anyone else here something like that?

I was told it drops the speed rating by one by the tyre fitter when i had my fisrt tyre plugged. To be honest its never slowed me down. I rode to Spain last year with 2 plugs in the rear tyre and then did two days on track when I got there with no problems.

The bloke who plugged a tyre on the 7R said he did 170 on his old ZZR11 back from France with 4 plugs in the rear. I trust him!

i plugged a tire at a trackday on the advice of the man who owned the tire company at the track, if he okays it, and throws away a sale, then i trust plugs and him, and it was fine, heat cycles and all, and was the crappier "bong resin" type of exterior plug

Archived