Disable desktop notifications?

moto4

The title says it all. Recently logging on has resulted in a pop up asking to allow notifications. Without a clearer explanation of what this meant I ignored it. Eventually it pissed me off so clicked to allow. I don't want it but the disable is not in "notifications". Where can I find the option to rid myself of this option?

16 minutes ago, moto4 said:

Non of which say anything about desktop notifications!? Am I missing something?

yeah, the bit is says about desk top notifications.... :lol:

I unticked one of the boxes, I cant recall which one it was now. I then refreshed the page and it asked me if i wanted to allow "desktop notifications" I then selected NO and have not had them since... Sorry but your going to have to untick by trial and error..

I bet it's underneath the screenshot pop up box.

That was'nt helpful was it.

Well, I've tried ticking and unticking each and every option on this page. It is simply not there!

It may be unhelpful but I suspect you are correct Fuelline!

I have messaged Admin twice but with no reply. Maybe no one knows!?

Are you on a pc?, if so go to the top on the page to where the url goes, there should be a pb page type icon to the left handside, right click on that and see if it gives you a list of allow/disallow options..

46 minutes ago, VanWinkle said:

Are you on a pc?, if so go to the top on the page to where the url goes, there should be a pb page type icon to the left handside, right click on that and see if it gives you a list of allow/disallow options..

Yes, a PC. I've tried each of the top righthandside options. Unsure what you mean re left side. There's nothing I can see on the actual website that allows any changes.

44 minutes ago, VanWinkle said:

You have got the "notify me of replys" switched to off( just abover the submit reply button)?.

Yes definitely switched off, thanks.

39 minutes ago, CMSMJ1 said:

what browser you using?

in chrome - settings> more tools> extensions and turn it off in there.

Yep, chrome. Good idea, thanks.

Well, I've switched absolutely everything off I can find - EXCEPT: one is obliged to click one email notifications option annoyingly.

Still, on my "Notifications Settings" page there remains a large green banner that informs me I still have desktop notifications activated for some reason.

I guess the last option is to cancel my account. Shame but there it is, I guess.1_zpswldcitfl.png

right.

Go to chrome settings

Content settings

scroll down to notification settings

manage exceptions

delete the pb forum bit

come back to the forum - it will ask to allow notifications - block

Buzzin

32 minutes ago, moto4 said:

Yes, a PC. I've tried each of the top righthandside options. Unsure what you mean re left side. There's nothing I can see on the actual website that allows any changes.

Yes definitely switched off, thanks.

Yep, chrome. Good idea, thanks.

yes. left, double right click on the page icon in the url bar..

On 28/11/2015, 21:53:20, VanWinkle said:

This also throws up a question for admin, why is connection to the forum not coming up as secure?.

Because it isn't secure? (i.e. the connection isn't SSL encrypted)

OK guys, I finally got it thanks  to CMSSMJ1 and, especially VanWinkle. Thank you lots and for being patient. Interestingly, I followed each step CMSSMJ1 suggested and it seemed to accept it but still I was getting these dratted notifications (Jaycee, I'm happy your happy ;-)) However, when VanW showed the screenshots of the paper thingy and I followed that, I found there was indeed an extra cookie - (despite the fact I had cleared "all site cookies" on Chrome, worryingly!) that repeatedly buried itselft again each time I wiped them all, when I logged on to the site again. Obviously SOME option I had permitted meant it could re-establish itself even when I had wiped all cookie data. This is worryingly unclear.

Still, sorted now. A thousand thanks.

Archived