brake disc question

Frey Bentos

This thought hit me one day last week whilst eating crinkle cut crisps and looking at my brake discs. Why arnt brake discs made with ridges around them like the grooves in an old record, with pads made to fit? Shirley this would increase the surface area that there was to play with and therefore give a stronger brake without having to resort to bigger discs?

Please note that I am typing this out loud without thinking about how stupid this question may or may not be.

Technically mionded chaps? Any answers.

This thought hit me one day last week whilst eating crinkle cut crisps and looking at my brake discs. Why arnt brake discs made with ridges around them like the grooves in an old record, with pads made to fit? Shirley this would increase the surface area that there was to play with and therefore give a stronger brake without having to resort to bigger discs?

Please note that I am typing this out loud without thinking about how stupid this question may or may not be.

You'd probably have to have much more meat (fnar fnar) on your pads, and your discs would need to be thicker to allow for the depth of the grooves.

I know what you're saying though, and understand your logic, but think, at the end of the day, you're probably talking shite. :D

You'd probably have to have much more meat (fnar fnar) on your pads, and your discs would need to be thicker to allow for the depth of the grooves.

I know what you're saying though, and understand your logic, but think, at the end of the day, you're probably talking shite. :D

That sounds about right to me too... Good idea but the grooves would have to be fairly big as the pads are not located rigidly and radiussed to avoid stress raisers. Then discs would end up a lot heavier and at the end of the day you could just put more pots on your calipers to get more surface area. I have considered using two calipers on a single disc to get more area. The heat build up would be rapid but probably not too bad as long as the bike is not used on the track....

Too many stress raisers in the material so they'd fracture realy easily as well.

And knowing the lack of imagination of most m/cycle manufacturers we'd probably all end up with discs that played 'Born to be Wild' :D

OK sad bastid mode....

The idea of a groved disc is a good one but the problem lies with the high spots which would heat up very quickly and possibly too high for the pad material to cope with. This would lead to what is called "gassing off" NO not farting but where the binders and other materials in the pads heat up so much that they create a gas or steam which pushes the pads away from the disc. This is real brake fade not the lever coming back to the bar that is just the fluid boiling up. The disc needs a granular structure to the disc material and this has more surface area than the stainless steel plate which is usually used. This can be brittle so now most of the top disc manufacturers like to use a material which it almost a cast stainless steel so it has an almost granular composition but has none of the brittleness of cast iron.

After running the pads out on my old fiesta I had this effect, it was shit . And took about 3000 miles to bed in.

Good answers men. :wacko:

I was wondering if anybody had ever thought of this before and dismissed it or if infact I was a fucking mechanical genius and didn't know it and therefore sitting on a million quid idea.

Sigh.

Good answers men. :tumbleweed:

I was wondering if anybody had ever thought of this before and dismissed it or if infact I was a fucking mechanical genius and didn't know it and therefore sitting on a million quid idea.

Sigh.

What you don't realise is that we all nipped down to the patents office while you were reading.... Just in case! ;-)

dammit. I claim my £5.00.

here ya go Gretch. Spend it wisely

5.jpg

I thought it was a brilliant idea. This lot don't know that the fuck they're on about.

In true Dragon's Den stylee this fiver is in return for a 50% share of Gretchstoppers or whatever you call 'em...

...maybe Rimbiters?

Archived