DR800 320mm Disc conversation

Tim Guy

Got a DR800 SM that Im slowly converting over to a supermoto.

All coming together and then Ive shot myself in the foot.

Ive got some WP factory racing USD forks which have already been modded for the DR800, alas the guy sold the adapter bracket for the caliper.

More pressing....

I bought some DR650 hubs already laced to morad rims off 'The Bay' but I didnt realise that the bolt pattern for the hub/discs is pretty unique.

So, does anyone know if theres anyone that sells blank discs that I can drill myself, or has anyone got any other suggestions of discs that fit DR hubs, or in actual fact any other solution?

Failing that its a case of selling this wheel set, and mabe buying some ktm / a.nother set of wheels and getting them machined to fit the forks.

Cheers

Tim

pictures - making a bracket isnt the end of the world, and lets have a look at the disc/wheel interface, something is normally doable

Got a DR800 SM that Im slowly converting over to a supermoto.

All coming together and then Ive shot myself in the foot.

Ive got some WP factory racing USD forks which have already been modded for the DR800, alas the guy sold the adapter bracket for the caliper.

More pressing....

I bought some DR650 hubs already laced to morad rims off 'The Bay' but I didnt realise that the bolt pattern for the hub/discs is pretty unique.

So, does anyone know if theres anyone that sells blank discs that I can drill myself, or has anyone got any other suggestions of discs that fit DR hubs, or in actual fact any other solution?

Failing that its a case of selling this wheel set, and mabe buying some ktm / a.nother set of wheels and getting them machined to fit the forks.

Cheers

Tim

Do you have the four bolt pattern discs?

[edited to add: yes tom, I realise on reading it back that you are talking about the 650 hub...never mind eh]

The 750 had 280mm discs with four bolts. The later 800's (like mine) had 300mm discs with six bolts, but I'm not sure if the early 800's had the same brakes as the 750.

As of this afternoon (and a couple of hours fighting with tyres), I've finally actually got an 800 wheel on my 800, so I've got brakes that work. Woop.

Have a look here for the mother of all threads on the big DR's - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362489

Might take you a while but there's a few bits about brakes in there somewhere. There's a guy who posts as 'bluesman' who has tried a few different setups.

Disc to spoke clearance is quite tight on the stock wheels and forks, which rules out 99% of opposed-piston calipers. Shame as I have a big pile of 4-pot tokicos in the garage.

And post some pictures dammit.

S'ok Dave, I knew that it would get there... :(

If It weren't for the change of forks I would've sugggested GS500 (a known fit) or SV650 (unknown but fuckit I'll try it) wheels, Yes I have ben drinking, pork scrtrathing?

If you have a disk on the 800 wheel then to use the laced to morad wheel you could get a disc carier cut - try Stealth they should be able to do that.

[edited to add: yes tom, I realise on reading it back that you are talking about the 650 hub...never mind eh]

The 750 had 280mm discs with four bolts. The later 800's (like mine) had 300mm discs with six bolts, but I'm not sure if the early 800's had the same brakes as the 750.

As of this afternoon (and a couple of hours fighting with tyres), I've finally actually got an 800 wheel on my 800, so I've got brakes that work. Woop.

Have a look here for the mother of all threads on the big DR's - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362489

Might take you a while but there's a few bits about brakes in there somewhere. There's a guy who posts as 'bluesman' who has tried a few different setups.

Disc to spoke clearance is quite tight on the stock wheels and forks, which rules out 99% of opposed-piston calipers. Shame as I have a big pile of 4-pot tokicos in the garage.

And post some pictures dammit.

lol.. Pictures when I can. the WP forks arent currently on the bike. I was going to get the front all mated tomorrow BUT wthout a solution for brakes Im going to bang that on the head for the time being.

The DR 650 wheels are the four bolt pattern, I bought these before the WP forks came up (and pretty reasonable too)

THE DR800 is a SM model which is 1990 and has the Four Bolt 280mm discs.

Originally I was going to take the disc off my DR800, stick it on the DR600 wheels and bobs your uncle.

BUT

Its the WP forks that have shot me in the foot.

The DR600 wheels are going to have to have new bearings and spacers for the WP forks anyway, so Im thinking shall I just search for a KTM / Burg / A.nother front wheel and do the same thing meaning that id get a better 320mm solution.

Downside, wheels and hubs are all gonna be a mismatched. The DR600 SM wheels arent stunning, but at least it all matches up.

Could get a rear KTM / Burg / A.nother to match but mating that up is going to be a right ball ache and I really want to keep the cush.

Hmmm.. More thinking before I jump head first in.

Tim

Tim? How did you get on?

All on hold mate while I search for a brake solution.

Ideally Id like to find someone who can give me a blank disc that I can drill.

Ive mailed flymos chineese wave disc guys to see if their drilling them, themseves.

I was thinking of phoning harris but I dont think they make their own discs anymore do they?

The guy who sold me the WP forks has a friend who works for AP racing, Hes got full AP racing stuff on his DR750, front and rear, but your talking 800quid+ for the front alone.

Saw a set of ktm wheels on the bay but the guy wants 600quid, that appears to be the going rate so Im gonna have to use these DR wheels for the time being.

If the worse comes to the worse, Ill use the 280mm standard discs and use the standard caliper, and, ere, brake a little earlier.. lol

Tim

• 6 months later...

Bumping this:

Managed to get a 4 bolt 320mm disc from GoldFren so im back on track, all be it abit behind.

http://www.timguynet/Pictures/dr800/forksa...ff/IMAG0253.jpg

Ive picked up a 4 piston caliper from another DR chap, made by Braking??

http://www.timguy.net/Pictures/dr800/forks...uff/braking.JPG

Its got a 5/8 connector on it and Im looking for a singe disc master cyclindert fit.

Anyone care to throw some suggestions into the pot? I suppose I can use any master cyclinder with a custom braded hose, so I suppose any suggestions would be welcome.

I was thinking of a Gixer 6, or maybe something from a KTM or Husky.

Cheers

Tim

Bumping this:

Managed to get a 4 bolt 320mm disc from GoldFren so im back on track, all be it abit behind.

http://www.timguynet/Pictures/dr800/forksa...ff/IMAG0253.jpg

Ive picked up a 4 piston caliper from another DR chap, made by Braking??

http://www.timguy.net/Pictures/dr800/forks...uff/braking.JPG

Its got a 5/8 connector on it and Im looking for a singe disc master cyclindert fit.

Anyone care to throw some suggestions into the pot? I suppose I can use any master cyclinder with a custom braded hose, so I suppose any suggestions would be welcome.

I was thinking of a Gixer 6, or maybe something from a KTM or Husky.

Cheers

Tim

GSX-R 600 has a twin disc setup, but you know that already.......

You just need to get a M/CYL and then ask Venhill to make you a hose to fit both the caliper and m/cyl, SORTED.

Archived